SPAM + dr.bugbee method journal

No I haven’t, yet anyways. I am very curious though and mostly would enjoy asking a million questions.

I too dislike adding Si to feed water. I got my hands on a 50lb bag of Vansil W-20 a while back… are you in the US? I used seven spring farms.

Just to compare notes, I started with Bugbee spec media and after a few runs have decided on a blend; Promix HP (which is ~70% peat) then I add more verm to get the peat to 50%, and then mix in gypsum pellets (crushed) and Wollastonite (powder). Promix comes loaded w/ myco and lime, and they have a biofungicide which is just added lacto bacteria of some strain. So far so good but I’ve only run a few things to flower with it.

2 Likes

that mix pretty much sounds the same (even better with the myco added, which i actually do and dont sometimes - I wish i could get impello tribus, but it is hard to - im not in the US and getting Wallastonite is very difficult as well).

I have done all my runs with it. Most of the issues ive encountered have been Ph. Otherwise just minor adjustments like the calcium and magnesium (w/ calimagic) and the mkp in flower.

if i see a plant get issues ill ammend, for ex, I did have a sweet seeds bruce banner that I remember amending with epsom salts, but honestly, i think i could have skipped it, i havent touched the epsom salts since then.

i asked because thats where he told people to add the wallastonite i believe (along with rice hulls and some other changes).

I followed his free video (peat/verm + gypsum/dolomitic lime) and just ammend as i see issues, but in general i see healthy plants. Most of my issues have been when I go negligent or lazy with ph.

2 Likes

He posted a video with more recent tidbits on media. I ran Tribus once, but now run kefir whey from my milk kefir… has all the B vits, aminos, microbes you could ever want.

About 33 minutes in…

1 Like

I have a Canadian source if you are in Canada.
(Black Swallow Soils)

Cheers
G

2 Likes

At the beginning of this specific grow I dropped the trays with the seedlings on the floor and I had to grab whatever I could, wash and re-pot. That caused many to die, but also, all the seedlings got mixed up. I had no idea what I was growing except for a lilac diesel clone and a Goji that didn’t fit in the Goji tent.

I think I have an idea based on profile of each:

I have 3 melonaid zkittlz (they all have the same lime smell, maturity rate, and structure)

1 blue sherbet (this one has more of a sweet with a bit of citrus, and it’s actually purpling)

1 Xanadu (bandaid haze x pre98 bubba) I was fearing this, cus this haze needs 14 weeks, and as you can see all others are practically ready and this one still a few weeks behind.

9 Likes

Cellphone Photo dump

Melonaid skittlz, blue sherbet, and Xanadu. Plus lilac diesel and lilac diesel reveg. Plus spirit hashplant and terpenado seedlings.

9 Likes

What is he using for wetting agent now ??

apparently he uses AquaGro 2000G but dont quote me on that. I dont use wetting agent because i pre-hydrate the peat slowly by hand.

(another benefit of the wetting agent is uniformity when watering but… i dunno… id have to compare to see how much that benefits truly. hope that helps)
AquaGro2000

3 Likes

That stuff seems to only be sold in bulk as in 50 pound bags which is way more than I need. I’m just going with powder yucca . Seems like a popular alternative.

2 Likes

I have a generic type question about gypsum and Calcium Carbonate. Is the initial amounts shown or recommended for soil just a once and done at start of veg ? I know Gypsum CaSO4 is a slow release and I presume so is Calcium Carbonate so are you guys adding more via drench or ?? throughout the grow cycle up till harvest ?? I really cant find a solid reply but sense some may add more gypsum along the way until flip.

1 Like

I only add the gypsum once when preparing the peat mix (at the start of the grow).

Bugbees tap water is heavier than mine so i need to add calcium in each fertigation (i add it with magnesium via calimagic - because my tap is about 100-120ppm). I add 3g to 4g per 10L. If I dont do that some plants may show calcium def.

2 Likes

This is strawberry headband, smart move, dragons milk x bc/bd, babylon buster, and gg4 all in 1 gal pots.

These were harvested today. im certain of the lilac diesel and goji, the rest im almost sure they are Melonaid Skittlz, Blue Sherbet, and maybe a Xanadu.

This should be blue sherbet

melonaid skttlz

Goji

Xanadu

lilac diesel

+more pics

12 Likes

Excited to see what you produce w the Dragon Milk cross. Im thrilled w it so far. Im getting an incredibly smooth strawberry kush smoke from mine. My hope was to find an occasional Strawberry Milk pheno (from grandma’s side) but in this first test batch, I ended up w 5 of 7 girls w strong strawberry terps all throughout flower which have held through cure. They’ve changed a bit, the strawberry has backed off though it’s still there and especially on the after taste. Really smooth, creamy chem notes dominate the flavor at first pull.

5 Likes

That sir is frosty!! Beautifully done.

2 Likes

Lovely looking nugget bot, looks more like ice than frost :+1:

2 Likes

Nitrogen def? i feed high in N so - prob nutrient lockout. PHed flush and cross fingers. Otherwise, its roots… and damn.

2 Likes

thanks! maybe not as good as it looks, but a solid sativa high. ill wait for curing to check on flavor etc.

1 Like

Ok small update. these are all 1 gal pots. week 5 flower.

1. @Floyd GG4 are looking stellar. smell is a bit on the citrus side but theres also a little earthy/chem from the GG4 S1 i knew. very curious about how these develop.

1. @catapult dragon milk x black domina/beatrix choice, there is one that smells exactly, exactly, like tangerines.

1. strawberry headbands have developed a sweet/candy with a bit of citrus, some others smell like candy with a bit of chem/gas. Unfortunately one of the Strawberry headbands has a serious root issue (at first i thought deficiency/ph issue, but a phed flush did not help) imma let her finish if she doesnt start throwing nanners.

1. the smart moves have a fake/candy lemon smell, reminds me A LOT of Ethos Apex, but sweeter.

11 Likes

Thanks for the update. They look amazing, they all do.
Amazing what your doing in 1 gallon pots.

1 Like

thank you for them! i wish i kept a male around (i had a three-cotyledon male that grew well), but i still have more seeds and gg4 plants in veg.

once the pheno hunt is over im planning on switching back to 3-5 gal pots, and see how they grow in there.

2 Likes