SPAM + dr.bugbee method journal

Interesting topic!

science_in_hydroponics posted this on instagram
I did not know Mr Fernandez was still around.
Thanks for the link.

2 Likes

Hey there! thank you for your kind words.

the Peters Peat Lite is at 6g per 10L or 6g per 2.6 gallons. the important thing is to hit a 1.3 including tap water (my tap water is 120ppm average).

in flower I add 50-100ppm of MKP in general (which usually adds up to a teaspoon per 50L, and lower the Peat Lite Special a bit depending on how the plants are taking the feed in flower) so that would be a 1.3 to 1.5 EC.

If I see that plants get a bit N toxic I lower the Peters Peat Lite anywhere from 5 to 5.5g per 2.6g with the added MKP targeting 1.3-1.5EC. if that makes sense?

The mix right now is:
40% PEAT
40% VERMICULITE
20% PERLITE

• Added
    Dolomitic Lime at 40g per 28.3L of medium and
    Gypsum at 10g per 28.3L of medium

Let me know if you need any other info!!

2 Likes

hey man! yeah hes a refreshing voice in the world of cannabis for me. didnt know he was known or had been around before, i saw his stuff a few month ago barely.

1 Like

He is the inventor of hydrobuddy one of the first DIY fertilizer software programs.
That was 2010-2015 or so I think???
So yea, the guy has been around for a bit.

He has a ton of good info to share, I will have to get updated now…LOL

Thanks again
shag

3 Likes

He’s a member over on beanbasement currently.

Interesting strain list can’t wait to see them all in flower.

3 Likes

most of them have shown sex now, im still on the fence about one or two.

joy sticks were all male :confused:
on the flip side, i have like 6 strawberry headband females, and a couple females of everything else.

Spririt Hashplant and Terpenado have been sown directly into peat (without any pregermination) hopefully they all come out in a few days.

1 Like

Sucks about the joysticks. It happens sometimes. Maybe you’ll end up with a super high female count next time :stuck_out_tongue:

They all sound really interesting but I have my eye on those terpenado because I’ve had a pack of those sitting around for years that I’ll eventually get to. Really curious what it’s gonna smell/ taste like. Good luck :man_dancing:

1 Like

Good deal, that’s a bang-on 120N target at that input. I like to compare things to Jacks 321 because of the 321 ubiquitous, it’s easy schedule and the 150N target being so average.

This graph might spark some discussion. I know Bugbee relies on the media amendments and Tap for a lot of the Ca, Mg, S, and Si.

That chart includes ~100 PPM MKP elemental // or around 0.2g/L.

I know Bugbee leans on Wollastonite for Si at 1g/L. Was wondering if you were adding any Si, via wollastonite or otherwise, to the feed or media?

Only other thing I can think of right now for sparking a discussion is that Bugbee has also shared some pretty stout Fe targets, while PLS is fairly light in Fe. Have you ever seen an issue?

Micros

5 Likes

Great thread following closely

1 Like

my tap water is actually a bit softer than Utahs. So I add calcium/magnesium with CaliMagic at 3g to 4g per 10L.

So Silica is prob the most controversial for me, because you could say vermiculite but its solubility is apparently null. I used to add Armor Si, but at the same time it caused issues with the fertilizer, im thinking about adding it again to a clone I know well, to see if I can spot any improvements worth keeping it.

Ive always wondered about Jacks, but since Peters Peat Lite is easily available for me…

sometimes ive see a little lighter leaves than i would like, but nothing that warrants checking something for iron, what do you use?

Also, did you buy his/utahs university course?

1 Like

No I haven’t, yet anyways. I am very curious though and mostly would enjoy asking a million questions.

I too dislike adding Si to feed water. I got my hands on a 50lb bag of Vansil W-20 a while back… are you in the US? I used seven spring farms.

Just to compare notes, I started with Bugbee spec media and after a few runs have decided on a blend; Promix HP (which is ~70% peat) then I add more verm to get the peat to 50%, and then mix in gypsum pellets (crushed) and Wollastonite (powder). Promix comes loaded w/ myco and lime, and they have a biofungicide which is just added lacto bacteria of some strain. So far so good but I’ve only run a few things to flower with it.

2 Likes

that mix pretty much sounds the same (even better with the myco added, which i actually do and dont sometimes - I wish i could get impello tribus, but it is hard to - im not in the US and getting Wallastonite is very difficult as well).

I have done all my runs with it. Most of the issues ive encountered have been Ph. Otherwise just minor adjustments like the calcium and magnesium (w/ calimagic) and the mkp in flower.

if i see a plant get issues ill ammend, for ex, I did have a sweet seeds bruce banner that I remember amending with epsom salts, but honestly, i think i could have skipped it, i havent touched the epsom salts since then.

i asked because thats where he told people to add the wallastonite i believe (along with rice hulls and some other changes).

I followed his free video (peat/verm + gypsum/dolomitic lime) and just ammend as i see issues, but in general i see healthy plants. Most of my issues have been when I go negligent or lazy with ph.

2 Likes

He posted a video with more recent tidbits on media. I ran Tribus once, but now run kefir whey from my milk kefir… has all the B vits, aminos, microbes you could ever want.

About 33 minutes in…

1 Like

I have a Canadian source if you are in Canada.
(Black Swallow Soils)

Cheers
G

2 Likes

At the beginning of this specific grow I dropped the trays with the seedlings on the floor and I had to grab whatever I could, wash and re-pot. That caused many to die, but also, all the seedlings got mixed up. I had no idea what I was growing except for a lilac diesel clone and a Goji that didn’t fit in the Goji tent.

I think I have an idea based on profile of each:

I have 3 melonaid zkittlz (they all have the same lime smell, maturity rate, and structure)

1 blue sherbet (this one has more of a sweet with a bit of citrus, and it’s actually purpling)

1 Xanadu (bandaid haze x pre98 bubba) I was fearing this, cus this haze needs 14 weeks, and as you can see all others are practically ready and this one still a few weeks behind.

9 Likes

Cellphone Photo dump

Melonaid skittlz, blue sherbet, and Xanadu. Plus lilac diesel and lilac diesel reveg. Plus spirit hashplant and terpenado seedlings.

9 Likes

What is he using for wetting agent now ??

apparently he uses AquaGro 2000G but dont quote me on that. I dont use wetting agent because i pre-hydrate the peat slowly by hand.

(another benefit of the wetting agent is uniformity when watering but… i dunno… id have to compare to see how much that benefits truly. hope that helps)
AquaGro2000

3 Likes

That stuff seems to only be sold in bulk as in 50 pound bags which is way more than I need. I’m just going with powder yucca . Seems like a popular alternative.

2 Likes

I have a generic type question about gypsum and Calcium Carbonate. Is the initial amounts shown or recommended for soil just a once and done at start of veg ? I know Gypsum CaSO4 is a slow release and I presume so is Calcium Carbonate so are you guys adding more via drench or ?? throughout the grow cycle up till harvest ?? I really cant find a solid reply but sense some may add more gypsum along the way until flip.

1 Like