Specializing in hot peppers

I just got a sample/sponsored bag of hp promix…has anyone grown peppers in that… Or how to use it… I have to always feed it right it has no nutrients and shouldn’t let it dry out ?? Any advice will be very much appreciated thanks

1 Like

I have definitely used promix for peppers , just follow directions for your choice of nutrients and you should be good to go , so far I have found that peppers like the soil to dry up before watering.

3 Likes

Flowers are not falling off anymore, should see some fruit developing soon.

8 Likes

Thanks @matos420 … appreciate it

Mine are finally big enough to get into 2g pots… well most. I still have chocolate habs and fatalii to bring in.

So far:
Shishito
Naga Smooky
Aji Lemon
Freeport scotch bonnet
Ghostly jalapeño
Sugar Rush peach

13 Likes

Sound very tasty. Best wishes on the journey ahead friend

2 Likes

14 Likes

Has anyone grown these types?
I’m interested in flavorful types, I like heat too, but flavor more so.

Yellow Fatalii
Aji Charapita
Madame Jeanette Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion Orange
Aji Fantasy White
Coyote Teeth
Aji Limo / Lemon Drop
Tangerine Tiger

5 Likes

Ahh.:thinking:. Nope sure haven’t… But they do sound interested though

1 Like

I grew some aji charapita last year, still have one plant I’m over wintering. Quite low yielder compared to my other plants, but then again the peppers are tiny.

Flavor is pretty nice, fruity, and not super hot (the super hots are a little much for me).

Mostly I grow a long cayenne style that I brought back from Italy for cooking.

7 Likes

Yes. Fatalii, Trinidad Scorpion, and Aji Limon.

Fataliis have been the hardest to start consistently, but the the best heat/flavor ration seem the best to me. My favorite pepper, they ferment beautifully.

Scorpions are mostly just hot.

Ajis are mild and flavorful… easy to grow too.

5 Likes

Aji Lemon actually have a citrus flavor to them?
I’m looking for people who have some experience vs my non experience so I can order without waisting $

1 Like

This looks knarly and cool. They do well with cooking or sauces?

1 Like

I think they would do great in sauces, but haven’t tried that yet. They remind me of datils, which by themselves already taste like a delicious fruity hot sauce.

I use them in cooking occasionally. Hoping to get a better yield next year and experiment more.

2 Likes

My son and I have only every grown Jalapeño peppers from seed, but he’s shown a real interest. So, I’ve just planted;

Cubano Brown
Poblano
Unknown type

From amazing OG’ERS here, hopefully will order Aji Pineapple or Lemon types :yum:

Plan is to grow for personal use & have some fun tryin to cross breed them.

6 Likes

Chilis breed in kind of weird way due to the different species that we call collectively “chilis” also they are normally self pllinating, so if you want to know for sure you have a cross, you have to prep the flowers in a particular way. Here’s a neat little guide.

5 Likes

I likey…

2 Likes

Thanks for the link @potpotpot, very interesting.

I have yet to find the photos but I have been growing
habaneros, Scotch Bonnet, Arapaho, jalapeño, serrano,
Bhut Jolokia, Poblano and assorted colored Bell Peppers
for a few years now. I have not thought about cross breeding but,
sounds like fun. Maybe 2024 I’ll give it a try.

3 Likes

They do. Fatalii’s too. Neither are a very strong citrus, though. One of my kids makes a fermented hot sauce called Lemon Bomb, with both those chilies, and throws some lemon balm in there for some citrusy punch.

2 Likes

Sounds amazing, I’m looking up how to make fermented sauces myself right now

2 Likes