Spider mites in flower

they’ll be back! :scream_cat:

I am trying a indoor crop during summer for the first time in years. I used to spray “Einstein’s Oil” every 2 weeks and for the last time at 2 weeks into flower and it worked great to prevent the outdoor bugs from taking hold. Going to try it again this summer and hope for the best. It’s Neem-based but has stuff like garlic also.

2 Likes

Yeah your right about them coming back. I had a paper towel with some azamax so I could coat the leaves without having to spray anything. I’ll go through and do that everyday for a while

I use a combo 1-2 punch of expensive harsh chemicals [Avid / Forbid alternated 5 days apart for three sprays in veg only]…never in flower. In flower if you try to treat them by limping along all your gonna do is make them very persistent and little better with the resistances…some try to limp along and fail other get lucky. My mentor taught me to not fuck around, get them handled and then move forward. In the end that’s the quickest way to be rid of the problem and back growing healthy bug free plants.

4 Likes

Word, I’ll probably try something different next time I veg. I was also seeing some white dotted trails on a couple leafs. Not all over the place like mitez.

1 Like

Summer seems to be the only time I get them.

1 Like

“Listen, I know it’s gonna be tough, but stay frosty. If even one of those things gets in here, we’ve had it.”

14 Likes

Day 56 of flower and I’m getting close to harvest time. Saw some mites on one plants main cola and another plant with quite a few mites on the lower parts of the plant. I took those two plants out of the room to harvest a little early. Going to see what happens with the remaining plants in the flower room. How you you all handle this situation? Any one else have mites near harvest time?

3 Likes

Try to keep temps below 27C for two spotted spider mites. Adding predators might help you sleep at night, if you need another 10+d.

1 Like

Word, I don’t have too control over the temps. I was thinking about predatory mites. I have heard of people using a small vacuum to suck em up

2 Likes

Thus far I think I’m just going to spray them with cool water. Maybe a water and hydrogen peroxide combo. Would this be better to do when the lights come on or just before they go off?

1 Like

I did and my mentors had me take them early. I had sprayed with Method-1 three time 3/4 days apart and added predators too.

1 Like

Gotcha, yeah I ended up taking two of them down yesterday, trying to see how long I can get from the others

1 Like

You might consider doing a 3 part bud wash. I’ve used this method after harvest in the past with great success and fairly minimal potency loss:

Just make sure you got a nice good place to dry em as they’ll be very wet for the first day or two and we don’t want mold or mildew setting in.

2 Likes

@Lucy247420 Usually with spider mites if you hang your branches on a line and spray neem or any mite killer on the end of the string where its anchored after a few days of drying the mites will try to leave the plant via the hanging rope and they will bunch up right before where the bug spray was applied. It takes them off your harvest, keeps them from spreading off the line no lost potency and you can spray or smash the anger out on them bastards at the end of your rope haha

7 Likes

Thanks for the replies you guys. I think im just going to keep an eye on the situation. Not a big fan of dipping my buds in any kind of liquid. Especially when i have just a few days left. Again thanks for the replies.

4 Likes

It’s an after harvest dip

Yeah i understand that, same principle still applys for me tho

1 Like

If not washing (I can see how that could be sketchy for some), I’d recommend what @hoodini said, they do tend to vacate pretty quickly, and also are attracted to bamboo so you can use that to your advantage. Remember the lifecycle, just because you rid the adults doesn’t mean the eggs aren’t still on the product.

Yeah i ended up just hanging them on some string to hang dry like i normally do. They dont seem to be spreading too bad. Keeping a close eye for sure. I hate these things!

Hydrogen peroxide and water at 6% will work too if you’re far into flower. They also don’t like much movement so stick the problem plants infront of a fan… the breeze should make life unpleasant for them too

5 Likes