Spill ur' Beans

Hey @DavesNotHere! One hell of an impressive list. Is this for “show and tell” or are any of them available. Thanx!
:cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Mostly for show. A lot of what’s on that list is on another list for crossing and evolving/preserving lines.

3 Likes

Right on. You’ve got some priceless shit on that list!
I think I came a little while perusing. Love and respect

5 Likes

If you have a problem with what Mycotek did, you’ll hate Colin from Ethos. I admit that those mandarin sunset crosses put out some serious heat.

1 Like

Not too sure we are talking about the same actions of myco, and perhaps Colin did the same thing, difference being myco shit on a personal friend.

2 Likes

Two more added to the list and the vault.

14 Likes

Crocket Family Farms
Crocket Dawg
Tangie
Crockets haze
DNA
Chocolope
White Widow
Critical + 2.0
Medical Seeds
Channel +
Bomb Seeds
Cherry Bomb
Gorilla Bomb
Jinxproof
9LB hammer
Pyramid
Tutankhamen
WOS
Ko Chang Thai (supposedly)
ACE
Malawi X Panama
Golden Tiger
Dr Krippling
Incredible Bulk
Delhi Friend
Nirvana
Aurora
AK48
HSO
Bubba Kush 2.0
Bubbas Gift
Black DOG
707 Truth-band
Barneys Farm
Critical Kush
Pineapple Chunk
Acapulco Gold
Generic
Cindy 99
AK 47
Amnesia Haze

And heaps of unknowns.

And then LOTS of crosses and double crosses and back crosses of the above as well as lots of pollen. I mix the pollen with food grade diatomaceous earth and store in the deep freeze at -40 C. They more or less last forever.

11 Likes

Hola @slain

Nice I like that idea of stashing
pollen with food grade diatomaceous

I wil have to try that

Thanks a million

Bare

6 Likes

Ya that’s really cool. Just thaw and apply?

2 Likes

Yep that’s it. I keep it stashed in those small 1.5 ml centrifuge test tubes you can but off Ebay so that I only thaw out the small amount I use. Then I just use a small paintbrush to apply it to the buds I want to seed. If I am doing a number on the same plant, I just use different coloured zip ties around the branch so I can remember what is what lol.
Because the diatomaceous is highly absorbent and moisture is the enemy whey you thaw it seems to work better. Also it doesn’t clump together like flour does. Seeds freeze just fine I have found as well so I keep all of mine double packed and frozen.

8 Likes

Wow. Did you figure all this stuff out on your own? I get the impression you’ve been kinda flying solo in your growing career?

You have some really cool takes on alot of aspects of growing, you’re definitely an engineer or nerd of some sort lol. I think you’ll like it here!

Edit: also, how many seeds do you generally get from ‘paintbrushing’ a bud?

5 Likes

Thank you for those “pearls” @slain. That goes right into oleskool’s Big Red Book of Aquired Knowledge!

4 Likes

6 Likes

How much GA do you put on the beans? How do you apply it? I have some stale beans that struggle to sprout.

7 Likes

I threw away so many ‘non viable’ seeds until somebody showed me that if you scarify them slightly even older seeds have a much higher chance of popping. So all I do is get some emery cloth or wet and dry sandpaper, the finer the better, then I hold the seed between my thumb and finger and lightly sand it on one side of the non pointy end. Just enough till you crack through the skin, too much and you will sand into the future stem of the sprout. Also after you have done this, soak them in some warm water for a while. I think when seeds get old, they lose some of their vitality and the shell gets too hard for them to crack. This won’t work on every seed of course, but it definitely makes a big difference to strike rate.
I had always just assumed older seeds that failed to germinate meant that they were no longer viable. If only I had known this before I threw out so many seeds lol. I am interested to hear about using GA as well.

7 Likes

Mostly, though there is a solid community here to pick up ideas from . I studied biology for 2 years before transferring to engineering, where I worked in R&D basically making stuff up on the fly and seeing what happened. I more or less do the same with growing, the more you do it, the less catastrophic results seem to occur, though there is still the occasional fkup that goes well pear shaped of course!

Re how many seeds. It depends a bit on how much you dilute the pollen, how viable it is and of course the size of the branch you fert.
I find the best result I get from the pollen is if I harvest it every couple of days once the flowers start to spill the pollen.
As far as I can tell, the pollen really only remains viable for a few days so if you leave the male flowers till it all seems ready then a lot of the older pollen is aleady non viable. All I do is dry it in a paper bag for a day, then simply grind the flowers and the pollen up and mix them 1:10 with DE.

Most of the time you can expect 50 or so seeds from a decent bud. Most of the time I end up with way too many and end up giving them away.

5 Likes

I tried scuffing these seeds. I even tried cracking them open gently like nuts. Neither method worked. These were tired old seeds according to the donor. GA supposedly makes plant cells elongate to get seeds going. It will also turn your plants into trans genders if you use to much. I do not want my plants to change sex. Just need enough to germ. I bought some GA crystals and they sent a chart with how much to use on different plants. Cannabis is not listed though.

4 Likes

http://ilovemarijuana.cl/?p=5337

6 Likes

Great stuff, it’s always good to get learn new techniques and perspectives.

3 Likes

Thank you senor Scientist!

So 100ppm to 250ppm of GA in water for 24 hours is the right dose. Less if younger, more if older.

Now I wonder what the recipe is for making bananas and selfie spray? So I used google and found: Formation of male flowers is generally promoted by concentrations of 10 to 200 ppm, female flowers by concentrations of 200 to 300 ppm.

3 Likes