Springtime outdoor harvest

I was wondering if anybody else did this.I have been growing for 15 years and have been doing this from day 1. I live in inland southern California in a garden zone 8.I get clones about the first week of January veg them 18/6 8 weeks inside under T-5s and then flower them outside. I have grown outdoors in the “normal season” and light dep. But I seem to get some of my best Quality in the springtime

8 Likes

Very interesting, I couldn’t do this where I live but see how beneficial this could be.

1 Like

Yeah I did it this spring, socal doesn’t get enough light to keep anything in veg except from late may/early June (basically right now) through mid July.

You need some kind of supplemental light to veg them up to the size and shape you want, but once you stop supplementing, they’ll flower. I’ve read posts by other people who grow nearly year-round this way, pulling plants whenever they want to flip them.

I just cut this jealousy like a week ago, and I have some smaller plants in 2 gal fabric pots I need to harvest in the next few days before they get any ideas about revegging.

10 Likes

Yes, I live in Australia i’ve been growing just over 20 years and in the last 10 years I’ve been doing this. I’ve had to do it because at least 95% of what I have growing has come from clones I need to bring them in to give them extra hours of light until the end of November

Some years when the sun is good, these plants grow quite big And it gets quite a lot of work to bring them in and put them out again each day so I break the plants into two groups then I alternate each group comes in every second night this seems to be enough to stop them going into flower

Sometimes in summer when the days are long. I bring them in after 12 hours so they can flower

2 Likes

yeah about 8 years ago I had some sour diesel seedlings re-veg on me ,but they were about 3 maybe 4 weeks in to flower . Now I have some plants 5.6 gallon air pots at 10 weeks and they still stacking , only 1 is starting to amber, any thoughts or sugestions

My understanding is that trichomes turn amber once the gland has died and the resin has begun to oxidize, so when I see small amounts of amber on the actual bracts and calyxes, I consider it good to harvest.

As far as the light cycle goes, we’re already at 14 hours, 14 minutes of true daylight, with 27-28 minutes of civil twilight on either end of that, which is more than enough to get the plants flipping back to veg.

If you wait a week to harvest, you’ll be playing with fire a little bit, and if you wait two weeks I would be very surprised if they didn’t reveg by then. Other folks I’ve seen writing about their perpetual outdoor harvests outside the peak of summer used June 1st as their cutoff date for harvesting.

4 Likes

thanks ,they are all in a screened in structure ,looks like it’s time to harvest or go to harbor freight and by a tarp

1 Like

after 2 joints and some sleep i decided to harvest. They’re all starting to foxtail and have plenty of red hairs so I guess it’s time

2 Likes

I’m in so cal also I’ve thrown a clone out in December and made it to harvest but I’ve played with the idea of putting out some indoor veged plants did light deprivation on a half dozen plants last year when I put them out in March stuff turned out great

2 Likes

Do you have a monsoon in SoCal?

1 Like

Not really, there are intermittent rains in January through March, and we get May grey/June gloom where it’s cool and overcast, but we don’t have persistent humidity until July and August, which can be a problem during flowering for the traditional outdoor summer crop, you need to manage your mold risk as best you can for that reason. I guess you could say we’ve got a late summer monsoon season but it’s manageable before then.

3 Likes

Does it ever get below freezing there?

1 Like

No, our yearly low is somewhere in the high 30s Fahrenheit, sometimes low 40s (so no lower than say, 4°C in the middle of winter)

2 Likes

Nice. We have really mild winters here in Georgia, as well. Summers get around 35C, only occasionally getting above 100F (37C). The humidity here is what can make it unbearable. I had just come back from Germany with its cool maritime climate when it rained here, and there was actually fog…in the middle of summer with temps in the 30s F. Where I live here has some of the lowest average relative humidity in the state. That is to say it averages around 60, whereas it’s 61.5 (more or less) elsewhere. The humidity here is strange, since it routinely gets below 30%. I also live on the side of a mountain, where water can’t accumulate. I live in something of a microclimate that encompasses a few acres, a small patch of Mediterranean climate in the midst of a subtropical region.

3 Likes

Sounds lovely, I would kill to have that much land to plant! :joy: Your house must be a really pleasant place this time of year.

2 Likes

It is. The muscadines are growing up a wild cherry tree, and it’s amazing. It really is like something out of my dreams. It’s very green, growing up trees precipitously (sorry, don’t know how else to describe it). The trees are tall and covered with vines with bright green leaves. It’s even surreal.

3 Likes