Not too early to sow at 43 north, right?

This is a couple days ago happened in a little spot I throw small amounts of plant waste. It’s been mid to high twenties at night. In theory, these are going for it damn early, aren’t they? Or, in theory will any seed be triggered to germinate in above freezing temps?

I’ve stress tested all my outdoor stuff into freezing temps. So, here are some fun theories as to what it could be…

I tried to make seeds with Berger Bubba by crossing it to Staten Island Diesel outdoors, the weather didn’t cooperate and I was a little late. That plant got tossed in the vicinity. But, there were multiple buds, I still see it, and all the beans seemed immature and the plant was dead.

I recall tossing a bud of Sour D BX3 that was pollinated by BBM x VB from JJ in there. I also put some coco out there and I believe it was from a small pot that had a plant in in that dropped some beans. It was a plant that only made like 50 beans, so that seems like a high percentage of dropped beans.

I’m going to go with, a bud of something I pollinated outdoors last year got thrown in that little pile. I also have a suspicion that it might be Blueberry muffin x Vintage Blueberry related given the Alaskan background of the VB and resiliency of the Blueberry muffin, and there were a few plants close by holding seeds from that boy

Damn I love mystery genetics. What’s wrong with me?!:joy:

The next week is above freezing, we just had cold hard rains, so I don’t see them succumbing to the mild weather before they might be safely dug up and relocated.

I’ll toss more pics up as days go on

14 Likes

Id argue it’s too cold but shit if it works it works.

4 Likes

@Foreigner We all know it’s too cold! :joy: I’m shocked they germinated and grew into fine looking seedlings. There are zero flowers popping up, but I suspect we’ll start seeing it this week.

Also, if these things are capable of just spreading outdoors in these cold ass temps?! Would be fun if we of the north could be harvesting an outdoor auto come late May or early June landrace style and then get a second harvest, from progeny if we wish :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Yes they look very good. I’m happy to be wrong sometimes.

4 Likes

I guess what I’m saying is I’ve been thinking for years that we could use some more Blueberry Plants of a different type around here in the forested and farming areas :wink:

3 Likes

11 Likes

I watched a grow along with Ron Herrington a (now retired) breeder from Alberta. I think he must be well above 50° North. His preferred Method to breed for hardiness is to bring out his seeds in late Autumn. His seedlings are getting snow and frost after germination quite often. Atlas Seeds is now working with some of his library.

11 Likes

That’s really cool.

I have some strains I’ve put together simply because they were the last plants standing kind of stuff. I have some autoflower seeds that were a gorgeous purple color and it was remarkably resilient in every way. It also smelled like the inside of a shop vac that just cleaned up a musty basement full of peppercorns. I pollinated it long after first harvest and it produced a second harvest of some beans at 150+ days :crazy_face:

I always love plants that just grow well no matter what

5 Likes

climate change is a thing that is helping you here. in wv at around 39n the easter lilies are out in full force about two weeks early. been getting earlier for about a decade now. trees are in full bud and hopefully they won’t die off in another frost like they did a few years back. breeding to handle cold was one thing i had planned on working on when i start the hemp outside next year so i am interested in seeing how this goes. good luck with it.

2 Likes

This year El Niño is exacerbating that I’m sure. As of a few minutes ago, they survived the cold weekend

4 Likes

Why do seedlings never get less exciting :joy: We have 10 total

9 Likes

No shit! As a outdoor hobby grower who doesn’t have a constant grow but rather one grow a year (although I am trying a few autos this year), my heart was racing the other day when I choose a first round to germinate. I’m so fucking excited!! Pot leaf hopper

10 Likes

In addition to a bunch of moms, I’ve got this happening as well.

Black widow, drunken bastard (damn these were a bitch the germinate), cereal milk S2, Blueberry Sativa auto regs, Jammy Dodgers 2 x Blueberry, and some pink Panama x strawberry nuggets

2 Likes

It’s early for my taste at 45°n but looking at cities around 43 I see some forecast for 12-18c (55-64f) which is about where you should start popping seeds and taking cuts.

I mostly go by date myself from experience… late freezes will mess with a year start.

we got a foot of snow just yesterday hahah

2 Likes

They appear to handle the cold well the thing you will have to worry about is the duration what light cycle is currently going down.Around here in Western NY we always used to put out our plants a couple days after Mothers day Now we wait almost 2 weeks after and keep em inside an extra week.The light time is screwed up a bit and some of the plants want to go into flower super early.

3 Likes

Its almost like the angle of the Sun has changed.I think our earth is on a unique ecliptic pattern that gets offset wnd this has been happening for a long time.I think global warming is a part of it.The plants don’t lie

3 Likes

My first crocos popped today. We had some warm days that could of started them popping

If you have an old window, you can make a cheap “greenhouse” over them.
I never set anything out on it’s own without cover before Memorial Day. I remember we got snow that weekend :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :open_mouth:

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

And then there were 5… While I was worrying about the weather, a rodent or bird took out half of these.

2 Likes

I have found them Knee high in May they may surprise you.

2 Likes

It was hit and miss, and slow going, but they made it through! Nights as low as 22f low 20’s multiple nights, several 30 degree days, and 3 snows. Notice the maple tree seedlings that sprung a short time later :green_heart::heart:

5 Likes