Starting the First Dandelion Tea of the Year

In a couple of weeks I will have six or more five gallon buckets with this one.

I will let this bucket soak for an hour or so then rinse off the dandelions. I will be using water that I have had in buckets for a week or longer for the brew.

What teas do you brew from scratch?

7 Likes

I do actively aerated compost teas following the backbone of revs recipes with some changes of my own that seems to benefit my soil healthy greatly.
One of my secret weapons is blending fresh aloe leaves part of my base water for the tea. Another one in my arsenal is going fishing the day before a tea get brewed and bring home a live fish(usually catfish or bass) and leave em in a tub with my air pump over night and the following day either release it back into the swamp or clean to eat and the water they bubbled in I use for the tea(if I cleaned a fish the guts get thrown in during the brew as well ). What I’ve dialed in with these recipes has given me some of the most gnarly vigor I’ve ever seen with organics :wink:

7 Likes

Bass tech huh! Cool!

1 Like

I’ve got a dandelion tea steeping in a 5 gallon since Sunday and another 5 gallon with a weeks worth of food scraps (coffee grounds/fruit/veggie peels/general nitrogen rich compost materials) should be ready this weekend and they should last a while! Just gonna leave it all in there and occasionally add more water/material. JADAM practices say that it gets better the longer it sits.
Anaerobic fermentation FTW!
I think I’ll start one with purslane next week too

2 Likes

When you catch and release, what are you getting by having the fish swim around in your bucket? Fish shit?

Pick the dandelions when fresh, blend them in water and freeze them in ice cube trays, then you can use them all year round. I do the same with kelp I get from the beach :wink:

5 Likes

Someone’s dog has likely pissed on the dandelions :rofl::v:

1 Like

A little uric acid is good as well for your plants :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I assume it is for the aquatic microorganisms to populate the brew.

3 Likes

It all just adds to the taste I suppose :rofl:

3 Likes

Fish shit is the minimal part of it, it’s all about the active microbes that come from it. Actively aerated compost teas (AACT) are all about incubating microbe cultures so much like adding the fresh worm castings for a microbe charge to incubate, I’m just adding more diversity by throwing aerated fish water from a wild fish out of a swamp

2 Likes