Strain preservation?

New to the breeding game to please excuse what is likely a basic question :slight_smile:

Let’s say you have three seeds of a particular strain that you love and for whatever reason you can’t buy those seeds anymore. You pop all three and they are all females. You’d prefer not to clone but instead create a bunch of seeds to use later. Is the only real option to try and stress the females out to create male pollen sacs and self pollinate?

It seems to me that that would be the only option but I thought I’d ask the pros :wink:

3 Likes

colloidal silver… force it to reverse sex and pollinate itself?

6 Likes

That’s about the only choice, but with only three seeds who knows what the results would be. Not much chance for selection.

3 Likes

Any pollen sack off of a female bud will not be a “Male sack” but just a pollen sack and some sort of feminization, depending on the type of process, if its genetic the seeds will be hermaphroditic aswell. If you really want those seeds , best bet is reversing one of them for feminized seeds if all 3 are female opposed to stressing it, another thing you can do is just flower it for around 14-15 weeks and it will self polinate with a few beans.

If you can take clones and just choosing not to, a longer process but better would be getting another male of another strain and making the cross of the seed you want with another strain, take the strain you made find a nice male out of it and cross back to clone of the female orignal you wanted to keep, do this 4 times and a good amount of your seed if done correctly should come out similar to the female, more you do it more it will be like the female

3 Likes

Awesome info @StrainVenator, thanks!

When you say “best bet is reversing one of them for feminized seeds if all 3 are female opposed to stressing it” are you talking about something like using colloidal silver as @toastyjakes mentioned?

Curious what you meant by " just flower it for around 14-15 weeks and it will self polinate with a few beans", I’m assuming this is after you’ve reversed it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my head around this stuff :slight_smile:

if you run a female long enough it will force itself to pollinate a few flowers to get seeds…maybe…

2 Likes

Back cross is yur best option imo

3 Likes

Soma popularized this method. Basically if you let flowers go, you can get a few male flowers to form in the buds. You can use that pollen to make feminized seeds, but you are selecting plants that produce male flowers late in the cycle. This is an undesirable trait IMO.

4 Likes

Colloidal silver is probally one of the most used “formulas” easy to aquire.

When I said flowering for 14-15 weeks its just an estimate can be sooner or later and that is just normal flowering no reversing process, naturally most strains will self polinate after a while , best thing to do when doing that is flower one and save the other so the pollen is fresh and seeds develope stronger.

But overall your best bet is back crossing, can you take clones ?

1 Like

I’d bet that you’d get a male in 3 chances anyways lol.

2 Likes

Technically I can take clones, the problem is that I don’t have a ton of space to store them and I plan on getting a few clones from other plants going as I play around with breeding. I was going to try the “bonsai mom” thing to keep them tiny so maybe I could squeeze a few clones from these in there :thinking:

Maybe I need to re-think my clone/mom setup…

1 Like

Best bet is to take a clone and dont use as a mom but keep taking cuttings when it gets to big and restarting it over until you need it, or flower out the one your guna get as cutting, only real way to really preserve genetics are to backcross it. But maybe you will end up with a m/f

2 Likes