Strains from the original Board

Holy crap that took 5 mins of scrolling to get near the bottom of that list.

5 Likes

thats a lot of fire this place has seen. really cool thanks for sharing

3 Likes

Here is an earlier version someone saved from 2000 of the original in PDF:

12 Likes

Overgrow was the mother that birthed moderns day cannabis… That’s how I see it anyways… 🤷 :christmas_tree: :muscle::seedling::heart:

8 Likes

Me too! As someone who is fascinated by narrative history and especially in cannabis, I like to soak up as much as possible. Just read the bandit of Kabul, such a good book, and also read the cornbread mafia book.

4 Likes

Good topic! This will be an interesting thread. Just off the top of my head without thinking and writing on paper for a couple day.
@50State orange goji
@Molto_Mota trumpnutz
@ReikoX ghost rose
@Mr.Sparkle cinderevil
@TestOfOath dosi cut autos
@Repins12 to many to count
@Sebring way to many to count
@Oldtimerunderground Blockead BX…autos…
Many more… Then there’s the preservation runs… man my brain just froze.

10 Likes

It’s been only the last year or so that people have been trading and gifting in mass, say two years ago people still traded or gifted seeds but I’d say it was 1/20th or less the amount of right now.

As for strains becoming popular really they just come and go as the flavor of the season.

Whether say goji og, ghost roses, dark sparks, tut crosses or whatever one thing you’ll see is what’s typically given out in volume is what as becomes popular or at least grown for a bit.

Or at least my observation.

9 Likes

Cool topic, indeed we’ve barely scratched the surface… :partying_face:

Prior to OG 1.0 in '99 there were some “proto-overgrow” sites, mostly private, & usenet’s alt.cannabis :astonished: & a lot of information was still private.

So if that’s the starting point(1999) then … Hmm. Most of the old OGers aren’t active or even current members but by 2006 there’d been plenty of sharing & crossing.

In the U S of 'Merica, the Grateful Dead were hugely significant in spreading genetics (albeit randomly through various 'heads) from the 1970s-mid-1990s.

A little earlier but about the same time would be the movement of seeded bud via the surfer scene, hippie trail, “bangkok express”, etc.

And at the same time, we have Neville’s many gifts being born. :man_with_turban: :smoking: :camel: :desert: :mountain:

The US-Viet Nam war also brought over some of the early building blocks for what we’re smoking/eating.

But if you want a “menu” or timeline of the homegrown overgrow member creations, start in '99 then stop at '06. 10 year hiatus… :unamused: due to technical difficulties … '16-present would be OG 2.0 stuff.

And consider that some stuff was worked on in parallel by friends of members (AFAIK Vic High wasn’t very active (?) but Subcool was & they shared).

:swimming_man:

…starting to get in over my head… :sweat_smile:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

9 Likes

So funny… I just heard about this strain guide from the True Canna Cast podcast with the guy that runs True Canna Genetics. He spoke highly of it and I found this thread… seems we’re on the same path.

@Dirt_Wizard I was literally just about to post the same link! Found it after a google search… Should be fun to search through. I really wish the old Overgrow was still around. Can you imagine all the threads and history??? It kills me.

4 Likes

That first link is a pretty amazing snapshot of the old collective database, I really love Baudelaire’s original as something to sit down and read, sometimes I pick a section and just read it through again. I do hope we someday see some archived discussions from the old boards but who knows

3 Likes

Ya bud… I just clicked through the links in the Reference section and there’s a gold mine of old posts!! JACKPOT!!!

I’ll have to do some reading! Thanks for the heads up!!

3 Likes

Oh yeah? You mean the old GrowFAQ stuff?

2 Likes

Hell ya man, even in the second link. Then for each strain there’s a bunch of old grow logs from absolute legends of old school OG including grows from John Lee Pedimore. This is a Goldmine!

2 Likes

As a member from that crew I would have to say AB G13 played a large part, of course C99, Jacks Cleaner, so Jack Herer, also White Widow Aloha and Greenhouse. Serious strains Bubblegum and White Label, White Russian, AK47,Kali Mist. Sag Blueberry. There’s also a few home breeds, Skoosh and D.A.B (Dank Ass Bitch - Shabang) Hyb AB hybrid.

4 Likes

I was about to say that. A gold mine of information all in one place

2 Likes

I remember Romeo and Juliet from JLP. It was a C99 crossed…with a Nyc Diesel I think?
I also remember Romp19 and Rompstar. They were Romp19 was Romulan crossed to a Peak 19.
Romp star was Romp19 x Texas Mystic.
Many other strains I just don’t remember at the moment.
If I remember correct there was some Nevilles Haze crosses as well.

4 Likes

Ya so The Romeo & Juliet from JLP was the same cross with the C99 and NYCD but with the parents switched. So one was called Romeo and the other was called Juliet. He wanted to do that so ppl could grow out the progeny and learn about what each parent does to the offspring. That’s pretty cool and I would love to replicate something like that in the future once I find a solid keeper male. Got some hunting to do first though.

2 Likes

@NorthNorthNugs since there’s such interest here, and we’re getting a lot of pageviews that will hopefully turn into some recollections from the old heads, I’m going to keep digging for info on turn of the millennium strains. Today I just came across this thread on Mr Nice forums where someone posted a full scan of the 2000-era Heaven’s Stairway catalog. I don’t have a MN forums login but might have to make one to view and download these:

2 Likes

That’s awesome! If you acquire the documents make sure you repost them here. I would love to take a look at them.

Ya, hopefully! I love strain history and old forum history.

1 Like

Curious about the sag blueberry, does it differ greatly from the DJ Short Blueberry?

1 Like