Sudden collapse in dwc

FWIW, to anecdotally corroborate @Kraven’s hypothesis, I just switches some autos (in coco) from being in the corners of a 5x5 tent under a high 600wMH, to being front and center of a low-hung 600wHPS in a 3x3. The first 2 days they were a little droopy. Not as pronounced as the pictures you posted, but noticeable.

Now on day 3, I think, and getting back up to speed. Yours will probably come back after acclimatization. Maybe this one is just genetically a tad weaker towards this type of stress.

That’s all I got, all of Happy’s $0.02 CAD worth

1 Like

She didn’t recover, opposite
This morning the right half is completely light yellow, while the other is droopy but still green.

DS

2 Likes

Well I’m stumped…?

Sorry Dee, figured she would perk back up. I don’t have a clue as to how to assist you, I have never seen this happen.

2 Likes

@Kraven thanks m8 , I’m quite beaten too…
Today she looks like she being sucked the chlorophyl on a side… :open_mouth:
Ds

1 Like

I’m following along to see what happens fosure though.

It looks worse than it should actually be.
from my experience in soil I recognize this as too high temperature, but in that case all your plants should be suffering…7
then in my opinion there is 1 thing left and that is way too much water.
i don’t think of pests or something else because the plant looks healthy of colour and no yellowish leaves or other nutritient effeciency / defeciency
If you feel the leaves, are they soft and weak or do they feel sturdy?

@Amnesia : How much water is “too much” in a Dwc system ?
Ds

1 Like

Do you have some sort of aquariumstone in the DWC which provides the water from oxygen?
And from your picture we see another plant in the background which also seems to suffer the same symptomps.

Maybe replacing the oxygen stone can help?? Is this your first time DWC or have you done this before?
Have you got any expierence in coco or soil?

also I read your topic that 1 plant just “collapsed and died”
what was wrong with that one?

:sleeping:
please , read the thread…

DS

1 Like

Salt build up in reservoir? Can you check TDS? If it was me I would clean the jimmies out of that plants bucket and add what new media I could.

Already answered in first post
Can we all skip the “already been said” part pls ?
DS

the Answer isn’t an obvious one. I hope she recovers and you can salvage.

Lacking any new information – like for instance if the plant is in the direct path of a fan, the humidity was insanely low, or contains microscopic root-devouring pests – the only logical conclusion is the one kraven positted.

The plants became acclimated to the transpiration rate required under the MH bulbs, and when the heavy infrared light of the HPS was introduced the Stomata kicked into overdrive trying to keep cool, but the Roots were unable to keep pace.

1 Like

Was reading through your threads for this grow and this isn’t the first plant that has collapsed

It stands to reason that this is enviroment related.

Sorry if this has been asked or said but do you run CO2 in the environment? Also the intake air, where is it pulled, does it blow on the plants directly?

2 Likes

I would undo the thing you did just before the plant wilted. Swap the lights back and introduce the new light for a few hours each day, increasing the time, to acclimatise the plants to the new environment.

If that does not work re-check everything. Even the things you ‘know’ without having to look…

Especially the things you ‘know’ without having to look.

I have lost count of the times I was sure of certain things with my grow, a problem happened and the problem was the very last thing I double checked, because I ran out of other ideas and just decided to change everything and it was only when I was doing that that I noticed a problem in an area I was so sure of, I did not previously check it.

3 Likes

It is strange and even though you appear to aerating the dwc well, I’m currently thinking something with O2 as well. Perhaps a perfect storm, increased transpiration requirements driving an O2 deficiency.

There is some fascinating information in the following PDF which suggests that most aeration systems supply an insufficient amount of dissolved oxygen to the roots. It also describes some of the symptoms which manifest as wilt, appearance of nutrient deficiency, the closing of stomata, and leaf senescence (starting at lower leaves):
http://edepot.wur.nl/461661
In any case, it is an interesting read.

4 Likes

Maybe fill this in with some numbers and a picture of the roots?

Sure seems strange, but a lot more info would be helpfull to try and identyfi the issue.
Given it’s been cleared, it not a simple question of a busted air pump or open stoma cells.

The other plants, are they the same clone as this one? If so, are they from the same mom?

Where is the plant located, in relations of your air intake. Whats the air temp of your intake air, is it in a draft?

What are your night/day temp difference? Room, canopy and water temps.

How is she looking now?

3 Likes

what have you actually tried so far besides checking roots water and PH?

No co2 involved…
The jb1 collapsed in a different way,at a much smaller stage, growing the 5th internode and upon investigation this happened cause roots got smashed when put in the bigger rw cube so she wasn’t really feeding… totally unrelated here…
as for numbers,
ec 1.7, pH 5.7 ,rh 45/55 %
as I said everything spot on…
she has been anyway cut and disposed of to avoid spreading of any eventual external cause, even if I’m leaning more on a “personal” problem of this specific plant…
the others are ok , the cmh now is in the clone-dedicated box lighting 15 clones in a slab-drip system so no place for a dwc bucket in there, anyway…
thanks anyway guys…
DS

6 Likes