Sudden collapse in dwc

This morning I’ve had a bad surprise, just before the coffee… one WRxBD just collapsed overnight…8 hours before she was fine, I took pics and posted her too… this morning …gone…
pH and Ec are spot on, water temp too…roots are ok … Everything looks in order.
Light been changed from 400 CMH to 600 HPS 2 days ago…
Last feeding has been shared with the others that are ok…
Any ideas ?
Pics are 8 hours apart…

Before

After

DS

2 Likes

Damn, that’s terrible! First thought was bacteria, but roots are fine. O2 is my current best guess. Any chance the air pump had an issue overnight?

4 Likes

Looks like it got too hot or maybe it’s not getting enough oxygen.

2 Likes

Only in Tenerife :expressionless: I know …
Fuck bro.

1 Like

Air pump is good… oxygenation is ok…
Other 4 plants share the room and they are fine, hopefully will stay as that too…
DS

1 Like

What’s your thoughts on a cause?

Pests seem to be the only option left, but that doesnt make sense. What causes transpiration to stop dead in its tracks?

1 Like

If I had any intelligent thought left I wouldn’t be asking… :wink:
Really… I exausted all the options but “sudden death”… Like happens to ppl…
DS

@cannacrab C/N as in calcium/nitrogen ? No… I don’t have any serious analysis equipment apart from ec meter.
Ds

I hadnt even wanted to use the words “Death Without Cause” but even still I’ve only seen that happen due to bacteria takin over the roots.

Pests on the roots is the only thing that seems to make sense at the moment (unless one of the measurement devices is on the fritz)

3 Likes

no algae , no slime, nothing strange in the rez. will take a good pic of the roots when home in a cpl hours.
DS

My guess is the 600 is driving them harder, so to compensate till they establish a bit more root mass, they are trying to get rid of excess moisture [during lights on the rate of evap due to the stoma being open wider…bigger light faster photosynthesis reaction…what your seeing is a large VPD]. Humidity change from lights on to off is causing the plants turgur to be far too high at the cellular level, so it opens the stoma wide and try’s to get all the extra water off …I believe this is where your issue is. They will “go to sleep” on me too in early flower at times too if I over drive them, leave them alone and by lights on they will be perky again.

http://www.just4growers.com/stream/temperature-humidity-and-c02/vapor-pressure-deficit-the-hidden-force-on-your-plants.aspx

8 Likes

Omg, looks like oxygen deprivation, but if you have lots of water surface movement and pump / airstone faillure are out of question (i am not considering environmental issues as you have other plants at the same room, could be co2 deprivation, heat…)

Would like to help, but no clue

4 Likes

Are sure there is mosture in the root zone? Try a manual watering and mist the plant. If lack of moisture is the problem it will show quick.maybe a blocked line or bucket?

3 Likes

Have you checked the calibration of your PH meter? I had similar drooping issues just recently in my HPA system, and it was because the PH was way off.

1 Like

As it is only affecting one plant, it seems to me like something restricted to just that one plant. If it spreads to the other plants it would seem more likely to be something common to all the plants.

If it has it’s own solution, change that. If it shares a solution with the other plants (Although you did not say RDWC) then it is not likely to be the solution. But I would still change it to be sure.

Check all airlines, water pipes, and other things which may get blocked.

Calibrate all PH, EC pens.

Maybe just give it plain water for a day/half a day/until it perks up.

You did not say, were the lights on overnight or was the plant in darkness?

As the only change is the switching of the light, this suggests it is at least partly the cause. Was that particular plant noticeably smaller/larger than the others? Did it have roots as well developed as the others?

@Kraven seems to me to be on the right track. This says to me to reduce your feed strength or give them straight water until they perk up. Maybe put your favourite root stim in there, or something like Orca which has myco and bacterial root aids.

3 Likes

They share feeding as I prepare all and then feed all the Rezs so I’ll exclude that… pH been checked with 2 different pens , deviation is 0.1 so I’ll say it’s spot on;
I already feed bcuzz hydro booster that has precisely bacteria and whatnot…
Even the rw cube in the growrock is getting moist, as the lid of the Rez so air is bubbling rite…
Pics of her thriving have been shot with light on since 2 hours while I found her collapsed at the end of light cycle.
what Kraven said make sense as the leaves are not dry at all… Opposite…
I definitely hope you are right @Kraven… !!!
Will see how she’s in a few hours…
I’ve anyway watered from top with r/o water only… When washed the nutes reddish hue
They’re white… Hairs all over… Really can’t understand what’s going on…
DS

4 Likes

Weird! They just look thirsty don’t they. I’m assuming they are watered.

I’m assuming you didn’t read the thread…
Ds

2 Likes

drowning/not adjusting too well to new spectrum/give her some wind and a day
any recent defol?
actually, what @kraven said

Ignore me today. I’m sick and on Robitussin :head_bandage: #tussintyping :laughing: brain capacity of a gnat

3 Likes