Summer of Shrooms 2021 - New England + New York

The northeast USA just had the wettest July in history and now the shroom-fest has begun! They’re coming up everywhere…being a stoner I naturally wonder “are they magic mushrooms - can I eat them” but of course I have no idea WTF I’m doing!

Is it possible these are Panaeulus Cinctulus???

8 Likes

these are cool - totally white Amanita - I believe they are Amanita abrupta

6 Likes

beautiful - velvet-like top - I think these are “Hairy Cushion”…also a couple purple ones…going back out w/ my camera today

pretty sure these are Viscid Violet Cort…

12 Likes

Mushrooms are so freaking cool… like from another planet. How they form and why… what they do to you… Crazy shit.

3 Likes

Absolutely incredible!

3 Likes

oops, looks like we already had a thread on this…so maybe this topic can focus on New England? @NEK-Fowldog knows what he’s doing and had some nice pics from Vermont

another Amanita…

another hairy cushion maybe??

have never seen these guys before - weird shape w/ a blowhole in the middle - almost all of these are growing at the base of White Pines…

these are common at the park - forget the name, ghostly white fungus flowers - flowers of the undead!

3 Likes

The third pic could be cinctulus. Take a print on black paper. If it looks dark brown it’s pan foenicseii. Cinctulus will be a purple black spore print

1 Like

thanks! so it’s the brown umbrella-looking ones - these are very common on my walks, that would be awesome if they’re magic, will have to read up on doing spore prints - there is a big group of these growing right now in the grass clippings in my yard, going to pick one now…

so you basically leave the cap on a piece of paper overnight - got it!
https://www.chicagobotanic.org/blog/how_to/how_make_mushroom_spore_prints

1 Like

Yep, and put a cup over it. If it won’t drop spores put a drop of water on the top of the cap the foen and cinct look so close the only way to tell apart is a print.

2 Likes

Yes, they are everywhere and kinds I never seen before.
:green_heart: :seedling:

Done a lot of shrooms in Belfast late 90’s lol sep-oct mushroom season could go up the field with a big bag and fill it,we make tea out of them tripping balls in the middle of the street,cars burning from all the riots

Didn’t do a lot when I moved to cali had a free use to grow them in fish tanks,he did far to many of them had to move home lol

took another walk with the camera yesterday, I’m learning a lot. The shrooms change on a daily basis as they go through senescence - also the critters are devouring them, there were several patches of neon-orange shrooms that disappeared completely overnight, I think they were Jack O’Lanterns.

All the ones I thought were Panaeulus Cinctulus vanished overnight, either from humans or critters. Found some red ones that are cool-looking:

these big white ones are amazing - they’re 6-inches across and have a big hole in the middle - everything is eating them, didn’t notice a big slug eating away until I got home & looked at the pictures:

few more good ones - these looked extremely edible, like pancakes, no idea what they are:

white and slimy

these look like creme brulee

the aptly-named “Earth Balls”

bright orange ones covering a stump, already starting to rot

possibly the red ones at maturity?? Looks tasty:

these little brown ones are the most common shroom in the park by far, they’re everywhere