Sunshine Daydream f1 open pollination

If you remember, tag me if you make a thread! Sounds like a cool project. If you want a cut (if you’re in the US) of my keeper field trip let me know. Just send me some seeds if you’re able to self it…

I would say my keeper is more a 50/50 mix of the 2 strains. I’d love to see s1’s made from it. That’s something I don’t have a lot of experience with. I’ve reversed a handful of plants before but most of my seed making is with males and females. I do want to start making more s1 and fem seeds though.

And no worries about staying on topic. I’ve probably talked about more off topic stuff than anyone :joy:

8 Likes

I just discovered your thread by looking at “top messages.” Apparently, this is THE top message on OG. Now that I found it I’ll be watching…

4 Likes

Well, damn. Now I’m feeling the pressure! :joy:

6 Likes

Took a few pics while I was in the room today. Nothing much to look at yet…

They did green up a bit from the worm castings top dressing + the alfalfa/kelp/LAB brew.

I think I actually am going to try to remain organic, at least for now. I forgot I still have a bunch of the organics alive dry soluble powder left. So I can use that for now. That stuff is pretty quick acting so that’ll make staying organic in the small pots more manageable. I still may switch to salts if I need to.

Oh, and here are the males.

They’re not quite as healthy as the females but that’s mostly doe to them being in 1 gallon plastic pots (vs. the females in 2 gallon fabric pots). They’ll be fine though.

I’m also brewing up some EWC+compost tea (2 cups worm castings + 1 cup compost mix + 1 TBSP of glacial rock dust + 2/3 tsp of BioAg cytoplus) for them.

Oh, and I have to say I am really liking the Terra Thrive worm castings I ordered a while back.

I heard Clackamas Coots recommend them and a couple other brands. The Terra thrive were the only castings that were affordable ($33 for 1 cu.ft on Zoro, with free shipping over $50 so I ordered 2 bags and used a 15% off coupon). I’ve been using them for about a month or two now and I’ve been impressed. They seem well balanced too as far as NPK. (.35-.35-.35).

I think I’ll be using the terra thrive worm castings until I get my own worm farm back up and running again.

27 Likes

Looking good @TeddyNuggets

I’m doing homemade two part and bottom feeding in coco/perlite. Will be interesting to see how similar or different our plants are.

I’m really liking #12 lately (#10 on the left), iirc it was the first to root as well

16 Likes

Aren’t all with castings going to be virtually the same NPK wise?

I guess I assumed there was something like the redfield ratio for terrestrial critters.

Beautifully grown man, love what ya got going on here much respect🙌. Looking forward to following along and wish you a successful run

2 Likes

No, not at all. It depends on what the worms are fed.
Like for ex. the popular wiggle worm castings are 1-0-0 (but I’m not really a fan of them)

Most commercially available castings are mediocre at best. They’re fed cheap diets with little actual nutrient value. I’ve only ever bought a few brands of castings that I’ve been happy with.

We have a local worm farm near me that produces great castings but they want like $80 for 1/2 cu.ft.
The Colorado worm company castings are excellent too, but again they are crazy expensive.
Black Diamond vermicompost is also great, but too expensive.

That’s why I like making my own. I feed them all sorts of good organic amendments. Or I’ll mix up a batch of compost with a bunch of organic amendments, then let the worms process the finished compost.

There really isn’t a better product for your garden/plants than well made, live worm castings IMO. They make growing healthy, vigorous plants a piece of cake.

10 Likes

My compost service for home is a worm farm and they sell various soils and castings. I’ve always used them and never bothered researching. Thanks for the info :v:

3 Likes

So, I come with good and bad news.

I put plants through some crazy rigors, I’ve been testing various plants of each of the same plants. I broke off some favorites and, well, I’ll just get to the point…

This is two number 4 on the right, 10 in the middle throwing crazy branches and single leaflets galore, and 12 and 7 on the left. They’re all in something I often use to hunt multiple plants inc, small shallow trays…

The good news, #4 continues to impress, she made it through this round of testing best, she’s the most stable of the bunch as far as I can tell. Also, she very much reminds me of dream axis smell wise so far. It’s like sweet melon butter muffins late veg/early flower. At least for me. And man she’s vigorous, she just throws branches and leaves everywhere. Mark my words, she’s the winner!

So the bad news… this is #7

More good news, only seeing stigma on #4 and they were in the same cramped pot and were both basically asked to herm

14 Likes

RIP #7

13 Likes

For a moment there thought I was looking a gpp mutant🤣

1 Like

Being able to grab the pruners and quickly dispatch a plant you know wont work out quickly with zero emotion is a must in this game.

6 Likes

@ChinookKing I kill hundreds per quarter, it still bothers me a little each time. Even the herms bother me a little. I said “sorry my friend” to the plant as she/they went on the compost pile. :joy:

9 Likes

I wondered if that was going to happen or not after seeing my fair share of them in there. Definitely some stable ones to be found though and looks like you might’ve done so ^^
Hopefully the remaining ones are solid :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! You were kind of purposely stress testing to see if they’d herm, right?

#7 is a male SSDD.

1, 2, 4, 9, 10, 11 are the females.

So, I’m wondering if I should cull that #7 male. I’m thinking yes.

I already culled the #5 male because it began flowering in veg. If I cull #7, I’d be down to 5 males (and 7 females) for this first open pollination. I know you’re not really supposed to make selections for an open pollination, but I think it’s better than adding in a male with known herm traits.

What does everyone else think?

(For those that don’t know: Me and Acro have the same set of 12 SSDD f1 clones from @Tykal )

16 Likes

I would see how it does in your environment if you start to see it herm you can make the decision then but might stay stable for you I would just keep a close eye

2 Likes

I believe you are right. The OP should not contain any herming plants. BUT don’t cull it yet. It’s too soon to make a final decision like that.
@DougDawson is a Co-op member and will advise hopefully.
Doug, would you confirm this ^ please about not breeding with a herming male, because i can’t find it in the Co-op “rules”. Thank you.

5 Likes

If a male herms it is expected that it will be culled. I would personally watch it and cull if necessary. That said, this isn’t a co-op run so the rules don’t apply. But, if it were my grow, I would kill any herms for sure. :v:

12 Likes

I forgot it was a male, “he” was loaded with stigma up top. Yes, I was purposely trying to bring out intersex tendencies.

It’s a strong plant, smells nice, gets sticky quick, which is why it was all the sudden stuck in my head it was a girl. Plus it being more stigma than nana…

It’s gone from my pool. My take… There are still a fair amount of F2 and F1’s about from others sources. Plus, it’s is a boy, so you’d have to spot pollinate if you wanted to get a look without potentially increasing the intersex tendency of the whole pack.

5 Likes