- syzygy's journal - the clown show

Haha, uh, neither. Maybe that Lavender Jack at some point, but I have a lot of those Bandaid Haze seeds, don’t really see a reason to look into that Church clone. It’s very good weed, though; if I didn’t have like 30+ of those BAH seeds, I’d definitely consider it.

Haha! Yeah! I can’t wait to see your first grow log!

That’s cool you’re seeing roots on those cuts, pretty interested to see how that Lavender Jack turns out for you. Are you gonna do the usual smaller pots thing with that one? Or maybe put her in a three-gallon? Or…?

14 Likes

I haven’t decided yet - but I’m leaning towards growing them out a bit in the 1 gals, taking cuttings, putting cuttings into .25 gals → then 3 GALS + flip.

I still have to decide what to do with the Triple Sunshine stuff. 2 Females , 1 male confirmed. Not sure about the 4th one. I am not planning on making seeds this run with it unless via manual pollination with male isolated. Probably not regardless.

12 Likes

That sure is one gorgeous plant! Hopefully the smoke treats you right given her interest traits.

14 Likes

Ya the Devil’s HP #1 and REJ really stand out in person visually. If they self seeded I could always just make edibles or practice making tincture. Also seeds aren’t the biggest deal w/ a vaporizer anyways. Reminds me I need to order from that link you posted in my other thread so I can get the ball rolling on tincture experimenting. They will stay until mature but I probably won’t be attempting a reveg on anything.

15 Likes

So do you keep your moms in 1 gals forever or do you just make new moms every so often from your clones?

9 Likes

Sometimes I do that for a long time, do a root pruning with a bread knife, and then fill back into the same pot with “fresh” soil.

Sometimes I just go with a cutting and discard the old mother.

I loosely follow that old OG guide on keeping bonsai moms that I saw 20~ years ago. I use a very weak strip light that I bought on amazon for cuttings & moms also. High powered lights require way too much in the way of up-potting and general maintenance for me.

Something like this

Here are the moms hacked way back and treated with Botanigard wp (Beauveria bassiana ). Stems get a bit elongated and they grow a bit slower under this light, which is perfectly fine for me. Not too intense for cuttings either.

The new clones are under the same type of light for now to reduce stress. I will bump the light up to an HLG board or similar later on.

26 Likes

Was scrolling through the Irene thread here and saw @nube was growing it out this fall. Figured it would be a good excuse to tag you and ask if you had any thoughts on it?

11 Likes

Triple Sunshine A early bud structure - for anyone going through pollen chucks. Plus I do love this plant…

dhp

rej
REJ - Copy REJ2 - Copy

Smelling very strong in the tent.

32 Likes

Everything coming along nicely. May add a timer tomorrow or Sunday and swap over to the HLG. A replacement Lav Jack and Bubba Kush have mysteriously arrived as well. Must be that legendary higgins we hear so much about. Whoever it was, you are the best!

Chem 91 - Pinesoul - Lav Jack - Bubba Kush (metal container)
IRENE - Triangle Kush - Bubba Kush - Lav Jack (metal container)

28 Likes

It’s raining here now, so good excuse to take pictures. Got some earlier on our walk as well. Everything is smelling really good and intense. Most look very nice as well. REJ looks extremely frosty in person. Looks almost white in person from the trichome density. Didn’t feel like taking pictures of DHP 2/3.

Triple Sunshine A

Devils HP 1

Spirit HP 1

Spirit HP 2

Redeye Jedi with a nice golden hair in the top of the bud. Wonder where that came from.

Oh right. Guess I figured it out.

Dog pics from earlier

33 Likes

Those are some very nice purebred GSDs man! The ears and enormous feet on the red/black one remind me a lot of the dogs we had growing up especially one that was really highly bred, she was bred between the Von Wilhendorf kennel in CT and the Von Der Weinerau kennel in Germany. Do you show those beauties or breed dogs?

10 Likes

Thanks, and ya her feet have always been pretty big haha. She’s very skinny because of how insanely active she is, but better on the skinny side I suppose. That’s really cool that you found quality breeders like that. I met her mom in person, and the dad had impressive Schutzhund qualifications, but what I really like about her is how well she meshes with her “mom”, the dutch shepherd.

I got her pretty much for my original dog against multiple people warning against it. “She can never be around other dogs, and MUST be an only dog”. We’re going on 2 years this spring with the puppy and they are extremely tight.

A dutch shepherd is like a German Shepherd on speed and crack (brindle malinois), but very similar to a GSD. Even at 5 1/2 years old she has as much energy if not more than the puppy still.

Here she is poking her head in a tent full of Space Monkey shortly after I adopted her :

I do not show or breed. The GSD is papered but would fail as a show dog. Agility or Schutzhund would be cool but I don’t have it in me to raise her the way you need to raise dogs to compete in that. I like letting them free roam & allow them to eat when they choose. Plus I’m no breeder - plant or animal haha.

29 Likes

Good dog… Good, good dog…

Awesome pics, although I dunno if I can get behind the dog in the growroom photo haha.

Yeahhhhh, don’t listen to them. I think it’s all on the owner: if the owner freaks out when their dog is around other dogs, their dog’s gonna freak out. If they’re cool, the dog’ll be cool, too.

This is a constant point of contention between my girl and me, which is why I’m the one who always takes her to the vet and shit haha.

11 Likes

More of their hair is stuck to my clothes than they actively shed in there, and they really don’t go in there other than to look for me. Never once have messed with the plants. I dunno, doesn’t bother me. I won’t be surprised if they run into any outdoor plants while play fighting or chasing each other next summer, but they won’t eat them at least!

Yeah for sure, and being able to read your dog. The dutch is just very bossy and dominant, but doesn’t actually have dog aggression. Training, obedience, and structure is essential as well. So ya I agree, it mostly comes down to the owner. Sometimes there are genetic exceptions, but I think usually the finger can be pointed at the handler. Especially in early life

The GSD would fail as a show dog for a variety of superficial qualities - stuff show dogs are scored on. She is a “working line” GSD and thankfully doesn’t have any screws loose.

on the breeding here’s my thinking :

If I mess up with pollen chucking it’s pretty inconsequential. Can always just cull a plant and move on. Seeds are contained to my little grow area.

Don’t know what you’re doing working with pruebred dog lines? Can end up with all sorts of health issues - real world consequences.

13 Likes

Re dogs in grow rooms: I never had a pest issue until I started letting Bowie into the room. Then I had aphids for several grows. I fucking LOVED him in there with me; he never wanted to go in there for years before, so I was just like,”Hell yeah, good boy!” but, I mean… No dogs in there ever again.

Of course, our new sweet girl walked in there twice today haha, first time she’s ever done that. Hopefully the plants’ll be all good.

For sure, man. We are definitely NOT breeding anything. Not breeding plants haha and for sure not fucking with dogs haha!

I am taking the new girl to those Zoom Room things starting next week, though haha, like a one-on-one personal training thing haha. I think she has the potential to be a Champion in the 40-pound+ agility competitions. I’m not even kidding. She’s got it in her and the classes are already paid for, so… Look out for us on ESPN!

I’m serious haha.

14 Likes

Very good point. It’s a risk for sure.

Realistically though It’s like once every few weeks they end up in there and only go near the plants if I’m in there, otherwise they peak their head in and turn around if I’m not in there. The GSD came in and sat down because it was time to go for a walk and was confused why I was in there pulling out plants to take pictures (raining).

But ya, from a pest control perspective you are absolutely correct. I’m still going to allow it though, I’d rather they go in that area than the mother area, which they do not go near.

That sounds awesome! Agility classes should be really cool. Good way to bond with your dog, great gentle training that is fun for the dog. Can be mentally as well as physically stimulating too. If my GSD was an only dog I’d definitely be looking at doing that also.

14 Likes

Devils HP 2

Devils HP 3

Redeye Jedi

Spirit HP 1

zSHP1

Also some alcohol arrived… Thanks for the heads up @Greasy - this appears to be much cheaper than Everclear locally - even with the shipping included…

Not sure when I’m going to have time to mess around with it, but is nice to have for when the time comes.

29 Likes

when the PM breaks out here before the rains you can see it on everything that the dogs can stuff their face in along the paths/sidewalks, and nothing else. mostly the same with the septoria too. i had two plants last year grown from seed that i am pretty sure got PM from a squirrel running up and down the fence line stuffing his face in all our bud plants on the block. i caught him doing it several times lol, he looked deranged. surely the bugs can trap in a dog’s fur and move easier than plant matter?

edit: if you walk in archive theres a big sign saying no dogs beyond this point specifically because they want to protect the clones (that you walk through on the way to the register/buds which i never understood)… so i guess my thoughts being if its good enough for them its good enough for me as a strategy.

8 Likes

I agree it is a risk. In my case it is a small risk, but still a risk. I haven’t had a pest in the flower area that I can recall while I’ve had my dogs other than fungus gnats. Pests can also hitch a ride in on other insects like fungus gnats and flies. It’s not the end of the world for me if I get some pests, and even if I have to shut everything down as a result I’m OK with that.

I am around plant pests all the time and I am a much bigger vector for spreading these things than the dogs. I don’t know anything about Archive but I imagine they don’t want to risk dogs messing with the plants as well. Some dogs would urinate on the plants, eat them, pull them, or just break them. Also is an unnecessary risk in addition to that so it makes sense. I know that if I had to choose between my dogs going near my plants or people shopping for clones for their own garden I’d pick my dogs every single time.

Ironically the only area I ever have any issues in the dogs don’t even go anywhere near ever. I do sometimes go in that area without changing or showering when I’ve been in pest hot-spots.

So ya I agree, you guys are right. It is a risk. I’m OK taking the risk for now, especially because they rarely even go in there. I am also aware of where they’ve been recently and would obviously have them nowhere near plants if they were in concerning areas, IE when the puppy was running through and laying in dead weeds -

Keeping it plant related here are the cuttings - old lav Jack doesn’t look great but is showing signs of improvement. New lav jack looks good. Triangle Kush and Pinesoul appear to be recovering the quickest. HLG has been on for about a day now.

Here’s the new Lav Jack

These are in an area the dogs never go (near my mother tent).

30 Likes

Yeah, with me it’s just more of an “eliminate all potential problems so that if one does arise, I know better the possible source”-type thing. And then know better the best course of action to deal with it, too.

They all look deranged. Every squirrel looks deranged. I despise them. They’re just rats with bushy tails.

Those are awesome pics, good-looking dog for sure, but holllyyyyy shit would I freak out if mine was surrounded by brush and vegetation and whatever like yours is in those pics haha.

Plants look good! Haha.

12 Likes