- syzygy's journal - the clown show

So when you made those seeds, you just left the male in there and let the pollen fly? No paint brushes or q-tips or, uh, bees on a stick? Haha. I think that that’s how I’d do it, if I ever made seeds, seems like the easiest way.

Dude, I am sooooo stoked about that plant. I feel kind of bad talking so much shit about those seeds (even though I think it was warranted), but yeah, the pics aren’t even doing her justice. She looks amazing in person, really looking forward to that one.

And everything else, too haha.

13 Likes

Ya remember I was waffling about what to do and ended up letting the pollen fly. I’m never doing that again probably unless outdoors.

The bee probably is the easiest way! I’m having to re-pollinate the stuff that I did with the Qtip, yet nothing that I used the bee for needs to be re-pollinated for a week or so…

It’s just not the same as the bee …

That seems to be the way things always go for me haha.

The everything else looks good too, I’m just not big into the NLD stuff personally. That may change one day though. Interested to see how the 3kxSL compares to the Imperial majesty - they look kind of similar to me.

11 Likes

Haha, no, I meant I’d just leave the male in the tent, not that I’d use a bee on a stick. That’s fucking crazy haha.

Hm. I don’t think so. Those Imperial Majesties were really lanky and flimsy and stretchier. Smaller flowers, too, for sure. That Triple Goddess is reeeeeallllyyyy starting to fill out, had to stake her two days ago because she was starting to leeeeeeean. I was worried she was about to snap at the base, actually.

I’m not sure what she’s taking after as far as the genetics are concerned, but I’m thinking the Headband, maybe. They look like this unbelievable batch of Headband I got years ago, except denser. Whatever she’s leaning towards, between her and the Uplifts I grew a while back, I’m totally onboard with that Snow Lotus male now, wish I had more of those hybrids to look through…

11 Likes

Bubba Kush – pollinated

I would have had to move too many sticky traps to get the other Bubba Kush (not pollinated) out for pictures. I like the plant so far though. Still looking for intersex issues on it and haven’t seen any. Leaves look healthy and seems to tolerate being in a 1 GAL pot really well. So far so good.

Triangle Kush

Pinesoul

This one is pretty frosty as well. Not as frosty as lav jack, but I’d say frostier and smellier than TK, Bubba & C91 at this point. I’ve had a Goji F2 or some other plant from B that smelled like this and my conclusion was that it smelled like pinesol. Whatever plant that I had that smelled like pinesol in early flower however lost that smell by late flower. It may have actually been the Goji F1 mom that I used to make F2s… The problem with not taking tons of notes…

Lav Jack

To me the smells are almost a bright fruity floral smell at this stage. Hard to describe. It’s definitely the strongest smelling of the group at this stage. Seems happy enough as well.

Chem 91

Triple Sunshine G

Pollination on most things seems to be going pretty well.

TK, Bubba and SSDD appear to be the least pollinated so I just used up the last of my remaining pollen on all of them and will let that sit for about 2 hours before I spray them down and put them back in the flower area. We’re back to the brush now too sadly.

Moms of the cuttings are starting to look bad so I’m going to have to repot them again probably this weekend. I’ll try to keep the Trip Sun E male around until I confirm that I have viable seeds from the TS, but we’ll see if I manage to pull that off. Looking forward to having less mother plants around here eventually.

24 Likes

I think it smells mostly like Jack Herer early on, then the Wookie comes in real strong at the end. Jack/Trainwreck is real heavy on the terpineolene, so I’m guess that’s what you’re mostly smelling early on.

That’s cool you’ve seen it pop up before. The piney smell hangs on pretty tight 'til the end with this cut, but it’s hard to get those flavors to come through in the smoke. Take that with a grain of salt, I’ve only flowered her once, so I’m sure there’s room for improvement on my end.

Everything looks good over there! Plants are looking good, haha :wink:

You’re gonna have to lure some more bees in.

12 Likes

I was about to hit you with the Plants look good haha in your thread after seeing those TK shots… Both the photography and plants look incredible, I feel blessed to have it in my mother tent! Gives me something to shoot for as far as dialing it in as well.

Yeah, after reading through my logs it was the Goji F1 mom that had this pinesol smell to it - but it transformed and was not what I’d identify as pinesol at the end. Cool that this one may hold on to it better than my F1 did. Gives me hope that it may have similar effects as well.

Ya for sure, though I am hoping to not do the seed making thing again for a while and just really focus on exploring. We’ll see if I can stick to that or not haha. I’m still pumped about the idea of going through some TS & Baba Kush F2s this summer.

11 Likes

Posting so that I don’t forget what day I flipped Triple Sun F : 2/4. Pictures with flash while I’m posting

Last nights pollination seems to have helped turn a few more pistils on the TK, bubba & SSDD

Pinesoul with some nice frosty leaves

Lav Jack with a rice hull and silver dog hair in the bud.

Triangle - hard to get this one because the camera didn’t fit in the tent with the flash on top (hits lights, tomato cages restrict access).

Triple Sunshine G - looking frostier than Triangle at this early point of growth. Much more leaf frost for whatever that’s worth. I also noticed when doing work on the mothers today that the Triple Sunshine G has thinner blades than the TK. Really looking forward to seeing how F & E compare to TK & TS - A.

27 Likes

I was like,”Uh, how friggin’ big is that flash…?” haha.

And the plants really do look good haha, I’m not kidding. I’m actually never kidding when I say,”Plants look good!”; that’s just my version of,”Ooh fire emoji fire emoji fire emoji.” I can compliment your grow AND make fun of those useless posts at the same time with that one.

Also, I don’t appreciate you and @iamyou_youareme co-opting my catch phrase haha.

11 Likes

Beautiful pictures; almost surreal! I keep hearing the Nature guy say “This is Cannabis”…lol

4 Likes

Thanks! Wish I could take them out of the tent easier in these pots and may attempt it later in flower for better color on the shots.

both the flash and the diffuser take up quite a bit of space. There’s only like 8-10" I think from the top of the tomato cages to the light frame.

Haha, thanks!

:fire:

11 Likes

Lol.

I started looking at the pics. Wow, these look great! Both the plant and the photography.

Read comments, well I was :+1:.

Great journal @syzygy!

Thanks

5 Likes

Thanks!

Glad the gnats are on the decline as well - haven’t seen one in over a week. Excessive sticky traps, bottom watering gnatrol, and adding a fan to chop up fliers seems to have done the trick.

Also was thinking about how I said that the Triple Sunshine G has substantially thinner leaves than the TK in a 1GAL plant in the mom tent - but the cutting in the flower tent has pretty wide lower fan leaves. Figured I’d post the contradiction just to see if it shows up again next time I run it.

And dog shots from the field tonight. Teaching the pup to bark on command and she’s having a lot of fun learning something new. Was fun trying to manually snap a shot in time to catch it. My camera isn’t very good at action shots or fast auto-focusing and is one of the biggest complaints that I read about it, but still fun to mess around.

26 Likes

She looks vicious, anyway haha.

Seriously? We’re always trying to teach our dogs to stop barking at every little thing haha. Does she have an issue with not barking? Just, like, a silent killer or something, no noise at all?

8 Likes

Few more pics of your SSDD f2.
Females # 1, 2 and 3 (in that order)

#1 is definitely still the fastest grower. I could probably put her into flower if I wanted but I want to give her a few more weeks to mature. She’s not even 60 days old yet (iirc I dropped the seeds in water on 12/12, so they didn’t break the soil until probably around 12/15 ish). I don’t like to flower plants from seed before at least 60 days (75 is better).

Both #1 and 2 are big enough to take clones but I’ll probably wait at least another week. I’ll make sure I have rooted clones before they go into flower, just in case I find a keeper.

They both seem well rooted in their 5 gallon pots. The entire top surface of the soil is filled with roots.
#3 still hasn’t filled out the pot yet but she’s starting to take off now. Temps have been a bit low so that’s had an
impact.

I finally got temps in my seedling/young plant room dialed in, so of course now I am having issues in the veg space… my heater decided to die.

First my 315w CMH died. Then my 400w MH.
2 different humidifiers died, my oil heater in the seedling room and now my veg room heater died.
All in the last few months. lol

15 Likes

I know pretty much every pet owner when told that says “my dog just looks vicious but wouldn’t hurt a fly”, but with her it’s absolutely the case.

As for barking on command it appears fairly controversial but ya there’s an issue with a neighbor that I don’t want to get in to in depth on, but in a nutshell they come up to the gate and reward her for barking. They’ve been told / asked not to do it multiple times but the damage is kind of already done at this point. I feel like ( and some trainers agree ) one of the best ways to teach a dog to turn off or quiet their barking is after teaching them to bark on command. Since she has zero aggressive traits or reactivity this is a very low stress situation that I’m just sort of feeling out.

My dutch had extreme reactivity issues that I had to work through for a couple of years on the other hand. Teaching her to bark while maintaining control has been really useful actually lately; when I see other dogs out on fields we’re on I can get her barking and the people tend to stay away from us. Having other dogs rush towards my dutch shepherd is incredibly stressful, so if a few warning barks keeps them away it’s a massive win in my book. She’s also not barking at them so I’m not culturing a new issue on that front.

I’m also working on desensitizing her to horses as she’s a bit uncomfortable around them and occasionally barks. I encounter a lot of horses on some of the trails I go on and I feel like a massive asshole when that happens as I don’t want to scare a horse and cause issues for the person riding it. Being able to turn off her bark via command is the end-goal here.

19 Likes

We researched how to teach a dog to stop barking, and it turns out the easiest way is actually to start by teaching them to bark on command.

9 Likes

I really liked the bee taxidermy video. Profound message there.
Out of likes!!
Beautiful Diogies, Plants, and Photography work, Thanks for sharing…

6 Likes

Oh, yeah, to both you and @syzygy, I get it. I listen to my girl every day talking about all this stuff, she’s totally obsessed with it, always trying to get me to be a little less… playful haha. I understand the why, I’m just not good at it haha.

For sure, dude, I was just kidding around. I mean, she does look vicious in those pics, but I’m sure you wouldn’t raise a killer haha. Honestly, I’m always like,”No, no, I WANT them to bark! I don’t want anybody gettin’ any ideaaaaaas about comin’ up to our house!” haha.

That’d piss me off, for sure. That’s kind of dick of your neighbors.

5 Likes

The trainer that I’ve learned the most from really highlights the importance of play as the most crucial component of training and building a relationship w/ a dog. My puppys whole world is play and the reason she’s even willing to bark is because she knows it may lead to play haha. Getting these types of dogs frustrated (healthy frustration) and thinking is really good for them psychologically. Physically you can never really tire them out without some form of mental stimulation, such as figuring out how to unlock the ball(play).

Ya I figured as much, just wanted to make it sure it’s obvious for anyone else reading that I’m not playing up the breed. I know some people do that with the breeds that have the image of a protection dog. They will turn it up when needed and sense real danger. I’m always playing it down (pink collar), other than a snapshot mid bark haha. I think any dog is going to look mean if you get a picture of them mid-bark. Her personality though is very submissive and that’s why she gets along so well w/ my dutch.

Yeah, its someone who suffered from a stroke and isn’t really all there. She’s well socialized and doesn’t have any real issues so luckily I have nothing really to complain about with her.

Thanks! Always nice to get feedback on the pics. Looking forward to attempting to grow outside this summer which should help hone the skills a bit more.

Thanks for adding that, I knew I wasn’t crazy and have heard that a few places haha.

6 Likes

Same here. Hard to teach “not” without understanding “do” :+1:

My dog does “speak” and “whisper”. He sometimes mixes them up but understands the difference.

Another tip I found useful was going to the door if he was barking, look out, either congratulate him on good job scaring off Amzone worker or letting him know…nobody is there…come back now thanks!

8 Likes