Tappy's Cali Connection - Purple Diesel, 6 site DWC, dual Vero 29

First off, it’s great to see OG back up and running!!!

Received my seeds from Attitude last week Wednesday (Aug 28, 2019).

Ordered:
6x Cali Connection - Purple Diesel (fem.)
https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/cali-connection-seeds-purple-diesel/prod_4942.html

Freebies:
1x G13 Labs - Purple Haze (fem.)
1x G13 Labs - Strawberry Eclair (fem.)
1x Barney’s Farm - Pineapple Chunk (fem.)
1x Barney’s Farm - Cookies Kush (fem.)
1x DNA Genetics Sorbet Collection - Bakers Delight (fem.)
1x Dinafem - Critical Mass CBD (fem.)
1x Delicious Seeds - Critical Super Silver Haze (fem.)
2x TH Seeds - Mendocino Madness (reg.)

…also, got one of those ‘Abscent’ bags with the insurance. Clicked the purse selection, thinking I can soften up my gf with a gift…but she wouldn’t use it, so it looks like I get the seeds and gift too.

So many freebies because I spent over xx€ and paid using international bank transfer.

The show goes on…

23 Likes

Recieved seeds on Aug 28.
Started germination on Aug 29.

GERM AUG 29

Using the paper towel method…I find using a rigid container keeps tender roots protected better than a flimsy plastic bag.

…and away we go!!

16 Likes

System:
6 site DWC in a 14 gallon Rubbermaid.

Strain:
Cali Connection - Purple Diesel (fem.)

Nutes:
GH Micro and Bloom (Lucas Formula)
I have used this before in a 1 site 5 gallon setup.
UPDATED: Using only Maxibloom and Silica

Light:
Seedling and early veg. will be using a 65 watt, passive cooled, CXB3590, 3500K.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32933612548.html

Veg. and flower will be using a dimmable, dual cob Vero29 Gen7 (about 190 total watts I believe)…I will probably use the CXB3590 during flower as well.
https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=60808373396&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D60808373396%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

Room size:
Utilizing an empty closet in the furthest nether regions of the basement.
The closet itself is about 2’ x 5’ x 7’. However, I’m only using 2’ x 3’ x 7’.
I insulated it using styrofoam insulation because 2 of the walls are outside walls and it gets a little chilly here (-50c with the windchill)…will be getting a roll of reflectix next time I’m at Home DePot. Panda wrap is kind of a pain to work with…especially in a small space by yourself…always goes up crooked and I bugger it up everytime.

10 Likes

Recieved seeds Aug 28.
Germed Aug 29.
Checked seeds Aug 31…we have life!!!

6 out of 6…not friggin’ bad!!
GERMED->PLANTED SEEDLINGS
AUG 31

65w CXB3590 and adjustable air pump. I have the pump hanging from a bungee cord to reduce vibrational noise.

6 site, 14 gallon tote.
Ph’d to 5.9’ish
Using 2x 5" airstones with a t-connector

13 Likes

Soaked rockwool at ph 5.8 for 6 hours…18 hours less than the recommended…what can I say…I’m super anxious and excited!
I used a plastic bag as a humidity dome and have a wet paper towel in there to keep humidity up.

Freshly rooted seeds in!!

12 Likes

Welcome back Tappy! Good luck on the grow!

2 Likes

Pulling up a chair to watch, Good Luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Did a quick check and the rockwool was pretty saturated…pulled the net cups out and left them on top of the plastic to try and dry them out a bit. They all still have their seed shells on…they’re only 36-48 hours since taproot first appeared…so I’ll post again once there’s something to report.

6 Likes

Last one…

12 Likes

All 6 are up. 5 still have seed caps. Hoping the seed shells fall off asap.
Light is about 24-30 inches away…too close?..too far?

10 Likes

Also running out of nutes…I have 1/8 gallon gh bloom and 0 gallons of gh micro. Since I need to hit the shop tomorrow, I was wondering if anyone had experience with using maxibloom exclusively for the entire grow in dwc?

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed info, you seem to know what you’re doing and that makes easier to follow your steps. Will be interesting to see them grow cheers …

4 Likes

Thanks for dropping by and giving a like!! So far so good, I usually bugger up the seedling stage, as it is pretty unforgiving.

Kept looking into the ‘maxibloom in dwc from start to finish’ question I posted yesterday. Seems lots of people had great success with that method, so I’m going to give it a shot. If I manage to kill everything at least I’ve got a bunch of freebie seeds.

Shopping list as of now is 2 lbs of dry maxibloom (heard this stuff drops ph)…some kind of silica additive (heard this stuff raises ph)…I’ve got ph down, but may need to buy some ph up just in case I get home and the solution drops hard once mixed…shop is only open till 6pm.
Bought a ppm meter yesterday (Amazon el cheapo special), should be here in a few days.

Off to work! Later gang!

6 Likes

If you spray the seed caps with distilled water, it helps the seeds shed the cap.

8 Likes

Will do as soon as I get home! Thanks for that tip! Luckily I have some distilled water on hand…had to top up my coolant a couple months ago.

They may be off already. Didn’t check this morning.

2 Likes

Pic from yesterday…all the seed shells popped off during the day. They look rather lanky already. Lowered the 65w cxb3590 3500k to 18" above seedlings…it was around 24"-30" before. Still need to grab some maxibloom and silica or just settle for the gh mico and gh bloom…its never steered me wrong before.

CONSIDERING THIS
VEG. DAY 1
Sept 4

5 Likes

Seedlings still stretching…dropped the light to about 18". Put the fan on the dwc lid to create some vibrations to stiffin the stems, create some airflow and blow the heat (what very little there is) up passed the cob.
The cool thing about this little fan is it already has little rubber feet on both sides to reduce vibrations. It also has a little speed controller…O - L - M - H (off, low, med, high)
Fan here:

But…we do have roots!

And some side-root!

13 Likes

Got nutes today. Will be adding them later this evening or tomorrow morning. It seems the seedlings have stopped stretching as bad now that the light is closer. I thought I read somewhere that taking off the lenses is actually better. Especially in a situation like mine, where I dont want a spotlight effect, but rather a floodlight effect…I’ll look into that.

So I got GH Maxibloom (2.2 lbs.), GROTEK pro-silicate (1 litre) and Holland Secret pH up (1 litre).

I asked the guy if he had any 5 gallon pails of the ph up, because my 14 gallon rez is gonna chew threw that litre of ph up…he said no…lol. jk…only wanted a 250ml or 500ml max…but litre sizes was all he had.
My water in summer comes out at 7-7.5…8 drops of ph down in my 14 gallon (using 12 gallons of water) brings it to 5.8-6.3

9 Likes

Interesting strain. Nice set up.I’ll be watching along.

1 Like

Added 1/4 strength Maxibloom and 1/2 strength silica this morning…pH’d to 5.8-6’ish. I use the GH drops to find my ph.
I find those ph pens too unreliable…if I have to mix up a bunch of buffer solution to attempt to read my ph, then screw it, I might as well just use the drops. Wish someone would come up with a ph pen that works out of the box and gives consistent readings without having to screw around with solutions and all this.
Anyway, the 65w cxb3590 seems to be stretching the plants…I’m hoping with the nutes I added this morning, that they might stop growing upward and start pushing leaves.
I may just throw in the dual Vero after work. It has the reflector cups, not the lenses…will take a pic after work.

13 Likes