Tappy's Cali Connection - Purple Diesel, 6 site DWC, dual Vero 29

Diluted my rez with straight tap water…down to 650 ppm and adjusted pH to just under 6. May still have to dump it and start from scratch…plants will say if this is necessary. Hoping I can cut some clones before the weekend is up…will probably do it tomorrow morning. Just want to let the plants chill out in the lower ppms.

Carbon filter + fan combo came yesterday. It’s all 4 inch. Came with thermometer/hygrometer, ratchet straps, ducting and duct clamp rings.

This is the test kit. If it works well, I’ll keep this upstairs (winter’s coming…and I cant have my windows open while I smoke).
Ultimately I want to get a 6 inch fan and 4 inch filter and run the fan as low as I can, thus, as quiet as I can, whilst still having enough power to effectively scrub the air.
The good thing about this fan (besides being built in Canada), is it has a built in speed controller with a 20 foot cord! Tried the fan out and it’s pretty quiet…the speed control works like a charm!! The reviews for this kit are pretty good too.
Need a dehumidifier before I unbag the filter…dont want to expose it to the high humidity around here. Will do a product review when I have it installed and scrubbing…luckily, it’s not stinking too bad yet.

3 Likes

Hey all…thoughts please.
DEFICIENCY?..TOXICITY?..LIGHT TOO CLOSE???

Details:

• 21 days into veg.
  • 6 site dwc, 14 gal. tub, using 12’ish gal. of water
  • 200 watt vero, dimmed to about 50%
  • light height 12"'ish from tops
  • ppm was 300 to 700 to 850 (I believe these readings are accurate) all within a week
  • ppm currently at 550 (TODAY: added water to rez to dilute to 550)
  • pH ranges from 5.5-6.5 (currently 6.0)
  • nutes: GH maxibloom powder, ProTek Silica (TODAY: added 1.5 teaspoon) of Epsom salt to rez + foliar feed (1 tablespoon per gallon))
  • any other ?'s, please ask

3 Likes

Usually when it looks like that it is a pH issue, but sounds like that’s in range. Could be low RH or temperature. What’s that like?

Current humidity in the house is 60% (lots of rain lately)…a bit more in the closet (dwc and plant transpiration). Current temperature outside and inside the house is about 20c…a bit more in the closet (light and air pump).

I’d guess a bit too much nitrogen ,or leaf temps too high .she should grow out of the crinkle leaves hopefully for you.

3 Likes

**VEG. DAY 18 **
Sept 22
Shit…did you say defol.???

Could of swore I heard you say that…

Will do a product review when I have it installed and scrubbing…luckily, it’s not stinking too bad yet.

Also, if you could score me a like for this contest that would be awesome! Thanks much, gang!!!

7 Likes

No clones cut…decided against it.
I’m looking for 1 solid mom…scrog is what I want to do…only 3 plants…flower, veg, clone

With the topping, I want to see whose gonna give me colour, weight, potency, weight, potency, colour, weight, potency…probably in that order…did I say potency?

The rebound is gonna be awesome!!!

1 Like

The leaf stems were super thick and woody! Loving the silica!! First time using it, but I’ll never go without it again.

6 Likes

Comparison pics.

Veg day 18
Defol.
Sept 22

VEG DAY 20
Sept 24
All have passed the defol test…all have rebounded nicely!!

Roots

Clones ready to be cut!!! Love big fat clones!!

Perlite/vermiculite clone bed ready!!

I’ll be up at 4am tomorrow morning cutting clones while the rest of the house sleeps! Will be able to get 4 clones from each of the 6 (24 clones total). Will veg dwc out for another week and switch to flower. The single best of the 6 girls will be my keeper, the rest will be tossed…or given away if anyone wants a cut or two. Canada post is $2 for a standard envelope…pretty sure I can rig up some sort of rigid protection for tender clones in the mail.

Fyi…no bugs, no PM…clean clones, from a clean room.

6 Likes

Day 16

Day 18

Today - Day 20

5 Likes

VEG DAY 21
Sept 25
CLONE DAY 1

Will be letting the clones do their thing for a week or two. Will be letting the dwc veg for another week or two, then initiate flower.

Cloning powder .25 cent garage sale special…used it in the past with great success

Nice looking clone!

24 clones cut…don’t judge my shit fridge.
12 watt 5000k CFL, I think.

The aftermath…and the rebound begins!!
It may not look like much, but each plant has 4 tops for mainlining.

3 Likes

Budget grow breakdown.

Dual vero light - $350 online
4" filter fan combo - $175 online
Rubbermaid tub - $12 home depot
Air pump - $12 pet store (used)
Air stones, t connector - $6 pet store
Hydroton 2 scoops - $3 hydro store
Net pots - $2 hydro store
Maxibloom - $22 hydro store
Silica - $12 hydro store
Ph+ - $16 hydro store
Ph kit - $8 hydro store
Ppm meter - $8 online
Timer - $10 online

Everything except the light and filter fan combo was under $20. A DIY light rig and carbon filter could easily bring the cost of this setup down, while still remaining very effective!

5 Likes

veg day 22
Sept 26
Starting mainline training…1 branch on #2 snapped, but salvageable, 1 branch on #3 snapped, but salvageable. These branches were too small and woody to be bent so harshly…but I have no doubt they’ll survive…I should say they cracked, they aren’t completely snapped.
Rebounding from clone session on Sept 25.
Ppm 515
Ph 5.7’ish (was at 6.5 this am, brought down to 5.7)

Clones looking good. Usually have a 99.5% survival rate, but I’ve never crammed 24 clones into an 8" x 12" tray…fingers crossed!

3 Likes

The snapping of stems is one of the reasons I stopped using the mainlining technique.

4 Likes

As much as it sucks that they broke, I get to see how they react to major damage. They all seem very similar, so I’m not sure how much variation there will be between the 6 of them.

I’ve never done mainlining before. I’ve done scrog…seems less aggressive than mainlining. Might just stick to what I know.

I can’t wait to do 1 massive plant after this run!! Gonna be epic!!

1 Like

Veg day 24
Cuttings day 3
Sept 28

Emptied 10 of the 11 gallons of old nute solution (best I could do, didnt think of res changes when starting this…was very difficult without my submersible pump and pantyhose). Added fresh water, maxibloom, silica, Epsom salt.

Comenced second round of mainlining…all 4 branches on each plant have now been tied down, even if it’s just a little bit. No snapped/cracked branches this round. Cracked branches from first round didn’t seem to have any effect, rebounded all the same.

Will be starting flower on Friday and train as they grow…might start earlier depending on growth as the week goes on.

Ppm 650
Ph 5.5 (will let drift up to 6.5 again)

All cuttings look good!!! Not even the slightest sign of limpness or stress. Heat is up, probably around 25c - 30c, humidity is high (not sure rh).

4 Likes

Found a bunch of rigid, plastic containers at dollarama for super cheap. If anyone (Canadian) wants clones, they’ll be ready in 10 days! I won’t send anything that doesn’t look like the roots can sustain it over a 2 day period in a package. At this point I’m expecting 100% success rate and I’m only keeping 1 clone, so the other 23 are up for grabs.

Order when they’re ready and I’ll double the order for FREE!!!..just pay shipping!!!
- Billy Mays

3 Likes

Veg day 28
Oct 1

Awesome rebound!! As soon as the TS1000 gets here, I’m going to switch to flower.
The mainline was a fail…too small to funk around like that…but each plant has 4 tops…so defoliation/swazzing and a good lollipopping will be the direction we go from here.

Ppm 550 (this seems to be the sweet spot for these girls)
Ph 6.0
Nutes: maxibloom, silica, Epsom salts

Cuttings/Clones day 6

Everything is looking incredibly healthy!!!

Also, we have roots forming on day 6!!

7 Likes

Tappy paint them walls or put something on them for reflectant.

4 Likes