Tasmanian Landraces?

Any Tasmanian cannabis strains?

2 Likes

Hey @wallyduck . Have you ever heard of any Tasmanian landraces?

nope , im sure they grow down there ,
but im not sure how long cannabis has been on the island ,
id say unlikely any landraces from tassie …

4 Likes

They used to say that about pre-Columbian America, but I think that ship :wavy_dash: has sailed. :joy::joy::joy::exploding_head::joy:

I’m coming to believe that anywhere humanity has been, so has cannabis.

8 Likes

maybe ,
id like to see any evidence of it though …
i highly doubt there has been a specific variety of cannabis being sustained over a century down in tassie…
id be happy to be proven wrong , but i doubt its going to happen …
it would more likely be on the mainland , and im not seeing that either …

6 Likes

I am not the most familiar with the island, however; there are only a few areas I could imagine there might be one or two. if looking at the ancestry of the plant, it wouldn’t appear to have occurred anywhere Tasmania, but it’s possible. Because I have recently found other island chains where this evolution was unlikely but occurred, I am not ruling out this possibility.

3 Likes

Tasmania is a very remote and isolated island , off the southern coast of Australia,
it has only been inhabited by Europeans for a limited time ,
and there has been no history of cannabis being grown as a traditional , or domestic crop ,
other than perhaps some clandestine cropping by some of the reasonably new European inhabitants …

When one looks at the definition of the term “landrace” and has some familiarity with the area ,
it becomes apparent that the chance of any landrace cannabis varieties coming from the area are about as remote as the area itself …
Originally named “Van diemens land” for the dutch governer general of the Dutch East indies , Anthony van Diemen and later changed to Tasmania to honor the first European to visit the island Abel Tasman…

5 Likes

There was a guy on IC a few years ago trying to select plants that would grow down there, but my recollection was that the conditions were super harsh, idk if he ever found anything worthy of continuing to work with. And he was in a greenhouse too, if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

there are several posts in the freaker’s thread where individuals claim to have Aussie Landrace. I am skeptical, but am definitely still in belief there are undiscovered gems on the island of Tasmania in addition to Australia

1 Like

Maybe they mean they are landraces , ie from thailand or such , then they have grown them for a period in Australia ,
there are really no Australian landraces , only varieties from other places that have been grown for some time in Australia ,
varieties descendant from landraces , but they are obviously not thai , or what ever , landraces anymore as they have begun to adapt to a different location , they are no longer the same … nor do they fit the definition of a landrace …

Its true that some indian hemp was taken to Australia in the early days to grow for use as hemp , but to my knowledge there are no varieties of cannabis that have come from those crops and still survive today …
Feel free to read this section on landraces to familiarize with the term ,
when applying the definition put forth in the link , to plants in Australia and or Tasmania ,
its clear there are no landraces that could be classed as Australian landraces …
'some folks are just getting mixed up and defining the term incorrectly imo …

3 Likes

I mean I would have to see genotype tests and SNP’s from all primordial landrace genetics to make statements like those

1 Like

Don’t you think it’s fair to classify the abc strain as an Aussie landrace. It appears to meet the above definition.

4 Likes

I would definitely agree with you on that!

Pz :v:t2:

2 Likes

It’s about as likely as a Hawaiian landrace. Everyone talks about those, yet cannabis by most best estimates arrived in Hawaii less than 200 years ago in the 1830’s. I don’t know. Is there some set time period before you can consider it a landrace?

4 Likes

I would venture to state that the primordial landrace label relates to evolution predating a genus’ development. I always will state to look at less evolved variants within a genus. So while adaptation can occur amongst genetics which have been relocated, they are really not quite primordial landrace species. Their adaptations could be region-centric, but there is a greater probability than not of these failing to demonstrate any particular gene expression other than a bottleneck in genotypic variety from inbreeding. Tracking various species’ genome presence on the islands will give a better understanding of this. I simply am not an Expert in Tasmanian species or landrace species. There were landrace cultivators in Tasmania from what I had researched, but if these were specifically Tasmanian was not clear. Any of these unique genus branches are very important when studying genotypic development and its pertinence to environmental factors present.

2 Likes

If the cultivar is isolated, make adoptions to the new environment and evolve over time, selection or not. It is considered to be a landrace from that area.

The key would be whether the new traits are stable and consistently passed on through successive generations.

All landraces once came from somewhere else.

Pz :v:t2:

3 Likes

We get into this all the time because Native Hawaiians didn’t have cannabis but people will sell strains like they’ve been here since pre-contact! It definitely originally came with either traders between America and Asia or with Central American vaqueros during the late 1800’s during the paniolo days.

2 Likes

sure , if it was found there , but it wasnt , it was found in New South Wales ,
a part of the mainland , not Tasmania , so nope …

3 Likes

not only a time frame is involved ,
but it must also be isolated from other populations ,
]which is not the case with Hawaii , new varieties arrived there often as far as i m able to tell …

2 Likes

I can only agree because of the word “primordial.”

That’s right. Once a strain/subspecies/cultivator/race becomes acclimated to a region, it is a landrace. That’s the definition. Ten generations, twenty, whatever it takes. Every place with cannabis has landraces, Old World and New.

1 Like