Terpenes. The smell behind cannabis

Ya, man.
Don’t do it! I was just kidding ya.
I’ll admit, I tried it as a young man. :persevere:

2 Likes

Yuk!!

High again Scissor-Hanz7m,

M’well, a bit of humor doesn’t hurt. Seriously, i’ve had less-than-perfect hashish in the good old days - one good reason to prefer dry flowers today, by the way, unless it’s direct from a trustable fellow of course, euh…

But gee! That must be genuinely, euh… Awful!..

So it supports what i’ve come to conclude, that it all started with Liberals in 1923 and now i read from a fellow consumer who admits being desperate enough to try what you suggested. It’s all too clear, i’m sure this was prejudice that left lasting trauma traces, in the name of children as imagined by Henri-Sévérin Béland and his numerous followers!

To condemn to total abstaining with no alternative but to make young men smoke “roaches” is most certainly the ultimate form of bigot anti-cannabic vilification i could have imagined. As members of sacrified generations i propose that we need to sue Ottawa up to the supreme court dude!!

That was a joke too, with some founding in my usual line of thinking. Thanks for taking no offence.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

2 Likes

I got a full tank I’m golden !
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Afgani Shatter wax

It’s like smoking a vape cartridge but more or less watered down not liquid viscous or thick.Mines more hard solid like breaks like a piece of glass.

This shit I’m smoking today got good color.

This is my vape all broken down into pieces.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: New Solventless Tech! Rosin!

This shit was only a few grams taste like wasabi :sunglasses:
More liquidy viscous crumbly like a glob of thc butane thc crystals.

HGK stands for high grade kush.

2 Likes

@LemonadeJoe can you split this topic please?? Everyone got off topic and needs to be posted in the rosin tech topic

interesting, I’ve gone “vaporist” like Egzo. the only time I smoke is blazing big joints with a group before a show or something. Once you’ve gone over to the vapor side, smoke starts to taste awful.

I’m surprised that some friends insist on smoking, even when hitting huge bags of dense vapor out of the Volcano. A lot of people like the taste of smoke, the feeling of heat and pressure in the lungs, the extra headrush from carbon monoxide & other stuff. It’s cool though, the best studies we have say that even heavy smoking for 30 years doesn’t increase chances of cancer.

IMO the Volcano rules over all the other vapes. Even Storz and Bickel’s own portable vapes do not have the vapor quality of the Volcano. The terpene flavor is incredible, especially if you run the first few bags at lower temps. I do a final run at 390 degrees to get all the medical ingredients out.

I’ve often challenged people doing dabs to take a couple balloons of dense vapor and see what it does. The Volcano vapor stream is very pure cannabinoid oils and terpenes, virtually nothing else.

1 Like

I’m chasing the " tony tech" … It wasn’t long ago I noticed the puddle of weed smell coming out the end of my dry scroll vacin down hella loaf in the oven…and how sweet the cold purge puddle was compared to the 98* purge… Then I started fuckpacking my freeze dryer with material and then it was on… I remembered Tony’s comment on “hydro- diffusion w/gravity” on hash church and dug out my chiller, and micro pore air diffuser, from my aeroponic days,put a bit of back pressure on the bubble chamber and voilà… Next morning I had my layer of love… Into the separation funnel and I got my proof of concept… I am experimenting with nitrogen and distilled water fog injection into the chamber containing the plant material needing terped… My yield is increasing but I’m trying not to do anything to make the hydrocarbon extract unmanageable… Most is going to distillation dept anyways

1 Like

They definitely got their shit together over there at blue river​:alembic::microscope::+1:

My yield on trim is like 1 ml per lb. I’m playing with my set points on my scientific harvest right (about 7k new… ) I’m waiting till I get my replacement door so I can start to plumb it with my ultrasonic mister element… I use for fogging out mushroom containers… It runs off of compressed air but I got it going to my tank of overpriced medgas and an old r/o high pressure continuous duty pressure pump I dug out the (pile) pressuring the distilled water out the jug… It uses the vibration from the air whistling through the tip of the sprayer… But I’m going to have to do something about the volume if I want to keep the hella vac Needed to grab terps… Mabie my old aeroponic cycle stat…5 seconds on 10 mins off… I will keep you guys updated😜 I need to increase my yield before I can afford to start experimenting with flower…

2 Likes

Shits off topic you posted an empty container…?

2 Likes

If youd look closely youd see the terpenes in there. You get .25 of a ml. plus an empty terp vial is more on topic then a vape and some rosin. Neither even had terps mixed in.

You guys are super lucky, no terps in Mexico yet. I feel lucky just to come across vape pens that are triple the price.

1 Like

Terpenoids and the different odors of cannabis

by Shantibaba

In this article we’d like to briefly introduce terpenoids, which are the primary aromatic compounds found in the essential oil of Cannabis.

So what are terpenes?

Terpenes are a large and varied class of hydrocarbons and are the primary constituent in the essential oil of many types of plants and flowers. The etymology of the word “terpene” derives from the Latin word “turbentina”, a concrete oleo-resin obtained from particular species of Pinus (Nat. Ord. Coniferae).

Plant terpenoids are used extensively for their aromatic qualities. They play a role in traditional herbal remedies and are under investigation for antibacterial, antineoplastic, and other pharmaceutical functions. Terpenoids contribute to the scent of eucalyptus, the flavors of cinnamon, cloves, citrus and ginger. Many terpenes are derived commercially from conifer resins, such as those by pine trees.

Terpenes in Cannabis
Most people don’t know that cannabinoids (like THC, CBD, CBG, ect) are odorless. Terpenoids are responsible for characterizing the aromatic profile of cannabis plants.

The main terpenoids present in cannabis are:

• Myrcene: a monoterpene, is actually one of the major constituents of the essential oil of cannabis (did represent up to 60% of the cannabis flower essential oil in some varieties tested). It has been proven to have analgesic, sedative and muscle relaxant effects.

• d-Limonene: a monoterpene, is actually a precursor to the synthesis of other cannabinoids. Has been proven to have antidepressant and immune stimulator properties in humans.

• Caryophyllene: a sesquiterpene, has anti-inflammatory and anti-malarial properties. Has been isolated from a number of plants and spices including black pepper, oregano and cinnamon.

• Pinene: a monoterpene, gas anti-inflammatory and bronchodilatatory properties.

Other known terpenoids of the cannabis plant include:

Pinene, delta-3-Carene, phellandrene, cis-Ocimene, transOcimene, Terpinolene, Bergamotene, Humulene, transCaryophyllene, Farnesene, Selinene, Caryophyllene oxide and many others…

Where can we find terpenoids in Cannabis?

Terpenoids are produced in the same resin glands (called tricomes) that also produce the cannabinoids.

In fact, when the development of tricomes commences, especially in the hairs distributed across the surface of the female inflorescence, the medically important cannabinoids and the associated terpenoids begin to appear.

What is the cannabis flower essential oil?

The essential oil is obtained by steam distillation from the flowers and upper leaves of the cannabis plant, is a volatile oil that is a mixture of volatile compounds, including monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, and other terpenoid-like compounds.

A pale yellow liquid, the essential oil is used as a scent in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps and candles. It is also used as a flavoring agent in foods, primarily candies and beverages (for example, cannabis flavored beer).

The unique smell of each different cannabis strains, that ranges from bubble gum to skunk, from citrus to strawberry and from cheese to burned pine tree, are all created by the differences in the ratios of the various components present in the essential oil. So when we say that we prefer the smell of White Widow to the one of Super Skunk, we are judging mainly the differences in the smell of the terpenoids of those plants.

Important discovery on _- Caryophyllene…

In 2008 Dr. Jürg Gertsch, from the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences at ETH Zurich, has discovered that the substance betacarophyllene activates the cannabinoid receptor 2 (CB2) selectively. It’s the first time that a non-cannabinoid compound found in Cannabis is proven to work on a cannabinoid receptor.

This discovery could become instrumental in treating chronic illnesses, such as liver cirrhosis, Morbus Crohn, osteoarthritis and arteriosclerosis. In all of these diseases, the CB2 receptor and the associated endocannabinoid system play a crucial role in our bodies.

Olfaction and behavior

For humans, olfaction is a primitive sense, whereas other mammals, birds and insects rely predominately on their sense of smell for survival. Although smell seems far less meaningful to humans, there is an important link between olfaction and behavior.

Is a sniff of coffee as good as a sip?

A cup of freshly ground coffee is what it takes to get some people moving in the morning. But, according to a recent study conducted in Japan, it may be the aroma rather than the coffee itself that does the trick. As reported by the New Scientist magazine in 2008, scientists in Tsukuba, Japan, kept 16 laboratory rats awake for 24 hours, by keeping them in a cage filled with an inch of water, then exposed half of them to the smell of roasted coffee.

After taking samples of the rats’ brains, they found that the smell of coffee boosted the activity of key genes that promote cell survival in the body and reduce anxiety.

Professor Yoshinori Masuo, who led the study in Tsukuba, Japan, said that when people drink coffee to stay up all night, just the smell of the coffee could alleviate some of the stress caused by sleeplessness.

They said that chemicals extracted from coffee and pumped into the air may one day be used as a way of reviving tired people.

“Entourage effect” on Cannabis

The clinical contribution of cannabinoids different than THC, terpenoids and flavonoids to clinical cannabis effects has been espoused as an “entourage effect” (Mechoulam and BenShabat 1999). While THC remains the most psychoactive compound found in Cannabis, all other substances present in the plant (in particular cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids) also have unique properties that will ultimately influence the effects that Cannabis has on us.

Many times patients using Cannabis as medicine have reported that a specific plant genetic seems to have better therapeutic properties on them than other ones available. When compared, those Cannabis varieties had similar cannabinoid profile (content of cannabinoids such as THC and CBD). So if the difference is not in the cannabinoid content, we’ll need to investigate the “entourage” of other substances present in the plant to explain the difference perceive by patients. Definitely a long road ahead, especially because the “cocktail” of substances present in Cannabis is so varied and complex.

(originally published in Treating Yourself #19 / 2009 - now defunct magazine)

7 Likes

Has anyone else found that you can get different terpenes from the same strain just depending on when you harvest?

3 Likes

i didn’t see a medical section so i posted this here
please feel free to add any info that you have on this.
the more we all know the better

webster’s definition: Terpene-any of various isomeric hydrocarbons C10H16 found present in essential oils (as from conifers) and used especially as solvents and in organic synthesis; broadly :any of numerous hydrocarbons (C5H8)n found especially in essential oils, resins, and balsams

simple definition is they give the flowers their smells and to some extent flavors.

Terpenes and Their Medicinal Properties

Limonene – citrus type with a lemon, lime, or orange aroma
Stress relief
Anti-fungal
Anti-Bacterial
Anti-Carcinogen

Pinene – Pine tree aroma, most common terpene in cannabis
Increased alertness
Expectorant
Bronchodilator
Topical antiseptic

Borneal – Menthol aroma
Stress relief

Myrcene – Earthy musty aroma, like parsley or hops
Sedative
Antioxidant
Anti-carcinogen
Pain/inflammation relief

Linalool – Floral or citrus like lavender aroma
Anti-convulsing
Anti-anxiety
Anti-depressant

Delta 3 Carene – Sweet cedar aroma
Dry excess fluids (tears, mucus)
Relieve excess menstrual flow

Eucalypto – spicy minty aroma
Balancing
Stimulating
Increased circulation
Pain relief

Beta Caryopyllene – sweet, woody, spicy or peppery aroma
Pain relief
Anti-inflammatory

Humulene- hops like aroma.

Terpineol- Floral, lime or citrus aroma
Sedative

Thiols(secondary flavonoid) – skunky, garlic, fuel/kerosene aroma
Pain relief
Strains high in thiols show promise in reducing opioid use.

4 Likes

Does anyone else find that Pinene is most present in premature bud?

3 Likes

i’m not sure but that may explain why i associate pine taste/smell with lower quality cannabis … maybe i just have never had a well grown/potent pinene heavy strain. all my experiences so far have been pine = bad ganja and a headache

2 Likes