Terpsnpurps very 1st grow thread. šŸŖ“

From this image it looks like the trichome head is all that mattersā€¦ thats where the oils are secreted

2 Likes

I always wondered about that. Some strains have extremely short stems on the trichomes but are still ass kickersā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Really looking great! Canā€™t wait to see that full tent in full flower!

2 Likes

Very cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Absolutely bro!! I am very excited to get the 9 plants in thereā€¦ should be a blanket of green in there

5 Likes

Good morning my friends!

2 Likes

Thereā€™s actually a trichome morphology study that will change your life:

I know once I read it, my life was never the same again.

5 Likes

seems like Iā€™m just in time for the smoke report, following along

@George you donā€™t smoke leaves too cā€™mon admit it

I thought we all smoke some leaves sometimes - durban I might or something sugary or really citrus

everywhere I look sometimes are little leavesā€¦ hmmm maybe Iā€™ll smoke em

1 Like

Oh my god broā€¦ so what is it really saying? In lamens terms?

2 Likes

I know that cannatrol did a studyā€¦ and the fluctuations that happen during drying and curingā€¦ the ups and downs of rh and tempsā€¦ cause the trichome heads to shrink and swell over and over until burstingā€¦ (this is where you get that overwhelming smell)

Its just gassing off and shelf life is being reduced etcā€¦

Its that constant rocksteady temp and rh that truly mattersā€¦

The 60 60 came from (its the only way to lock in more steady temps and rh with a compressor based unit) as the compresseor wont kick off ever

60 f is not idealā€¦ it only was during people using ac units etcā€¦

What matters most is steady unfluctuating temps and rh

It describes the construction of the trichome, and what happens to it in all stages of life. Iā€™ve made a summary hereā€¦

4 Likes

So its saying they need to be bent over from oil weight in the head??

2 Likes

Actually, the stalk starts out as 6 cells that give way to 4 cells as it elongates. Once that happens the cap slumps over when it gets long enough. Afterwards it can detach and leak resin all over. When it starts leaking resin and the cap falls off, itā€™s definitely harvest time.

3 Likes

Id think the point is to not let that happenā€¦ that sounds crazy to me to allow it to leak outā€¦ this is where terps are wasted by the air over timeā€¦ it staying encapsulated is where shelf life is increased wouldnt you think? It seems like the goal would be to watch and when leaning startsā€¦ harvestā€¦ because at that point the oil would be sizable inside yet remain inside

2 Likes

I use the point at which the resin is starting to make long strands, and trichome caps are getting goo-ed together. When that starts, things never get better and only continue on the decline. I would call that ā€œdefinitive endā€ to the life cycle and development of thc from precursors. If people ask me when I harvestā€¦ I tell 'em I use the modern phd approved method of trichome morphology. Sometimes people get angry when I say that.

2 Likes

I agree it must be full maturity but ā€¦ it still wastes resin oilsā€¦ doesnt it? Hence the sticking together?

1 Like

Not really, the resins are still there.

Very interesting. Have you seen correlation with trichome color at all? For example, when the plants are ready to chop according to the latest thrichome morphology methods, the trichomes are usually xx% - xx% amberā€¦?

3 Likes

I found the amber trichome method was based on the bud leaves, and not a calyx. There is correlation between trichomes on the bud leaf turning amber and trichomes on the calyx being done, but itā€™s less exacting. Like, do I harvest when 60% are amber? Or 40%? Certain plants for example ones with purple colored trichomes, that wasnā€™t an option they donā€™t turn amber. With the resin goo, itā€™s more like youā€™re lookingā€¦lookingā€¦ looking then snap! Resin starts to goo. A hard line in the sand.

3 Likes

Nice thank you man. Pretty sure that Iā€™ve been harvesting much too earlyā€¦ live and learn .

2 Likes