TGA Subcool Gear

Hey, I’m on eat coast too - New England.
I agree that Mz Jill doesn’t always have her facts straight. Like you said: its hearsay, and we’ll never know the legitimate truth.
It’s my belief that they are two (2) different phenos of Chernobyl…one person had a “golden ticket”, the other had “slymer”. The one definitive conclusion we can make is that there is variability with TGA strains…one can be fire, and one can be a dud.
For Example, I ran a Chernobyl hybrid cross this year…popped 3 seeds, I got 3 different phenos (significantly different)…one (1) that is absolute fire (I need to re-veg it because I didn’t take clones), and the other two (2) are ok, but not keeper status - not even close. So 1 out of 3; I also want to mention that I only germinated 3 beans, and all 3 were female, so that’s a big positive.

1 Like

How do you guys feel about Grapelime Ricky?

1 Like

Grape lime ricky was amazing smoke in my experiences with her.

I just wish I got to grow her out myself. I knew some local cats in Southern California who moved units from southern Humboldt to our area and grape lime ricky was one that stood out for sure over lots of OG kush crosses, GSC crosses etc.

And FWIW out of respect for Subcools memory, plus everything I learned from him and other weednerds, and out of respect for my buddy who so generously gave me the cut…

I’ll probably always personally call it the Golden Ticket. I always heard Subcool reference it that way and that’s how it was given to me.

2 Likes

I grew some Grapelime Ricky a few years back, and was one of my favorite grows to date. I did some work for a guy who ended up gifting me a pack of them. Still have a few left from them that I plan to possibly run and make more of over this upcoming winter

2 Likes

The very first time I grew Chernobyl I had only a few years under my belt growing indoors. I had been given a Chernobyl pack directly from Subby himself before it hit the market. It was just a plastic baggie with Chernobyl written on it in Sharpie… I only popped a couple of seeds and I had a very “Golden Ticket like” pheno from one single female… absolute frost monster with the copious resin profile and the dark red leaves and super loud lime terps… so those phenos exist. All of the phenos I encountered afterwards were very lemon-lime from those old first generation Chernobyl beans… but my plant numbers weren’t high at the time. I was growing in a bedroom closet and just starting to transition into a tent back then. I actually re-vegged that single Chernobyl plant from seed and grew it out again. I gave a few seeds to my local buddy and he had great luck with them too.

That’s one thing I can say was super cool about Sub. He was a regular guy. Before he started selling/vending at Attitude and before the Weednerd Channel and High Times Covers… before all of that fame… you could catch him on Internet chat early in the morning while having your coffee. He’d share seeds with just about anyone who asked. He gave me dozens of packs.

SpaceDawg was one that I was recently talking about to a buddy of mine. SpaceDawg was a pack that was created when Sub met Chemdog. They collaborated on a strain that was somewhat of a mystery at the time. Sub made a post on Breedbay one day talking about he meeting with Chemdog and said he had a special gift for the community. That gift would come to be another plastic baggie with handwritten words on it with Sharpie… I remember it said “Snow Queen” in black marker on the bag. I immediately grew a couple and gave a internetless buddy a couple of seeds. Sub would later announce that it was a mistake and he never intended on calling it Snow Queen permanently and that it was to be re-named Space Dawg… that was Chemdog’s Super Snowdawg hit with Sub’s Space Dude male… Spacedawg was a better name I admit… but because of the name blunder theres still dudes out here where I live that call it Snow Queen. Its somewhat of a local legend between guys I know here in Upstate New York… they loved that friggin strain… and it was very very good… I had all but given up recently on trying to find a pack… as I miss that one too… it was also one of my favorites from way back then… until about a week ago… I saw a post on Instagram where a dude posted this photo up…

He only wanted $40 for a pack of Space Dawg F2s… so I hopped on those immediately… I then texted my buddy and said… Snow Queen returns!! He was ecstatic.

I also experienced Spacedawg in another pack called the “TGA Honeymoon Mix” it was a mix pack of all of the years of Sub’s culmination of seeds… everything from oldies like Dannyboy, Orange Velvet BX, Space Jill, Jacks Cleaner, Pandoras Box, Astroqueen, and newer ones at the time… Spacedawg, Chernobyl, etc… anything and everything could have been in that mix pack. Sub gave away the Honeymoon mix packs to celebrate his Hawaiian wedding to Mz Jill and spread them far and wide. I had at that point in my life never grown mystery seeds… but I welcomed the challenge to identify the mystery plants. I know for a fact that I had a Spacedawg and Pandoras Box and Jack the Ripper in my mix pack… those were the ones that were obvious. One thing I can say about Spacedawg is that it also has a very lemon lime profile but with a little bit of gas. My better pheno was like a limey butane like pheno. pretty potent but no paranoia despite it being a Sativa dominant hybrid… much like Apollo 13 in that regard.

So yeah I am stoked to get those Spacedawg F2s. Recently Briscos Bargain Beans dropped some strain called Subspace which was a mix of Spacedawg and Apollo 11… I now see that Subspace has sold out at both DC Seed Exchange and Great Lakes Genetics… I was talking to Brisco himself last week however and he recommended that anyone out there whos interested in acquiring a pack of Subspace to reach out to DCSE or GLG and request that they restock it… as he says he has more in-stock… I thought I would just throw that out there.

11 Likes

Anyone not yet signup for Vortex f2’s?
Some spots left under the Member TL2 section.

5 Likes

Yeah what @BudWhisperer said! Go get them folks

3 Likes

TGA Norstar - seeds are still viable.
…When they discontinued Producer’s Overstock, I had a feeling that “something’s up”. Please keep in mind, they do inform you when seeds were produced (some from 2014, through 2021). So, I wanted to do a germination test: I took one (1) Sangria, soaked it, and a tap toot emerged within about 24 hours…I have it in soil now, and it’s looking great.
Next Test: …going to soak some Jacks Cleaner 2, 3rd Dimension, Qleaner (all produced between 2014-2018). Just put them in water now, but will update with results.

I believe germination rates will be relative to how they stored their seed stock; hopefully stored correctly in refrigerator. And if they were left on a shelf, or out in the sun (for about 10 years), …we may have a problem. But i have faith, and giving them a chance.

PS - (off topic) - I also soaked two (2) seeds I had stored in a drawer (room temp), that are also about 10 years old - did not think they would do anything, and one (1) has cracked…so that’s a positive indication…now going to put it in some soil.

12 Likes

I would love to see a repro of Jack’s Cleaner. Straight up Lemon Pine Sol with a buzz like C99. I haven’t seen those seeds in years.

Good luck with them.

7 Likes

TGA Norstar Update(s):
Jacks Cleaner 2 - Not Sprouting :frowning:
3rd Dimension: Sprout, but then Die :frowning:
Qleaner - No Sprout
So, I’ll try again, with a few more beans, and also adding a Jack Skellington to the test.
PS - some seeds have a very hard shell, so I’m experimenting with new germination techniques:
trying the “seed cracker” method (seed cracker tool - like a mini vice that crack pops the seed)
try to score the ridge
cracked a seed in half, and planted the half with embryo…
…I need to get creative…I also have some old True Blueberry - they are hard as hell, they at least 5 years old, but trying to give these a go as well…

11 Likes

Check out JohnnyPotSeeds germ tek.
Very effective according to many users here!

5 Likes

@Tomahawk are u using anything other than plain water to germinate those old seeds?

2 Likes

…just using plain water now - but was thinking making a diluted solution of Humic Acid & Kelp (5:2 Ratio), then further diluted down for a soak…just haven’t had the time to mix it up…However, I’ve had some old seeds “crack open” in the plain water, but once planted, they would either not sprout at all, or sprout and then die…frustrating, because I’ve alway’s had luck with seeds - old or new, but I’m hitting a very “unlucky” seed stock run…on the other hand - kind of makes some sense too, because as I got through my seed inventory, I’m trying all my older strains before they are totally “Expired”.

on a side note, I used Humic Acid & Kelp with last year’s grow - I believe it truly enhanced the Oils, Resins, & Aroma - only used it on a couple plants, and didn’t use it on this year’s grow of different plants.

1 Like

…I’ll try the JPS “worm castings method” - just need to buy some worm castings.
Also, …I might try using some hydrogen peroxide too (I believe to use it in a 1:4 ratio)

1 Like

TGA Norstar seed Update(s):
Jack Skellington - 2 soaked, 2 cracked, going to transplant into soil today
Qleaner - 1 soak, 1 cracked - going to transplant today
3rd Dimension - Nada
Jacks Cleaner 2 - Nada
…so, old seeds are cracking in plain water, and I’m using Pro-Mix Soilless mix, maybe I should hit them with Humic Acid & Kelp once they go into the soilless mix…it seems they need a boost due to age
PS …my old Blueberry seeds still doing nothing, so I soaked a few more, and out of my initial run (i’ve gone through almost 10 seeds - not one survivor)…yet, I have a couple more to go. As with this past seed soak, one Blueberry sank, and although it didn’t crack, I CRACKED IT MANUALLY and put it into the mix…hmm…we’ll see…

2 Likes

@Tomahawk yeah that should make a big difference. I just do the Viva Paper Towel Sauna method but I use Liquid Karma & Water… Liquid Karma is a Kelp based additive/catalyst & gibberellic acid & humic acid are part of its makeup… I’ve seen it up germ rates considerably on old seeds… I know there’s other similar products but I just stay with what works for me and its super simple.

6 Likes

Thanks for the Info - I need to go out to the shop & pick some up.
I typically buy Humic Acid & Kelp in bulk; and make a 5:2 mixtures myself (starting at 12% Concentrate, and then dilute it down to about 6% when watering) - it save’s money, but is also a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes (when time is short, and don’t feel like measuring and mixing). …And with just seedlings, I don’t feel like mixing it up - it can be a bit messy.
I’m getting some Liquid Kama right now…

3 Likes

TGA Chernobyl “Golden Ticket”… grown with zero Veg time… just thrown in the ground… planted around the end of July here in Upstate NY. When I got the snips back from a buddy who’s held it… he mailed em back to me un-rooted in July… I rooted each one of them quickly and tested for HLVD (all clean)… this is the only one that’s been flowered so far. I have a few under T5 now… and distributed a few rooted clones to fellow Weed Nerds who also love the old TGA and of course one to @BCC who recently ran the Chernobyl seed reproduction here on Overgrow… as I felt he deserved it.

@Tomahawk I used to do that too. I would buy dry kelp and other things like azomite from Kelp4Less but Liquid Karma is just easier. I’m all about easy… a bottle is $28 and it lasts a long time in the fridge.

18 Likes

Looks great. My clone (thank you again!) is vegging and doing well. I’ll post some photos when I put it in flower.

7 Likes

Are there any Third Dimension seeds still floating around? I will trade for some if anyone has a pack or two. LMK… :love_you_gesture:t3: :surfing_man:t3:

:peace_symbol:
D

4 Likes