The Canadian Contingent (Part 1)

Transient terminology…LOL… you are on the money today, just killin myself… :t_rex: :rofl:

1 Like

Where did Red do that? I think I recall a skit on more than one show Laugh-in? Carol Burnett? I guess it was one of his signature characters (before writers laid claim) Vaudeville upbringing eh?

2 Likes

can we all just remember this :canada: horror:

2 Likes

You. Again!

1 Like

That’s as appealing as just for laugh gags on a 5 hour flight…REDRUM…

2 Likes

My français is bon enough to read the title at least. I wasnt sure if this was supposed to be funny or educational.

Thanks government of Ontario!

I might not be old enough to remember that but now I will never be able to forget.

Je souviens. Merci @Pigeonman

3 Likes

5 Likes

Always thought it was a bit much the way they ‘encouraged’ us to take French in grades 7-12 then you’d come home and see your old man freaking about seperatism. Slowly puts away french test with a+ on it… sorry not politics, just Canada in 70’s and 80’s. Obviously being bi-lingual here is a major employment plus, but they never sold it that way, they should have…

4 Likes

:rofl: yes, encouraged.

I was in French school until grade 6 mes amis

3 Likes

English High school but I took advanced level all through, was easy, cause all the girls took French, and I didn’t get slapped once lol. I think I know more Spanish now, as it really sucks when no one around speaks anything but english, I forgot most of it in the last 40 years, shame. Tried to pump my kids through school…nope, I told them if you were bilingual, you could get any job you want in this country, especially with the federal gov’t, oh well. Je suis fail.

2 Likes

You have to be really really bilingual to work for the feds.

French is actually a useful language. Former colonial power, useful in other parts of the world.

Spanish and French are close enough that learning them both is complicated. I still get confused between the 2

3 Likes

I find myself searching French when I don’t understand a Spanish phrase down south, Usually find a similarity and can stagger my way through informal chat,as long as the accent isn’t too heavy. One of my life regrets uni-lingual.

2 Likes

I speak a weird English-Spanish-French hybrid but I can get around.

Even just learning the tiniest bit will open doors for you. Respect etc.

2 Likes

we need an acronym and a cool hat or button for that…

1 Like

Le ESFH académie

2 Likes

Did Freddy on The Red Skelton show all the time. Loved that show when I was a kid.

2 Likes

Yeah thats why I remember his guest appearances after 1970, wow that sat me down in front of our 26" Admiral b&W tv with the rabbit ears, thanks for inspiring that flashback!!!

3 Likes

THIS IS WHY I CAN’T SPEAK FRENCH. In French language class in the 80’s this is what they thought would work!?!?!

Like hooked on phonix… didn’t wurk so wel.

4 Likes

It took me a 12 weeks regimen to get off it.

4 Likes

Is this “Hobo” sign? I recall watching a documentary on this and thought how fucking cool this is.

Only one I remember was “you can camp here” so if I ever saw it on a walk I’d leave them alone to have peace!

3 Likes