The Canadian Contingent (Part 2)

I’ve lived in both those spots as well @DougDawson. I’ve walked over the cn bridge a bunch of times as well heading to my buddy Eagles house. Small world

3 Likes

Sure is. I went coast to coast 6 times during my 2 year homeless adventure as a kid. Got to see much of the country.

5 Likes

Anyone heard of Fort Whoop Up? Thats my neck of the woods.
Outdoor shenanigans.

2 Likes

one of the reasons they sent the Mounties west was a flag flown at the that fort looked a little too American for Ottawa, it was a traders flag. like a goods trader

3 Likes

Correct, it was a whiskey trading post.
Booze for buffalo hides and so forth.

4 Likes

You ever end up riding CN or CP through the Fraser?

1 Like

have some pictures of that fort and flag it flew at other places as well during the dominion day celey rail workers working on the Calgary to Edmonton line decorated their sleeping car and the and the company store is there fling the flag

4 Likes

I’m an engineer for CN rail out of alberta. Been on that rail line hundreds of times @thainer

7 Likes

I have…absolutely stunning scenery.

1 Like

Right near the “death bridge in Lethbridge”!

3 Likes

The highest and longest train bridge in the world
This bridge is still the longest and highest of its kind in the world reaching 5,327.625 feet long (1.6km) and 314 feet high (96 meters). In its time is has been described by some as one of the wonders of the world!

3 Likes

A rail gang pose for a photo on top of a decorated boarding car, probably for Dominion Day. This was during the building of Calgary-Edmonton mainline the 1891. Aside from the Red Ensigns, the American looking flag on the left might in fact be a trader’s flag, similar to the Flag of Fort Whoop-Up, as it looks like it only has five stars and only 10 stripes.

7 Likes

Fuck so lucky! Ive been relegated to riding the rails over here on the boring east coast lmao. the Halifax to Montreal stretch is so boring compared to what my friends have experienced boston bar to Kelowna.

4 Likes

They need reopen those rails up around Cape Breton!

5 Likes

What a great picture, thanks for sharing.
I love history, and local is very cool.

2 Likes

Hopped many a train back then. My uncle worked for CP out of Kamloops for decades. The one thing I don’t miss was the canned water they gave you on the trains. Hard to believe you can make plain water taste offensive, lol.

7 Likes

I am Canadian…The moose is loose.

16 Likes

pretty sure you have the longest wood trussell bridge i took some pics last year i think it was near Mayerthorpe

12 Likes

This is the Rochfort trestle bridge. It was built in 1919. We have to cross over it at a maximum of 10mph. It’s solid but still unnerving everytime we cross over it with tonnage

10 Likes

Sweet. We have a unicorn one.

2 Likes