The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

Guyana bagseed - up potted yesterday, and using Palo Verde blossoms as mulch

(edit - oops, I just noticed this is a Central Am thread, I was thinking it was SA too.)

24 Likes

Buddy you are more than welcome here. Nobody going to chase you out.

Amazing plant you have there. Can you tell us a bit about where it came from? Weed you smoked? Or seeds a friend saved?

6 Likes

Wee do South American as well…lots of posts on here on Colombian , some Brazilian…

Bienviendos

3 Likes

On a separate but similar note.

I did a member here a favor and sourced some Seeds of Cannabiogen Punto Rojo. Despite the name it is apparently a mix of the best old reds and golds that could be found in Colombia. These are extremely rare, extremely high quality, and extremely long flowering and low yielding.

I have an extra ten pack for someone here. I am willing to trade, but don’t really need to. I am just hoping to put these in the hands of someone (preferably a known and trusted member) who can reproduce enough to share with the community.

Get @ me if you are interested.

13 Likes

The note says:
The Guyana line is from bagseed collected circa 2015 by a peace corp member in Georgetown, Guyana
The herb was likely grown on the berbice coast or linden
The seeds came back to the us and were gifted to a mutual friend who gave them to XXX to preserve and share them
XXX dedicated a whole outdoor season and crop to it once they saw the male

, y gracias @panamajock

12 Likes

Sounds amazing! Please keep us updated.

2 Likes

this is also not really the right place to post (in terms of region?) but …

i am of chilean descent and still have some chilombiana seeds of smoke
that i toked when i was younger and spend my summers home with my
family in 5° region de chile, about the heigt of valparaiso / viña del mar :wink:

i have a small amount of those old seeds and germination is horrible on them.
i will try and reproduce those into a fresh generation, but i have no clue when
i’ll be able to do it.

these seeds have a verrrry personal nostalgic value to me, so i
won’t be able to share those to anyone = i need to do this myself.

the smoke was all in the head and no body at all.
i remember us having real “heart attack” sensations
from the smoke when overtoked, haha.

these seeds are about 30 years old now and found in buds that we smoked
when i was a youngster, roaming the (sometimes dark) alleys of valparaiso :slight_smile:

i am aware that it is about 15 years away from the mythical “chilombiana”.

but tbh “chilombiana” was a term used for many varieties in the region at the time.
a bit like “skunk” in US and “mullum” in OZ … there are some variations too, i bet.

25 Likes

I would grow a plant from Guyana for sure.

6 Likes

Strange columnar growth
Looking like a pure Sativa so far…
We don’t have much South American representation in this thread. Happy to have you share.

10 Likes

Very neat! I highly recommend worm castings to aid germination of old seed. Good luck and keep us posted. There’s no time like the present for germination :grin:

8 Likes

Me to …very interesting

5 Likes

Is Guyana in South America?
In fact, Guyana is in South America. The country is located in the north of the continent, bordering Venezuela, Brazil and Suriname. Guyana is home to a wide variety of landscapes and ecosystems –

P J
Pic of Guyana weed.?ye does look very columnar. And bordering Brazil…bound to be landrace or hierloom.

7 Likes

The “columnar growth” is most likely because I had it in a two liter pot and the it just kept growing like mad (and couldnt really branch out as the roots were so confined) so I finally up-potted it and now it looks a little odd and awkward. This plant will probably get HUGE.

@santero I like your project. There’s probably some sciencey kind of thing that will make them crack, but scuffing them a little, set in water maybe with a little hydrogen peroxide… Or maybe soak them in some Stinging Nettles brew like I read about recently. I wish you the best with those

6 Likes

Very generous offer! With the amount of love that cannabiogen’s oaxaca gets, I’m sure the punto rojo will have something special in there too.

I wish I had the space and time but I wish you luck in your quest and I’ll surely be watching along!

6 Likes

One thing @ least with the Thai plants someone I know grows them every year indoors

He veg for a whole season like 2-3 months indoors

Tropical plants are more sensitive

And if there are too many plants close to each other they dont branch as much

These are more of juicy fruit Thai from 70s Thai brought back by this person

Anyway, the root restriction thing may be a way of controlling but you are going to be selecting out and killing the ultra-sensitive plants And in the end might not be left with many plants

I think the cloth bag from very start to end pot is better as far as ‘air-prune’ you get It takes stress off roots Pumice and lava rock in the bottom of the sack makes a difference

One thing I see is not enough veg time as a problem

The more sensitive plants which may be hermi-prone can be the best smoke but you cant let them go off like that…Once they do I hope you kept clone because forget it

Clones can be kept in 1 gal cloth pots without much stress under minimal light

Keep the clones because its easy to fuck up these types of plants

Veg Time Longer Thats the easy way to make all plants happy…Plants love veg time

And space around them…Even if it seems they have space They wont branch much if they think another plant is there…Sounds crazy but plants sense that space restriction and some freak-out others just wont branch

Landrace plants are sensitive indoors or anywhere but they are used to not any root restriction and long, long, long …Veg times

And short cuts like LST and Topping, FIMing scroging etc will freak-out the more sensitive plants

Anything but gentle bending will not be tolerated too well

They will adapt but we are forcing them to adapt too quickly

We are the ones that need to adapt a bit and make own soil mix with worm castings as buffer and more aggregate like pumice and lava rock

And much less Nitrogen!

These will grow right out of a rock pretty much!

Lose the Nitrogen, Root restriction, Space restriction, and short Veg time

If you must have short veg time I would just go 11 1/2 / 12 1/2 straight from seed…It would be less stressful

This is all from Juicy Fruit Thai from Thailand brought back 1970s and kept since then growing indoor

The resulting bud seems to need long cure time to do anything…4-6 months jar time

The Space restriction I think as the last thing learned about growing these They sense the other plant more than domesticated plants And its also the light frequency… the wave length It can trigger branch or columnar growth Very scientific stuff

Losing plants to all this freaky stuff is our fault We put the plants in a fucked environment Then we do other fucked up fuck-ups that really just cause these things that magnify the stress

They need time to adapt…more time than we give in general

These plants are growing fine for centuries over there

Today’s Rant is now…Over:)

9 Likes

That is a significant cultivar to get your hands on…

Do you know if they came from original release or the more recent drop they did just a few years ago?

Yeah, this would be great! …Like to see that:)

6 Likes

These are f3 I think. From the original releases and passed through 2 hands.

7 Likes

Sounds like the cannabis could be anything. At on time Guyana was controlled by the Dutch, French and finally the English. Slaves were brought to Guyana by the Dutch in the 1800’s and Indian laborers also arrived. A real melting pot of cultures.
You may remember Jonestown…where there was a mass suicide by a religious cult.

5 Likes

Hola huevon
Best of wishes with your repro, I hope it is succesful and to have the chance to try chilombiana again, the weed of the 80s is gone forever and any attempt at bringing it back is nice news

Quillota Valley next to Viña/Valparaiso is the first place in South America to have grown cannabis massively since the XVI century by spaniards

5 Likes

Very cool observations, thanks for sharing! I’ve noticed the same thing with some plants growing around each other.

2 Likes