The Cheap and Efficent LED Lighting Thread

this article states more or less what i was saying, pushing the chip in the blue green yellow range and augmenting with a separate red diode.

5 Likes

Yeah thats kind of what I was saying as well. Samsung seems to be going the route of offloading the Deep Red photons from their “full spectrum” whites to dedicated 660nm Deep Red leds that I think are way more efficient then the whites. It seems to be a way to push the efficacy of the leds and overall lights higher. They claim the added blue and near uv in the new evo’s help suppress microbial growth, add to over all plant health and add to flavonoids and cannabinoids. Although they failed to state any actual scientific study to back this up. They do cite a study that they did with a south korean university on cabbage but who knows how that translates to our favorite plant. Also I tend to take it with a grain of salt when the company selling the product is the one sponsoring the study.

From my understanding the “mint white” evos have even more push to blue and ultraviolet then the normal evo’s.

There are a few new lights that feature these diodes coming out now. HLG Scorpion Diablo 2.0 and Scorpion Diablo X feature the lm301H evo’s. AC Infinity IONFrame bar lights and Mammoth Lighting 6 or 8 bar light features the lm301h evo Mint Whites. So I will be interested in seeing some grows from people under these new diodes.

7 Likes

I’ve got this in my 2x2 VIPARSPECTRA 2023 Newest V1000… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNQF7YXZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share was on sale for $50 when I got it. Couldn’t tell you how it flowers but it’s fine for seedlings/veg the par map looks like it’d flower a 2x2 adequately, but I’m unlikely to try it. In the market for a 5x5 led, probably gonna go with the mars fce6500/8000 and some uva bars

2 Likes

Does AC Infinity use the mint whites on the supplement bars they have, too?

I have one small seedling light that’s no longer available from a company called GLG. Little 2x2 board with a meanwell. Has 1 UVB diode in it. Amazing nursery light. Grew 24 tomatoes from seed to plant outside in 2 gals. I’d like these boards or bars to start coming with a couple in them. Low levels constant is perfect.

1 Like

I think the new evo chips are just in their commercial lights for now. Looking at their site they only mention that the new chips are evo and not evo mint. So maybe its just Mammoth Lights that are using the evo mints for now.

3 Likes

Bought two and can complain other than there not waterproof, and now they raised the price by $50 but probably gonna get a third I’ll see how they do when I set up my tent. Just waiting on my prescription which might take a bit longer than expected. Hopefully by then the price will drop back to $110 but I’m happy with them, so far. Running them 18 on and 6 off about 2 months now and no issue with some air flow.

1 Like

Well that listing makes no sense as LM301B’s are white diodes and that light has none, plus many other false advertising in that listing, it looks like all the old burple lights but this one being advertised as the latest thing personally id be avoiding it.

saying that if it works for you then :+1: , i would consider looking more into a full spectrum new tech light like say that xs1500 above instead, as typically even if said light is say 240w draw due to inefficiencies of inefficient leds and old school thought of only red and blue to grow and likely cheap drivers that 240w output would compare or maybe even not to a 100-150w new style light.

6 Likes

Like science is still on going on color ratios and such but worth a watch for base knowledge.

9 Likes

Ya the specs aren’t what they say I’m sure, but there must be spectrums that human beings just can’t grasp.They can look the same but can be completely opposite from one another. Old school might be coming back lol. I haven’t done an indoor grow with them yet. They have supprized me so far getting ready for outdoor.

2 Likes

Just thought I’d share my DIY LED build here, if that’s cool.

Not exactly ground breaking in anyway, but just fits the purpose for what I need.
75cm x 75cm x 120cm tent.

This is probably the 4th or 5th DIY LED I’ve made, and I feel like this the pinnacle of my expertise now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

X8 Strips by TCI (Italian company ), bought from an Estonian seller via Ebay about 4 years ago.
There are x6 4000k and x2 3000k strips.

4mm thick Aluminium sheet and 15cm heat sinks on each driver. (Drivers were included with the LED strips when I bought them.
Each strip pulls 23w, apparently, I have no way of testing that, but it’s what I’ve read while researching these LEDS.

This is the light at full capacity,

I’ve wired it so that I can have 3 modes,
x4 strips (x2 4000k & x2 3000k)
x4 strips (x4 4000k)
x8 strips (x6 4000k & x2 3000k)

The light keeps the tent at around 26°C with 4 strips on, and I have the fan speed turned right down, so when I got to all 8 strips I can just adjust the fan as needed.

I’ve added aluminium heat sinks to each driver individually, and the whole light itself acts as a heatsink too.

21 Likes

Any idea what the heat sink and the 4mm aluminum panel temperatures are at worst case?

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Lots of great information in this thread @Mr.Sparkle thanks for writing it all down and collecting it. Really enjoying seeing discussion and deals from random amazon no name lights to long term high quality, brand name, in house Samsung boards.

Always need more lighting!

2 Likes

Dismantled my 2 older EB2 panels one yesterday and one today they would of been in use almost 4 years now come september, i may use some of the strips for aux lighting somewhere but otherwise they did well :wink: considering most dont keep their lights that long.

13 Likes

My SolStrips are getting at least that old. Lm561C diodes still getting the job done.

8 Likes

want to thank everyone for gathering this info for us. Reading over a few threads now and trying to see where 350 CAD would best be spent on

5 Likes

I have a couple EB2 strips that are actually going out already. Unless I run them without much dimming they flicker occasionally which never happened the first 1.5 years running.

I do think building your own light is incredibly rewarding, and can be a lot of fun but I (somewhat surprisingly) think the benefits of doing so nowadays are so much less than they were before full LED fixtures got cheap.

I have seen plenty of people get great results with cheap quantum boards from Kingbrite and similar Alibaba brands, but I do think the customer service and quality of HLG boards is actually worth not having to worry about your light. There are also so many threads where people use specific HLG boards that it’s easy to get advice like “how far do I keep this light for seedlings?” etc.

That … is absolutely wild lol… I’m at least a little shocked that is legal.

3 Likes

no reason why it wouldn’t be, really same diode just marketed differently

1 Like

I dont have exact readings, but the panel is warm to the touch, but not hot. The heat sinks are roughly the same, maybe a little warmer as they’re drawing the heat up from the drivers.

I’ll see if I can get hold of a laser thermometer and get some readings.

I’ll get some readings with the 4 strips on and with 8 strips on.

:v:

5 Likes

just a tip with the IR thermometers, may have to put a piece of tape on it just cause they don’t work well with reflective surfaces of say aluminum that well, called emissivity

8 Likes

Just seems really sketchy. The fact they say the diode is specifically for horticulture makes you think it’s actually better somehow for … horticulture.

I guess in general marketing just sort of rides the line of being deceptive in general.

One last .02$ I’ll say about homemade vs purchased LEDs: Home made strip lights still seem to have an advantage over store bought boards because they are usually much larger and so the spread can be a lot better. Lights can be closer and draw less power for the same PAR at canopy. It’s one advantage that remains when building your own cheap lights vs buying a cheaper LED.

Some companies do make “bar” style lights which I think catch on to this idea, but I have not seen any inexpensive bar lights, or at least any bar lights that are about as cheap as a DIY strip light. I’d be interested to see I’m wrong on that though.

3 Likes