The Cheap and Efficent LED Lighting Thread

Understandable, but they are fundamentally the same part.
They just used different specifications, such as PPF & PPE for the “H” vs luminous flux and luminous efficacy for the “B” and some small changes in the “color bins”.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Like now they are a bit different but originally the H likely would of been slightly better than the B’s strictly cause they were binning them more broadly at least color wise but more refined efficiency PPF wise, so the H’s on average likely produced a bit more light, with the B’s binned more for color accuracy with a bit wider range for light output, so deceptive not really in my mind i think that comes down to more the light manufactures and their own claims, cause who knows with a bit shadier light reps may of been buying low binned B’s and selling them as H’s, or not even using them in the first place.

And typically the advantage of the DIY is you can build them to your needs, also our diode count is alot higher making them more efficient as far as the whites go like mine are in the 2x+ range of other light that run similar wattage’s, saying that the far red diode additions bump up that efficient for them so us running more diode more efficiently vs them running less harder but augmenting with red probably is comparable when considering decent stuff.

Like am i in any rush to swap out my current f90 strips no, but give a year or two or say a free or tester light or two then yeah.

9 Likes

I’m running 2x2 lights in a 4x4. 4 of them spaced. PAR spread is fantastic.

3 Likes

@Gpaw
I managed to get a reading today (after putting a piece of tspe down to help woth accuracy), with the 4 strips running its at 39.2°C / 102.5°F

The heat sinks are a bit more difficult to get a reading from, but to touch they’re only a few degrees © higher than the main panel.

I’ll get a measure with it at full power when I have all 8 strips running, probably switching to that next week some time.

:v:

3 Likes

Mars Hydro has a range of five bar lights on preorder now that are specced with the 301H EVOs:

1 Like

Light stopped working, idk how to find out what to do to fix it. Anyone know how to test the driver? I don’t see any loose wires or anything all connections are good just stopped working and I just started using it! Really nicely made for what I paid but idk what to do and can’t seem to find anything about the driver… ANYONE? All comments/advice/links anything to help me figure out this light are welcome…

4 Likes

@Strainger Do you own a voltmeter?

I would say a meanwell hlg-185h-c1400 would be a decent replacement if it is bad.

1 Like
  • so no hint of trouble, it just stopped working?
  • How old and roughly how many hours (or thousands of hours on time)?
  • How has it been run? dimmed?/full on? some combo?
  • notice anything unusual like increased heat?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Just started using it for about 2weeks at 50% . The tent was 80°f and humidity was 65ish rh I thought I saw it flicker once but not sure, it’s a new light pretty much.

1 Like

Yes I do have a volt meter

2 Likes

Could it be the dimmer switch? It has a input/output for controller also

2 Likes

@Uprangewilly picked a nice cross.
I’m about 80% sure it’s the driver, I see it at $90 Canadian ($ 60 USD) at DigiKey.

Cheers
G

1 Like

You can unplug the unit
Hook the voltmeter leads up to the output wires
Put the voltmeter on vdc
Plug in the unit briefly
You should see the output voltage range that is printed on the driver.
Between 90 and 130 volt dc

The main thing is safety. Use your brain. Don’t mess with it while plugged in, don’t stand in water, etc…

Can you post pics of the wires coming out?

Can you unplug the dimmer?

4 Likes

I plugged in the voltage meter and it says 90-100v dc. Fluctuating and I think the dimmer was changing the voltage but idk. still not lighting up though, can I replace the dimmer with a 0-10v stepless dimmer switch?

3 Likes

With Prime day approaching, I want to try and properly light the other half of my 4x8. This looks to be the cheapest bar style for 4x4 to 5x5 that possibly has genuine specs listed. Anyone’s input would be appreciated.

1 Like

I have been researching lights for a while but I’m sure it is a decent starter light, kinda floppy and the bars will bend down towards the ends causing a hot spot. I’d go with SZHlux 4000 it’s only 160$us on amazon.i use them and on my people do too they are good :+1:

1 Like

oh. oh this is nice

I’m looking for like juuuuust above a starter light. This might be the one.

I have the 200 watt and the pt1800 and the 1800 is very impressive and has temp control dimmer that will shut down some bars if the canopy get t9o hot

1 Like

I was wondering what that temp control thing is. Thanks for the better description. They make it sound like it shuts the whole light off.

It will if temp gets above 90-95ish

1 Like