The Cheap and Efficent LED Lighting Thread

$30 coupon right now stackable with code DRMJCOCOPRO

9 Likes

nice will be worth it for alot of growers

1 Like

Haha I thought “wow I should get that Viparspectra thing for $75” but it’s 235€ here (that is with the coupon already applied). More than 3x. Fuckers.

2 Likes

I have a lighting question that may fit here.
HGL ‘quantum’ kit light(260W) with the driver removed in a ‘shorty’ tent(5’8’).
How close to the top of the tent is it safe to place that light?
Light driver & exhaust fan are outside of the tent so how far ‘up’ can I go without causing a fire?
It’s my first tent, just setting everything up…thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I can’t speak to your fixture specifically but my HLG says not to hang it higher than the hanging wires allow. I’m sure there’s some wiggle room.

But I think this advice applies mostly to driver longevity and if yours is remote, who knows.

5 Likes

Been very happy with these lights myself, though they are warmer than i would like

2 Likes

Figured this might be best place to ask.

I’m setting up a tiny tent (microscopic almost :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)
30cm x 30cm x 60xm.
This will be for keeping a few cuts and perhaps flowering out some reversals. So I don’t need a lot of light at all, just something that will fit the space.

I’d been looking at cheap clip on aquarium lights.

Can anyone recommend a light that will fit the purpose.

:v:

4 Likes

Some random thoughts:

The rule of thumb is 20W/square foot (which is 30cm x30cm) but this is for all activities.
Cuttings generally need a lot less light than flowering so being able to adjust the intensity would be a benefit.
SILs (screw in lights), shop fluorescents are all good.
With 60cm to work with you want to conserve height so maybe mounting SILs horizontally?

Cheers
G

7 Likes

@Gpaw
Thanks for chipping in!

Yeh, the 60cm height is going to be a limiting factor for sure.
I’ve found a couple of cheap led clips on lights, that I think I can modify and use them as panels. Should be enough for a few clones and or a reversal or two.

3 Likes

There are some cheap as in quality and price panels that would work, they are about $25-30 and run in the 35-45w range , efficiency isn’t the best and they produce more heat due to that but I’ll try and pull up some examples

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Briignite-Spectrum-Lighting-Dimmable-Seedling/dp/B09K7PZBR6/

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Thin-316LEDs-Spectrum-Cabinet-Dimmable/dp/B0C8ZHKDT9/

3 Likes

Cheaper panels like ^ I’d say you’d need in the 30-40w range to flower decently, but could get by with less.

1 Like

These are 30x27 cm, should fit like a glove for about $60

3 Likes

Yeah been watching those and willing to give one a try just would be over kill for 1sqft for SOA application, would need to dimm it at or under 40%

Mind you usable for a bigger space if upgrading in the future say 3sqft

3 Likes

One more of these left in stock at half price $50 here, but I think you’d have to add a dimmer @SonsOfAvery

24x28cm

3 Likes

I have the 100 and it’ll flower 4 sq ft

65 for veg would be very good I’d think.

4 Likes

I’ll take a look at that one.
It will likely be overkill for what I need it for right now.
But if its dimable, that could work. And it means I’ve always got a light fit for a bigger space If I upgrade my mini tent to a slightly larger one

4 Likes

Dimmable is always good.
Heat is the enemy; you extend life by running the hardware cooler. The less heat you need to vent makes controlling the environment easier.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Bloom Plus has dimmable lights now. They’re pretty inexpensive. I have the 4000 I hate to say it, is a pretty damn good light what I hate to say is I think you did better than my HLG 600. Both were around the same price. Got a deal on hlg. Which I never turned it up all the way. But still. I felt like BP was good.

I do run the HLG 100r and 4k for veg. 100r is full spectrum.

2 Likes

I like that guy he’s pretty good