The dumbest growing advice you've ever heard? [misinformation inside]

He was serious as hell and posted updated pics of his hacked up plants

1 Like

I will have to try it, but I think the sugar leaves of this Peyote Purple IĀ“m growing right now would get me high :smiley: Lots of frost in this lady (sorry for the crappy cellphone pic).

9 Likes

Not to be a wet blanket, but I think if you are looking for a clone to keep ā€œpheno huntingā€ would be an accurate term. You are looking for the plant you want to keep to clone for your environment, right? Maybe ā€œchemo huntingā€ would be better? Especially if you are looking for effect and not just physiological (not sure thatā€™s the right word but I spelled it right :laughing:) attributes.

There is a lot of misused jargon/nomenclature/whaterver in the community though.

7 Likes

When I tried to grow in my late 20s, an acquaintance that had an outdoor grow told me to keep the heat around 90Ā°. ā€œThese plants grow in Mexico. Mexico is really hot. The plants like it hotā€, he said. Then he told me that he wishes he had a place indoors because his plants werenā€™t very strong due to the cool temps of NE IL.

It was my very first (and last for more than 20 years). I nearly burned down my apartment using a space heater to keep the room at 90Ā°, when the cord on the space heater ignited. It happened not 10 minutes after I got home from work. My baby plants were all brown, not dead, but close. I gave it up. Looking back I had nowhere near the lighting I needed anyway.

Years later, the friend that introduced me to this ā€œgrowerā€, told me, ā€œHe doesnā€™t let it go to flower. He says it takes too long and you end up getting flowers mixed in with the leaves. He says it is the leaves that get you high, like tobacco leavesā€.:upside_down:

Sounds like he knew my guy. Wait, where was this? maybe it was him. :laughing:

Iā€™ve never run into anyone IRL that just started talking about growing weed. Seems to me that guy may have been busted by nowā€¦

3 Likes

You are so right. There are a few folks here that seem literate in terminology. Not me, when I described the view of kief in my new microscope, I called everything that wasnā€™t a trichome head, debris. There are very identifiable plant components in it, but I have no clue what they were.

Iā€™d, for one, would get a lot of benefit from one. If any of you actual horticulturalists out there are listening, would you think about this, please? :pray:

1 Like

Robert Connell Carkeā€™s book - Marijuana Botany, lost it years ago but it was good for all the terminology and breeding info but things may have moved on a bit. His book ā€˜Hashishā€™ is also worth a read.

I see a lot of folk being advised to use organic soil ph levels in their soilless peat compost grows, they get nute lockout, assume they need to feed more and destroy their plants.

4 Likes

You mean this book: :smile_cat:
Marijuana Botany - An Advanced Study - The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis.pdf (276.1 KB)
Iā€™m a freak about torrent downloads. Books are one of the things I collect, because of it, I have a fairly large library. I always download more than I need, thinking Iā€™ll use it eventually. Then I promptly forget I have it until someone, such as yourself, mentions a particular book.

Looks like Iā€™ll be having a readā€¦

Thanks for that! :grinning:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s not a bad photo. Many of the photos in OGā€™s early days were worse than your pic. Cameras have come a long way in 18-20 years. :slight_smile:

1 Like

True, but also the model here is really pretty, I love looking at her in the morning. Through a DSLR she would surely show how stunning she truly is.

Iā€™m sure she would, but she is a gorgeous model anyway. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Iā€™dā€™ve thought theyā€™d prefer ā€œrootā€ beer.

8 Likes

Best new use of the english language award goes to @Cobra50! That is brilliant! Love it.

Edit: Good pun too!

9 Likes

I highly doubt that it drives the resins anywhere, but there is some basis in fact for this one, just the fact is about other plants, like food plants. The nail raises the iron content in the plant. When I was a kid in grammar school, 3rd or 4th grade, our teacher had the class do an experiment. Everybody brought from home, a potato, a jar it would fit into and either a couple of nails or toothpicks, depending which part of the experiment you were to play. Half the class used toothpicks to suspend the potato half down into the jar. The other half used the nails. We filled the jars with water and put them on the window sill. Everyday we observed the growth. The potatoes with the nails grew at a faster rate than the ones with the toothpicks.

I donā€™t know how this would correlate to cannabis plants though.

Also, youā€™d almost have to have outdoor plants for that one. I grow pretty big plants for indoors (they harvest at 32-50" tall) and none of my plantā€™s stalks are large enough to drive a nail into. Unless your plants are deficient in iron, you donā€™t need it. Most people here are keen enough with what there crops need to be keeping up with the nutes.

I would not be surprised to find the originator of that advice was a 70s grower and the advice itself was from the 70s. You had to rely on what worked with normal plants would also work good for cannabis. People were thirsty for knowledge and good weed from their private gardens, and neither was plentiful at that time. Home grown weed was a joke! You only bought that if there was absolutely no other weed to be found.

This advice was properly forgotten from tribal knowledge, probably because it didnā€™t really work with cannabis.

3 Likes

Yep, I heard that advice around 1972 or so. I canā€™t remember the source.
I started growing cannabis in 1970. Back then there was scant information available anywhere regarding cannabis cultivation.
Trial and error and seat of the pants efforts were all I had. I also only had mostly pure sativa bagseed to try growing at latitude 40.99 outdoors!
Around 1974 I obtained a book by Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal entitled Marijuana Growerā€™s Guideā€¦EUREKA!..I would now begin growing indoors under lights.

It was still a bit of a struggle because I was still using sativa bagseeds, but at least I could grow out wispy, feathery buds without having them killed prematurely by hard frost and freezing.
Changed everything for me!

6 Likes

When I decide 17ish years ago that I was tired of spending money on a plant and I was going to grow, I found a smaller growers site. I pretty much went through everything they had. I donā€™t think they had 100 people, but I found a reference to OverGrow and checked it out. That changed everything for me.

Most bagseed seems to be high in sativa. My Blonde plants have a large sativa heritage, judging from the head high. My Purple plants have more indica so a mellower, lazy kind of high. Someday, I hope to have a large portion indica in a plant. I love that couch lock.

3 Likes

it was a guy on another site 4 to 5 years backā€¦ For a good indica there are many varieties that you can get from reputable breeders. Best indica I have tried would be Double Glock from Ripper Seeds, but I am more of a sativa guy myself.

1 Like

Words fail meā€¦ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB8Efb18--U

2 Likes

9watts emā€¦ I donā€™t know much but :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

that with a cfl light bulb i can grow a one pound plant cuz the bulb give plenty light to the room so that is going to be enough, my family is been doing it for 40 years not em but hey do it like thatā€¦i answer her well here in hawaii they use those at night to keep plants awake more hours and move plants from indoors to outdoors everyday until they are ready to flower then leaving them outside, she told me no they grow pound plants inside a room with only one of those lol and showed me a CFL

Yup seems fake news is out of control now, the guy got a serious number of views too.

Deliberate disinformation? or just a total bawbag?