The Press Room: ♨

Yes Reiko you read right! I like your approach, close the loop!

I think its important to note that when we run rosin we do big runs of high quality flower and we are not looking to extract the load in any one part of the our process. Squishing for yields tends to make us ALL push the materials too hard and you often end up taking much more than rosin out of your plants (we lab tested our product several times and adjusted our outlook accordingly while we were setting up the process) so we take a gentler approach. We intentionally leave a small percentage in the material as to not wring it out.

I will take some pics of the chip bags close up and you will see that because we use material with really high THC we can extract a 25% yield and still have visible frost in the bag. This is to ensure we didn’t over do it. At that point should you have bubble extraction setup and a hand mixer from your kitchen makes this effortless. With de-bagging during pressing, a few minutes of grinding and 20 mins for bubble hash I don’t find it a lot of work and consider it a reward.

As I mentioned before going through this process I had no idea what the buffer was, how efficient my press could be as well as how much it really locked into the pucks. When you are pressing in bigger runs and you know there is 3-5% this can mean a lot of meat on the bone still. I find that we will take an ounce and a half out of bubble hash for every lb we process solely out of materials in the chip bags. The bags themselves as you clearly demonstrated are lil gold mines themselves.

Really appreciate you taking the time and I see your name and you gens all over the forum so keep up the good work!!

3 Likes

I would also suggest that anyone with a dedicated rosin press should go through this process on a small scale at least once - It may take some time however if you are analytical about it and make some conclusions its worth it.

If you find that you have no extractable trichomes left in your chip bags you might also find high volume of waxes and fats that liquefy at around the same temperatures are likely contaminating and reducing the concentration of your concentrate.

Happy Squishing!!

2 Likes

Yes one could likely however if I was to abandon my current outlook I think I would go with @ReikoX ’ s process; simple and minimal waste. -I also think the whole neighobrhood would start to narrow in on your space if you were heating your greenhouse or house with those puppies :mask: :grimacing:

Already smells like a dead skunk in front of a burning tire factory…,Joy’s of living on the ole dirt road in a legal state of mind…:seedling::v:

Sitting here watching plants grow on a rain day. Hoping the Ups guy will drop of my press and plates, just got bags and pre press

2 Likes

this is the press I’m looking at getting, says 20ton for 300 with free shipping, almost seems too good no? the only review is someone giving 1* because they had to pay import duties of 78$ idk I might go for it what do you think??

4 Likes

Getting my Dake 10 ton press and 4x7 plates today. Just wanted to make sure it came in before posting this. Cost of press allowed me to update to better plates and controllers. I have a friend at Livernois Machine Tools that turned me on to it.

https://www.dolltu.com/dake-manual-10-b-10-width-bench-18-ton-hydraulic-press-capacity-model-height-length-23-36-utility-ph2057a4
And the plates I ordered.

Just wanted to put it out there it’s a 200 savings compared to the HF one.

5 Likes

I built my press (I’ll post some pictures once I get a chance) and have been pressing and enjoying my labors.
I only have an old school titanium nail and butane torch.

I need an enail or something like an enail.

4 Likes

I use a Magneto pen, they have coil less igniter and cupped nail head. Igniters are about 5 us each pen was 40. Also like it has hidden silicon rosin storage in screw off end cap

Nectar Collector or Honey Straw, those are where its at. I have a couple titanium nails and recently got a couple nice quartz bangers with the balls and whatnot but I just keep comin back to my nectar collector. Its easier and it hits better.

I need to find a better way to smoke my hash though. Can’t do knives since I have an induction top stove, and I’m not really a fan of smokin out of a bowl, especially when its soaked in rosin it doesn’t actually light and I’m not sure vaping it is getting everything :thinking:

2 Likes

Cardboard square, pin and glass…old school

2 Likes

What’s your guys method for getting rosin off the tool into a jar?

What I do is scrape the rosin on the edge of the open jar so the rosin ends up on the inner wall of the jar. Then I put the jar between my plates at 170 degrees for a few minutes.

The rosin then melts down off the sides of the jar and pools in the middle.

So far this is the best method I’ve found, but please share yours.

2 Likes

I scrape the tool onto the parchment, then form a ball by folding it on itself. I can then pull the ball off the parchment with my tool and plop it in the container. Puttin the parchment on an ice pack helps if you have a runny consistancy.

5 Likes

Hahahaha, what he said! Did that for the first time in ages at an old mates BBQ the other day. Well we actually used a cigarette bridge at the top of the glass but pretty much the same thing.

1 Like

I pull it off the tool with a small silicon dab mat.

1 Like

Been experimenting with “chottle tech”.

I like it so far… Haven’t perfected it yet though… This is 14g in and 2g out… not my best presses yet but I was doing lower pressure and temp.

Here is a great vid on “chottle”:

5 Likes

15% seems pretty good, seems like an interesting technique

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @MumenRyder! Squish videos are always fun although I don’t think too many folks are posting the hundreds of tests it takes to dial in a recipe for a specific strain as many of us know, just the glory!

Chottle Tech is a great way to reuse bags cut for the bottle tech method. If you have a 2" round pre-press, you can run 3 x 5g pucks per 2x4" bag (1 BT, 2 CT) and is certainly a budget-friendly and efficient method with the right input.

I would likely only turn on the camera on for known strains from familiar producers I already have recipes for, like many of these guys “OMG shes a gusher guys!” :rofl:

I will take 15% of goodness over 30% of what’s left after most people press it IMO, quality over yields every time, keep refining your method and yields can come and go

4 Likes

go for it my friend 1 day you can teach me best way how to press rosin…

2 Likes

Ooooh thats a good idea!

1 Like

Is there some kind of quickstart guide to this? its all so overwhelming with guys discussing in detail all these plates and stuff, so for somebody who has never done this before. I would like to just jump into, and I wonder if I am thinking wrong here.
Am I forgetting something on my shopping list?
1rosin press,
2a bunch of these micron bags to put the weed in
3parchment paper

put the stuff in the bags, press it in the thing while it sits on the parchment paper right?

sorry i know this sounds dumb, but id like some to know if I am going in the right direction or not.

3 Likes