The Press Room: ♨

I have a 10 ton press and my plates are 2.25 inch x 4.75 inch. When maxing out the area of my plates and pressing to the screens limits before bursting I can use all 10 ton sometimes. I only use that pressure on represses. First press is usually lower.

3 Likes

What if the plates are same size? Dabpress sells a 6 ton and. 10 ton but the plates are 3x5 for both🤔

1 Like

I would probably go with the 10-ton for the difference in price.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize the price diff was actually pretty steep…

The 10 ton needs an additional pump to function, but the pump has a pressure guage so you could dial in pressures (I guess, I dunno).

With the pump, the 10 ton is closer to 600$ and the 6 ton is closer to 400$

1 Like

I built mine for around $200…

4 Likes

Ok, I was just searching for this page. I’m building a DIY press also. Looking for everyone’s advice on what mistakes to avoid. Good places to look for parts…etc.

Was going to start with a harbor freight press but wanted to know if this was a bad start.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Do you have a thread on how you did it or a guide to follow?

I’d like to be able to process like 10-14g at a time mainly because I’d be collecting the rosin for a couple family members who only do dabs.

1 Like

I used a HF press, but ended up replacing the bottle jack because it started to leak and wouldn’t work. I bought my aluminum blocks locally for $15 cut to size. I then drilled and tapped them at my dad’s shop. Finally I ordered cartridge heaters, PID controllers, and solid state relays from Amazon.

4 Likes

I understand now how you were able to do it for 200$, basically you’re a DIY badass :joy::joy:

2 Likes

If I had to do it again, I would just buy some Low Temp Plates.

4 Likes

I bought a dabpress 4 ton press a couple weeks ago. Its fun to play with. I got the square pre press die for it too but don’t use it anymore after I learned how to bottle tech the bags.

3 Likes

For the size of the plates you mention I would definitely go for the 10 ton. You will be able to use all of the weight. Even if its just to get the gauge. You definitely will appreciate the gauge when you have it. You can fine your technique and experiment. eg: I dont just apply all the pressure at once. I slowly apply light pressure to let the heat transfer and as the resins start to run you can see the gauge drop a little. Then I start to give it more pressure.
My plates cost me me around $200 US and my press cost me around $270 US.

5 Likes

Does your press have a guage? If you followed a guide or made a thread somewhere maybe you could link? Thanks man!

1 Like

I learnt by starting with basics. Then I figured the rest by trial and error. Keeping in mind that I already knew how to use a press and came from the trades which helps when you know how to use tools and equipment and how to figure out forces and pressure over area etc. I guess something no one usually says in these threads is that you are creating a pressure of 10 tons within the frame. That’s like around 4 pickup trucks of weight within its frame. Always be mindful of that so you don’t injure yourself.
As to how you press also depends on what you need:

As an example:

I do not like to press a lot at once. Otherwise I end up smoking a lot more :slight_smile: It helps me to keep track of how much I am consuming if I am pressing more regularly. Therefor I do not use screens as the amount of loss using screens when you are pressing small amounts increases. Without a screen I can press up to 1.5 grams without the puck pushing out the side of the plates I have. So I press 1.5 grams at a time for that reason. 1.5 grams presses out to a puck that is about 3 square inches. I go by a 1.2 ton per square inch of FINAL puck surface area. So I press it up to 3.6 ton.
My method is to have the press at 80 degrees C (176 degrees F) Press down lightly on the puck, ( I do not know how light as my gauge does not read that low but it needs to be firm enough that the heat will transfer through to it effectively) I give it about 1 minute for the heat to transfer then slowly build up the pressure to half a ton over about 10 seconds. then leave it sit for about 30 seconds then press slowly up to 1 ton again over 10 seconds. Leave it for about 10 seconds then press up to 3.6 ton over about 15 seconds. Once up to 3.6 ton I leave it for 45 seconds then remove. A total in the press of 3 minutes only to minimise loss of terpenes. This gives me a very good clean resin without a screen and the parchment paper does not get damaged at all leaving resin on the plates. I do not do a second press usually. I keep the pucks then give them to a mate to vape or use them to cook.
As for links, i do not have any that specifically taught me what i needed to know. I just watched shitloads of youtube and read a lot of websites about it and took what i needed from each to form my own techniques to suit my needs. Happy to answer any questions that I can though. If I cant answer it I am sure there will be someone else here who can.

5 Likes

So I would love to build a press right now but spring is here and I do not have time. What are your thoughts on finished presses like this?

or…

5 Likes

Based on what I’ve read people really like the Dabpress presses.

One thing to note on that 10 ton press, is that you need a pump with it.

They are sold out right now, but this is the one they sell to match the 10 ton:

Not exactly cheap when you add the price of the press, but you get a guage on the pump.

3 Likes

I used to test presses for Dulytek. Their electronics are not great and I told them so…after 3 failures. The bottle jacks are not a standard height either should you want to replace them (I had leaks within 2 weeks of use)…Bought the Dabpress 12 ton w/ pump and have been very happy with it…after selling the Dulyteks that I got for free during the tests.

3 Likes

Pressed some flower last night…

8 Likes

Nice looking rosin ReikoX👌

Do you use bottle tech or any filter bags? Or what is your process like?

No, I use a 1.5x1.5" pre-press (yes I made that too) that I load with 5 grams of flower. I press it with a 600lb vice clamp while my plates heat up. Then put the puck in a 2x3" 160 micron bag and press it between the parchment for about 4 minutes at 85°C. I dont have a guage, but I don’t apply full force at once, but rather add pressure every minute or so to keep pressure up.

5 Likes