The Press Room: ♨

Devastating review.

6 Likes

what is the purpose this activity…?? curious to learn whats done here and how… :hushed:

Sorry but that’s my impression.

6 Likes

Rosin = Solventless Concentrates…made with heat and pressure only.
Lots of Google info out there.

4 Likes

Thank you for the update. I saw your other review on another forum…before the failure. That is good to know.
I’m leaning toward a 10 ton Strongway Press from Northern Tool or a brand off of Amazon called OEM. I just need to figure out where to buy plates and such. Any recommendations on something that won’t break the bank?
I really like the idea of buying a good press and then I always can upgrade the rest down the road.

2 Likes

My pleasure. @Tommy_McCain
The 10 ton H frame in the photo was from Redline Engineering in Florida USA. It was a bit cheaper than the Strongways and at least as good if not better imo. I paid $300 last yr, but the price was up to $330 when I sold it along with the Dulytek plates.

I like the Dabpress plates, mostly for the controller and the fit and finish of the plates themselves. IMO, depending on your needs…3x5"plates are the way to go for both cost and decent presses of between 7-10 grams with no bag (I am a lazy fk…LOL) I bought the Dabpress 3x5 press but soon realized that I wanted bigger plates…sold that and bought the new 12 ton Dabpress with 4x7" plates. I can easily press between 10-14 grams without a bag (I do use a prepress mold)

I like the Dabpress PID controller for a few reasons. They hold the temps very closely and don’t drift around alot. PLUS, even after the 1 yr warranty they will replace a failed PID for 50% off retail! I have spoken with their CS and they were very helpful too.

If they are too pricey. there are a bunch of no name plates on Ebay, but I have had no experience with anything but the Dulyteks and the Dabpress units. Personally I like Un-caged plates, since the springs (cage) was always getting in the way (no fault of Dulytek, they are all that way). If you are not moving plates from one press to another, I see no reason to get the more expensive plates caged…but that’s a personal choice.

The biggest problems that I saw with all the imported presses was the damage caused in shipping. The boxes that they use can’t stand up to the abuse from the carriers and damage occurs.

Good luck, and If I can be of further help…don’t hesitate

6 Likes

Hey Buzzer, how do you use your prepress? Do you smash it by hand, or how do you compress it?

1 Like

I used to stand on it…LOL…but that got old fast…Now I use a Harbor Freight arbor press…El perfecto!

2 Likes

I bought the Northern Tool table top 10 ton press with the gauge. Then I’m still running a set of DIY Greengenes plates.

3 Likes

I wish I knew that before I got the dulytek plates as I do find it does drift. I made mine as well and have a couple different sized prepresses depending on what I’m doing.

4 Likes

If you are buying a press off the shelf the most important thing to look for is the following. Make sure the thermocouple is separate from the heater cartridge. If it’s a thermocouple on the heater you are getting the heater temp and not the plate temperatures. When the thermocouple is separate it reads the plates and not the heater. It also needs to go length of plates not just to middle .Now regarding drift how many of you have checked the PID parameters? You can adjust the amount of time’s per second it reads temp and turns heaters on and off , I’ve never seen ones off the shelf have consistency with the PID reading compared to better ones like novus Also the PID used from Chinese sellers are the cheapest you can get , I’ve not managed to get them to match performance of a proper pid like used in industry …
Yes you can take temp readings separate but you shouldn’t have to IMO.

4 Likes

That’s very cool! I was gonna get the plates that you have, but in 4x8" size. Those look solid as does the controller.

The only reason for my pre-built Dabpress is that the climate here is not great for pressing in the garage. Summers are way to hot and winters way to cool, so I needed something smaller, but still powerful, for inside the house.
In any event…Rosin pressing has become an art, and presses are just tools to get what we are after in clean meds!

Happy Pressing, and stay safe!

4 Likes

Ok, I ordered the Strongway press. Northern Tool is running a sale and it was $100 less with shipping than the OEM and Redline press. @Buzzer777 thanks for the recommendation, the Redline was the best looking press for sure, but I can’t justify $100 more.

What do I need for bags? I see @ReikoX uses the 160 micron. Do I need anything else?

Remember I’m new to this new fancy rosin stuff. Recently decided I need to cut back on the flower smoking. Especially with this whole Coronavirus thing.

4 Likes

Great deal you got there!
Get some GOOD parchment paper…Not Reynolds either. I like the Kirkland (Costco) brand myself. I find that doubling it up helps stop the leakage on to the plates. I use a dab tool for collection…Clay modeling tools are cheaper than so called “dab tools” and are just as good. (Hobby/craft stores). You will also need some silicon jars for storage imo.

BTW…I stopped using flower for my edibles and tincture…Now I decarb the rosin and then make the edibles,…way stronger and better tasting than anything that I used before.
Have fun; stay safe; and enjoy!
As I said…I don’t use a bag, but I do use pre-press molds.

2 Likes

Ok I ordered everything. I’ll post a picture once I build it up. I’m so old school with smoking…I feel like a college kid or something. I’m just going to pretend I need it for the garage when it arrives. My wife will kill me.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641793_200641793

Here are the plates.

5 Likes

is that princess autos 12 ton press?? its on sale $100 off right now until tomorrow and i was eyeing it but i live in an apartment so was thinking of the 10 ton benchtop press

how much did everything else after the press cost (heated plates, controller, etc)?

and what’s the minimum pressure that would be sufficient for making rosin, and what size plates are optimal? would prob want to do larger squishes like 14-28g. i was also looking at complete pre-built 5-7 ton rosin presses on alibaba for ~250-350 canadian

2 Likes

It is from Princess. I got it on a sale as well. It’s the 10 ton bench model but it is still fairly heavy to move around.
The plate kit is 4”x7” and it is not dulytek. I actually bought the dulytek pre press moulds.
It is Tuopuke. And I wish I could figure out how to set it to limit the drift of it.

4 Likes

I don’t think that you can set or limit the drift on any of them. Your Tuopuke plates and controller are a good setup…Dual heaters on each plate are the way to go on the larger plates.From appearances…that PID controller is the same used by many Chinese companies.
The drifting is also due to the environment around the plates… Colder will make it drift more than ambient warmer temps existing in the room.

1 Like

You can set any PID to do what you want , like the amount of times it reads temp in a set time or how far the overshoot undershoot is . On my pids the heater is set to come on and off 2 Celsius above or bellow the set point , so if set at 90 it comes on at 88c and off at 92c. There’s a reason I did not use these cheap PID controllers , although set up correctly there is very little “drift” . If set up correct the environment does not cause many issues as the pid is correctly set up. If you need instructions maybe try Auber instruments for the Chinese small pids

1 Like

would a 5 ton or 7 ton press be sufficient?

1 Like