Thinking of trying indoor this fall, first step lighting?

So thanks to OG my interest has been piqued to try indoor growing. I’ve got lots of experience with the sun and soil, but never tried indoor with a tent.

So I’ve been shopping around, looking at lighting, reading up on what’s supposedly good or bad. I found a few high end lights that look like good deals, but they’re also still pricey. One guy who had some Gavita 1700s actually suggested I NOT go that route and buy an EGL 750 GSR if I’m growing in a tent. I’ve read a bit about Beaudelaires SolStrip and that interests me as well. I’d prefer something reliable and that doesn’t need upgrading after one grow. Looking at 4X4 or 5X5 tents, and that can be discussed too. I’d like to be in the $500-1000 range.

So lets have some suggestions on what works for you, ballpark prices etc. I’m in Canada, so that could factor in as well. Appreciate any help.

13 Likes

www.growlights.ca has reasonable prices

3 Likes

I use this one in one of my 4x4 tents

I use an HLG 550 v2 in another tent. this is a lot cheaper.

4 Likes

I usually buy my lights from Kingbrite straight from factory through Alibaba

Meanwell drivers, mostly Samsung diodes on them and they’re cheaper than paying a company to middle man them to you.

You’ll get hit with around $40 import fee through Fedex but it still works out to a good price

7 Likes

If you are ‘handy’ there’s always the DIY route.
But the gap between DIY and COTS is generally growing less these days.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Think I prefer the bar style

I like that the Chinese are using Samsung and Meanwell, but still leery of having to ship if there’s any warranty issues.

I have no problem assembling stuff. But yes, I’ve noticed it doesn’t save you as much as I’d think it would have.

4 Likes

HLG Canada has a 25% off Fourth of July sale (???) with a discount that shows up in your cart on right now, you could double up these kits in a 5x5 for a nice spread:

https://horticulturelightinggroup.ca/collections/kits/products/320w-xl-qb-v2-led-kit

4 Likes

There’s also this guy which is running $280 CAD delivered right now which seems to have been good for a bunch of OG users so far:

3 Likes

I hear ya, anecdotal but I’ve order a few times and never had issue.

I also feel like for the markup of having a warranty you could almost buy a whole new light anyway. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

So many lights will satisfy this space. I have grown with both the HLG 600 Rspec and Mars FC bar light series in those tent sizes and both did an amazing job. Those 2 I can reccomend personally.

4 Likes

HLG still ships from the US I think. Makes them more costly here. I could be wrong.

3 Likes

I love my Sonofarm with onboard uv and ir.

https://sonofarm.com/product/sonofarm-uv-ir-pro-farmer-series-450w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum-diodes-dimmable-daisy-chain-commercial-indoor-veg-flower-growing-lamps-hydroponics-greenhouse-lamp/

The pic makes it look like a blurple, it’s not.

True sunlike spectrum, on-board ir and uv, 5 year warranty and they gave me a discount (about 10% off the sale price) just for asking for one.

They also played with the shipping receipt so I only paid about $60 duty and paid no Ontario taxes at all.

3 Likes

https://indoorfarmer.ca/collections/led-grow-lights/products/growers-choice-roi-e420-led-grow-light

This may just do the trick for you if you want a solid brand in ur price range that ships from Canada. I think if I was going to do a 5x5 tent I would grab the ROI-E720 though.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the responses. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if you can run the Fohse Aries 640 without the $600 controller, or is that defeating the purpose? Same with the Gavita 1700…does it need the controller? Just asking cause I found great deals on both, though they are at the very high end of my budget…or are these 2 lights complete overkill?

Is there a big difference between Samsung 301b diodes and 3030?

How about this? You said up to $1000. I have a 2x2, their 6in fan and controller setup. Pretty nice gear and this would all be integrated.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty cool setup. Though I just retired from playing hockey a little over a month ago and I’m looking for a hobby to keep me occupied over the winter…that thing looks like I’d still be trying to find a hobby! LOL. I’ll keep it in mind…I’m in no rush, want one going by the fall. Thanks!

1 Like

what’s your space like? (Canadian winter?) if your temps are low, LED may not be the jam…

I’ll be doing it in a spare bedroom so temp shouldn’t be an issue.

If you have a spare room, save yourself the money and ditch the tent idea. I also recommend HLG for your light. The 25% off sale is killer right now!

2 Likes

Get a ChilLED and never look back.

1 Like