This is why I dont like LEDs

I’ll send another-say the word.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

Sorry? :man_shrugging:

This is surprising & disappointing-- I’ll happily forward your feedback to them-- he seems genuine & interested in hearing it.

:evergreen_tree: Aloha

1 Like

I’m sold on the BAS so far, but I’m only on my 10th or so plant with it. I cut it 50/50 with tupur for veg, and then go full strength at flower. I got dark green leaves juuuust bordering on burn during veg on my first run, with less tupur, but no yellow tips. If I had run it full strength, I think they would certainly have burned.
I also acknowledge the potential for fungus gnats, as I’ve had one bag that had s few. I bottom water, so this never became an issue.
I used to run FFOF, but found it to be consistently deficient in Potassium, so far the only thing I think BAS might be a little short on is Fe.
Different styles different outcomes, I imagine. BAS is worth the money to me, and I only use the 3.0 mix, no other purchased amendments.

4 Likes

Nectar of the Gods…lmao…think i fell for it in like '95 and bought some :poop: :poop:

2 Likes

I doubt it with the basalt rock dust Jeremy uses. In fact, that’s why they have Big 6 trace minerals (no Fe) instead of TM-7 which includes it.

5 Likes

Fair. My statement comes from some observations that may just have been generic presentations of the strain I was growing. Mild interveinal chlorosis on new growth, and somebody said my red petioles indicated Fe issues… obviously might also be pH screwing with Calcium/Mag uptake balance, and subsequently throwing off iron uptake.
3.0 is a potent bag.

2 Likes

The tomatoes and peppers seem to like the led lights.
Thinking I might finally replace one of the veg lights on the cannabis plants with some veg specific t5 led bulbs tuned for veg with uv of course :grin:

veg spectrum and bloom spectrum led is the way to go if going led , this full spectrum nonsense is a compromise.
Also anybody who says plants don’t need UV light is wrong , there are studies finally coming out that prove my long standing theory that cannabis plants benefit from UV light.

5 Likes

I’m quickly coming to the conclusion that my theory about the light spectrum of certain led lights being less then ideal for vegging plants is well founded.
This whole full spectrum nonsense is just marketing , they contain light from the blue to orange/red spectrum just like most other types of grow light , what matters is the balance of color and most led lights are heavier on the orange/red end then the blue. This is ideal for flowering plants but not vegging plants , some of the full spectrum have a more balanced mix but it’s still not what is occurring in nature. Spring threw mid summer starts off heavy blue and then mid summer threw fall it becomes more and more orange/red.

In the first picture plants in the left are under blue spectrum t5 fluorescence while the ones on the right are under red heavy full spectrum led. It’s painfully obvious they don’t like the led full spectrum.
The second photo is plants under adjustable spectrum led lights (on veg spectrum) and are the happiest of them all. These led lights are 25watts each and 2 of them are outgrowing 162 watts of t5. There $50 each and I’m very happy with them. Included is a picture of the light box with the three optional spectrums.

Hello science my old friend you have come to visit us once again.
Because a theory was slowly forming
While the utility bill kept growing
I decided to plug them in
Now things are going
While the power use is slowing
I sing the song of science.

5 Likes

I’m glad to hear that you’ve decided to believe what you already believed, and wanted to keep believing, based on anecdotal evidence… from yourself. Still not science, bro. :wink:

9 Likes

Just look at what the horticulture pro’s are using.

1 Like

I prefer not to use a spectrum at all. Just one solid homogeneous photon.

11 Likes

That’s comical , you must not understand the scientific principle as well as you think.
I’m not sure what you define as science but the basic method is you observe something and form a theory about what is the cause you then test that theory on controlled circumstances hoping to replicate the observation as desired, when those results are able to be replicated and controlled dependably you have strong evidence that your theory is in fact the cause.
I have two degrees pertaining to the natural sciences but yeah go ahead and tell me how it all works.
I’m making comparisons in real life with the results I expected to see , what are you doing besides making passively rude comments on a thread many of us enjoy and find informational , congratulations I hope you win at the internet today , I’m enjoying life smoking great weed and growing my own food., if you don’t have something nice or productive to add to the conversation you may want to ask yourself why you feel the need to say anything at all.

2 Likes

That’s ironic because I am I horticulture professional by definition…
and there is a multitude of different methods and light types being used across the industry along with opinions on what is the best and why.

If you have two degrees in scientific disciplines, I’m sure you understand the concept of peer review. I’m attempting to peer review your experiment, but I find no defined parameters, an ill-defined hypothesis that you think is a theory, and a conclusion that seems to be based entirely on which group you think looks better. Thus, I define it not to be science, bro.

As far as productive… pot, meet kettle. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, I’m sorry you got mad that I disagree with your assertion that this is scientific evidence. I’m not sorry I disagree, though.

5 Likes

To attempt to add a little levity, I’ll post my redneck version of the Scientific method that I’ve followed all my life
Step 1- F*#* around
Step 2- Find out
It’s fairly simple and effective lol.

6 Likes

Well good thing I was not submitting my results for review but rather sharing them with the group because it pertains to this thread.
Same soil , same water and feed , same plant varieties, all started on the same day the only variable is the lights. The plants under one type of led are small and yellowing , the plants under the flourecent are twice the size and nice and green but a little stretchy , the plants under the veg specific led are same height , equally healthy but thicker. The lights that produce the best results are the ones I’m going with considering there are no other variables that would account t for the difference. Pretty basic and easy to understand what’s going on here, not to mention light spectrum and how it applies to plants during various stages of growth is something that has been understood for a long time.
One type of led heavy in red not so good for veg
Standard fluorescent veg lights good
Veg specific led even better
I’ve determined what lights I will be using and will be cutting my watts in half so I’ve accomplished the goals I started out with regardless.
Having fun, growing better plants while using less energy, seems worth it to me.
Next step will be to find out if 4 of these (100watts) can replace a 600 watt hps that runs on 75% power setting while growing equal or better quality flowers.

3 Likes

The point that heritage was/is making (I think?) is that he’s noticed that certain LED’s (like the ones he’s currently using) suck for vegging. He actually even says it right here:

I don’t think he was making a blanket statement about all LED’s, despite the title of his thread. Just judging from the pics, it looks like they’re UTILITECH lights haha, which, uh, I dunno. They’re certainly “blurple.” Probably made in China. Available at Wal-Mart and Amazon, so…

Like I said a while back, @Heritagefarms, you usually get what you pay for. We can definitely get away with “going cheap” for some things, but I dunno if a crappy LED is one of them. I’m glad I decided to pay a shitload of money for my Apaches, anyway. They’re great lights. I use them for sprouting, vegging and flowering and they seem to grow pretty fucking awesome plants. None of this,”What spectrum should I put them on?” or,”Should I turn them up to 63% percent now?” or whatever. I just turn them on and grow.

7 Likes

Fair enough… though in this case, I think the Utilitech are the ones he’s saying are better. They’re the ones with dimmable red/blue, like some of the other less-terrible blurples that came out before people started releasing full spectrum. It could be that the full spectrum ones he has are just crappy though, no idea. I’ve noticed I’m getting stretchy plants in veg with the new LEDs I’m trying in my veg tent too. Maybe they weren’t such a good deal at $40 each. :stuck_out_tongue: Fairly sure it’s not because they’re LEDs though, it’s because they’re crappy LEDs that I got for a song and a prayer. The ones I actually paid for were doing the job great, just wanted to rotate them somewhere else and get more space.

I suppose what got me is that he came into the thread “singing the song of science” about completely anecdotal results, that’s all. Some lights are definitely better than others though, and you typically get what you pay for.

7 Likes

I’m not up to date on the whole thread it’s a lot to read lol but …. Me personally I’ve only had great results using “full spectrum” LEDs (a few Viparspectra xs2000 … and before I got those the cheaper viparspectra vt300 series were good too). My first major issues growing started to arise when I started to use a friends 250 watt hps in his actual setup I think there are benefits and disadvantages to both LED and HPS but mainly i think it just comes down to the grower and their style

4 Likes

Personally I use both full spectrum led and hid. The led is only used for seeds, or seedlings and small plants. Hid for bud all the way, but that’s just what works for me. I love big plants and big buds and I haven’t been able to come close to what I can do with hid. That’s just what works for me. I can see the veg specific and flower specific leds working better but I’m not in the position to spend 1500 a light for flower and veg. I want to someday find magic leds that I can replace light for light but the affordable leds just aren’t there yet.
That’s just my personal rant. I have nothing against LEDs they just don’t perform for me like I’m used to.

6 Likes