This seems familiar- Seamonkey84’s first grow in 12+yrs

So far I like it. Though the wall separating the two sides needs the tape to light proof it for sure. Though I’m not sure how they would do it, I wish there was a light proof vent Built into that panel so that the two sides can share the same exhaust fan. The shelf is fairly sturdy, but it’s just a metal wire basket with a liner in it. I’m using the top for seedlings and clones, bigger containers will go on the bottom. Though that has me a little concerned with the heat from the stronger lights below. I’ll be using LEDs, but they still give off some heat in a closed area.

5 Likes

I decided to Remove 4 bulbs and dropped it down to 31-32w/sq ft, up potted two smaller plants and squeezed 5 in there total.

12 Likes

One week into bloom, I did my final trimming on the plants to reduce height, but hopefully not loose yield since I’m only one week in and it’s still stretching. Im seeing that it’s now forming bud sites instead of more sucker branches. I reduced it to two colas per branch to help focus the growth.

12 Likes

Looking good brother and they will still stretch another good week.May may need to tie some branches over.What you did should give you nice big main colas now.

3 Likes

for some reason I had a flashback to the old pistilwhipt method of training - does anyone remember that?

3 Likes

That doesn’t sound familiar, what is it?
I basically pruned it like I would when chopping back a mother plant. Cut it down to the last set of growing nodes. But then I selected two nodes per main branch to keep, and pinched the rest off. I was second guessing myself since one of them didn’t get any training last week so it’s a bit behind the other two. I hope I didn’t just kill my yield. I had to take these measures to minimize the chance of them growing right into the lights. I’m going to super crop them through the stretch to keep it to a minimum. Though one of them is critical mass, would super cropping be as needed, or even a negative if the nodes aren’t stretched out a little to allow for size of buds. On, I also removed all the warm white bulbs and going with all cool white (5000K) for now until the stretch is done, then switching over to a more even mix.

4 Likes

it was a method of pruning that was posted on the old overgrow site back in the day by a member named @PistilWhipt that allows you to grow huge gigantic elephant dick colas. Basically, you remove all the branches below the top three nodes but leave the fan leaves, allowing them to do what they do, but not branch out there. This pushes all of the new growth up in to the top 3 nodes which causes your plants to usually end up with colas the size of your leg

5 Likes

Saw a dude do that on youtube tonight.he did one plant that way and one the kushman way

4 Likes

Hmm… I did pull all the sucker branch nodes… so yea, I think these are going to be big colas lol. I’m sure I’m going to need some support for them, I’ve super cropped fairly heavy early on, several branches are actually have big holes going Laterally through them where I crush and bent them.

3 Likes

in the method I described you remove the branches but keep the fan leaves at the lower nodes

3 Likes

I’ll try that later with different plants, I had to minimize the height, chopped everything down to last pair of nodes. Hope it doesn’t double in height still…

3 Likes

Hey wait, I have 2 smaller plants in there too, I’ll try that with them! Actually… I still have the third smaller plant tucked in the bloom chamber… I pull her out of the way when I take pics. I just haven’t up potted her. I might be able to fit a 2gal nursery container in there since she’s already a week into bloom with the rest :grimacing:. The light I’m using on the veg side is set to the height of my clone and 16oz manifold challenge, and I haven’t gotten the light for the second shelf yet :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Man you got me excited. I love experiments. If mychorrizae does give substantial results, then side by sides between products would be a next fun step.

2 Likes

There’s videos on YouTube already, but I’m still giving it a trial myself.

2 Likes

I removed all the small new chutes and trimmed off small branches that were not going to reach the trained canopy leaving the big fan leaves.plants seem to be loving it and that autos at that.

3 Likes

All plants are throwing hairs at all the (remaining) nodes. The ethos cookie has what looks to be the start of male pollen sacks under calyx with hairs… still a bit early so I’ll keep an eye on it.

13 Likes

I have a hermi. Keep it and pluck the balls or just pull it. I could use the space for another plant. I only see it on the lower nodes, but honestly these are bag seeds so what am I loosing.

6 Likes

I would toss it, personally. Especially one that shows that early.

YMMV.

5 Likes

Yea, right after posting that I decided to pull it. Pulled the root ball out and put the other banana kush in its place. It was just sitting off to the side in bloom, but didn’t get up potted with the rest.

4 Likes

The test of the mykos may have to wait for another batch of cuttings. Just like last time, these grease monkey cuttings are taking forever to root and have lost more leaves to yellowing than I’d like. I still have them going but nothing yet. In comparison, the one cutting of the first banana kush that I up potted had roots poking out of the pellet 3 days ago and has already been planted.

4 Likes