Timing question due to conflicting information

I am finding conflicting information, so I figured I would ask. When do I start spraying a Fem Autoflower plant to reverse it for Self pollination or pollen collection? I have read that I should start spraying as soon as I see flowers starting to form AND I have also ready that with any autoflower I should start spraying as soon as I see the first set of true leaves form. Do I start spraying at a differnt time for reversing the whole plant for pollen collection than I do for Selfing the plant?

I am good on how often to spray (I think) Every 3 days. I also know to let it dry in the dark before returning it to a lighted tent(due to my lights on and off timing I am not Awake to spray it just before the lights go out.

I am also pretty sure I have the mixing down, I am running two double strength stock Solutions made with distilled water and stored in light proof jars in the fridge, so If I am correct it should be 25ml of each in the spray bottle then filled with distilled water, my bottle holds somewhere between 800-950ml total.

Does the order I mix them into the spray bottle matter? Should it be Silver Nitrate first or Sodium Thiosulfate first or should I put the distilled water in first then mix in the other two? If the order does matter what order should they be mixed in?

1 Like

Regarding the order check out @Sebring’s video (or read the video description).

For timing there is another, check especially from minute 17 to the end

9 Likes

this recipe didn’t work for me very well. i never got any visible nanner/pods and I tried twice on the same cut. i think i managed to get a couple seeds on a nearby plant, but i never really got to ‘reversed’ status. reversal should be pretty dramatic, right?

2 Likes

Yeah, when it takes, it generally looks like a full blown male. Wish I would’ve taken a picture of some autos I reversed a while back.

That said some plants are difficult to reverse.

As for the OP, I’d spray closer to when you see the pistils/preflowers form, perhaps a little bit earlier if you know the strain flowering schedule that well. I think when the first leaves are forming is way too soon.

I have not watched Sebrings video, so cannot comment. I’ve successfully used this guide in the past:

4 Likes

Sebring says for autoflowers to start at 3 weeks after the first set of true leaves. Which is what you would expect to be the start of flowering for an auto.

2 Likes

My basic understanding of reversing plants, treatment should start PRIOR TO flower onset. That can be difficult to gauge with autos, so, as stated, probably start treatments at week 3 from seed. Every auto I’ve ever grown had always flowered between weeks 3-5 from seed.

2 Likes

That is the Issue, I have saw BOTH said from what I would consider reliable sources. I have seen some say catch it right before flower and I have saw some say catch it just after flowering starts.

1 Like

My biggest problem, is that I have been told start spraying at 3 weeks before you seen any pistils, and I have been told dont start spraying until you see the very first pistils pop up. Both have been people I consider a reliable source of information, so im really confused as to when to start.

I can vouch for the @Sebring method.
Though, I’ve only done autoflowers.
I will start those a few weeks apart.
:slightly_smiling_face:
The treated plant gets its first spray 5-10 days before flower. Then every 4-5 days, for a total of five treatments. I think I might have used 60ml of finished STS solution for a full reversal.
Ballz everywhere! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
:call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Autos are my focus for now, I do have some photo strains from my dream list that i will be growing out like Durban Poison and Freakshow and Green crack. But I want to make sure my cannabis growing skills are on point and growing great plants before I tackle my dream strains so that i dont screw them up. Killin a 2 dollar white lable seed sucks bad enough without killing good seeds lol.

1 Like

@Sebring 's method is what I do. So far I’ve only had 1x failed reversal and from what I’ve been told it was the cultivar (First Class Funk) that made it not work as it was tried before and they got a total of 3 seeds.

My attempt got 4! :rofl:

When I do STS i soak the plant every third day for a few weeks.

2 Likes

Fuck I’ve sprayed right after first trve leaves! :rofl:

We’re trying to genetically modify a plant here, so starting small means easier transitioning IMO.

2 Likes

They do ok that way? Good to know. I would not have dared to try that early.

Technically we are just suppressing a hormone :nerd_face: I’d guess it is not relevant before the flowering process starts but might save you a few days when it’s done right from the very beginning.

4 Likes

You’re not wrong, and I am 2 bowls of Buddhas Cane into my AM… :wink:

1 Like

Nice, enjoy! :drooling_face:

1 Like

When I reversed my White Widow Auto, I started approx. 1wk before flower. I sprayed every 5 days, 3-4 sprays total. I thought I’d messed up the ratio or missed the window, and then one day, bananas started showing up. Over the next 2wks, tons of bananas.
My plants were small, maybe 2ft tall?..self-pollenated and produced a ton of seeds, as in hundreds.

This was taken Aug 3rd:

This was taken Aug 12th:

This was taken July 24th:

2 Likes

you can spray early or later it doesn’t really matter too much, the reason people wait till they see some pistils and calyxs is to confirm its a female, but the sooner you spray typically the easier it is for the plant to reverse.

I personally wait till about that 2.5-3week point reason being is one i can confirm its a female, two i get to see a little bit of structure, and its just before the plant start to ramp up for flower where as if i let it start throwing alot of pistils it takes more time and is slower to reverse as your working against that ramped up plant.

3 Likes