To spray, or not to spray? :)

I have a question about spraying clones. I’ve read elsewhere that some spray as often as twice daily, and others spray once, period.

What say you, OGers? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Lob

4 Likes

Once on clones at very start then after that just once aday inside prop lid when refreshing air , no where else or leaves will droop like overwatering : )

5 Likes

Hey @Lobstah . I root in rock cubes and never spray fresh cuts. I spray the inside of the dome and that’s it. Also no standing water in the trays.
10-14 days later I have rooted cuts with 95% success. I can’t remember the last time I lost a fresh cut. Cuts out of the fridge is a slightly different story.:grin::peace_symbol:

6 Likes

Right…I’ve read this same experience elsewhere, but others claim that 2wks is ridiculous for roots, and that left alone, they’ll root in as little as 3 days?

Lob

2 Likes

The best practice is to prep mum with bloom feed for week befor takin cut to boost p and k in subsequent cuts and this lowers the n in cuts also
When takin cuts of mums take them 1 hour after feeding
P and k is not as easily stored in plant so with cuts this is what runs out first so preload them on mum first
P is for roots , k for plant health
The lower n in cuts is what forces cuts to root quick in search for food
If cuts are dark green loaded with n this is what prolongs rooting as plant does not need to find food as urgently
: )

5 Likes

It depends on your cloning method. I use a bubbleponic/dwc system, no dome no spraying at all.

3 Likes

Understood. I should have specified non-cloning approaches…

Lob

2 Likes

That is what I use for cloning…

Me too. Doesn’t get any simpler.

1 Like

I spray 3 times a day to start. And back off after a few days to once a day. Then not at all after about 10 days. Sounds like I’m overdoing it. And I started as the worst cloner on earth. Now I’m almost 100 percent. My process improved when I started using pure perlite in small clear plastic cup.

I don’t spray nothing

1 Like

What’s your time to roots?

Lob

1 Like

10ish days. I use a bubble cloner. Sometimes I wish it was warmer than it is :+1:

2 Likes

I only ever directly sprayed cuttings in the first day or two, after that I just spray the inside of the Dome or the lid just to keep humidity up. I noticed if I was spraying the cuttings directly it was taking slightly longer to get roots because the roots didn’t actually have to search for water. Ive never used a bubble/aero cloner. I’ve only ever taken cuttings, place in water, recut stem on angle, dip in rooting gel and into a peat pellet then directly into the tray w dome.

Average time for roots is about 10 days give or take a couple days. Fastest I’ve had roots was in 6 days on a bubblicious I grew in 2017

3 Likes

It’s funny how some root so quickly and others take forever

I do agree with @ifish prep mom before cutting
I use rapid rooters
As far as spraying cutting
under dome
Spray 2 x’s a day 1st 3 days open 1 vents 1/4 way only
Day 4. Throu 6 1 x’s daily open I small vent all the way
From then on spray dome from time to time every few days or if the clone doesn’t look well

After say day 8 if healthy remove dome if they don’t Droop all good if they get droopy replace dome and spray

3 Likes

We have different ideologies. I cut place no lotion or powder no dome and ready to go :+1:

3 Likes

Sometimes I don’t even cut, much less any of the rest. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve got a Blueberry that needs to be planted today because it’s got roots longer than my arm; that one just got accidentally ripped off the plant while caging it, left on the grow room floor for 10-20 minutes and stepped on once or twice before I noticed, rinsed it off and stuck it in the cloner. I do spray them with kelp twice a week while I’m spraying all the other plants.

1 Like

I have read in multiple places that constant spraying leads to longer rooting times as they plant starts taking in all of the water it needs via the leaves.
I would think that forcing the plant to grow roots might also be a stressor.
Dunno. Would be interesting to test that out, but given that almost everyone has great success anyway, whether using a cloner or via direct planting, it’s probably not worth the time and effort.

Thanks for chiming in…

Lob

1 Like

Here are my six cuttings, after spending a week in the fridge, in my handy humidity dome/storage container, sitting on a seed heat pad.

Plenty of humidity in the container, I haven’t sprayed the plants since I put them in on Thursday. I put an inch of water with a very weak dose of food in it, so the bottom of the cups have some yumyums for the roots.

Lob

Hi @Lobstah,
I suggest ditching that heating pad. My experience is that unless your room is abnormally cold it won’t help with root development and can be detrimental. At a minimum, put a towel between pad and tray to avoid cooking your cuts.

-Grouchy
PS, spray the cuts for the first day or two, spray the dome for the first week, then make them stretch down to find the water.