Tom's corner, a traveller's journey

Some sexing finally on going since I cleared the flower side. With more light, the seedplants are starting to show some sex parts :slight_smile:

One male, one female and the last GT is still undecided!
I will wait a couple more days as it will be easier down the road if I don’t have any male to remove mid flower!

Cheers

3 Likes

Hi OG!

After being neglected for a while, eventually the last Golden Tiger did show his sex: It is a male!
Female-wise I will have one pair of clones of Golden Tiger ( GT2 x2), two pairs of Zamaldelica (ZD1 x2 & ZD3 x2) and a few fillers. One of those is a clone of the last run(SKZ2), and the two last ones (US1 x2) are from a bagseed I brought back, sexed, cloned multiples times, kept in the fridge a month while away and never flowered so it is time to see if it was worth it!

They all have been transplanted in the flower cabinet, I will hand water a couple of times before installing the blumats.

This time I will not let any veg time, they will start with a 12/12h lightning schedule that I will reduce later, I am curious how they will react. They have been in the dark since the transplant yesterday, tonight will be the begining of the show!

Cheers!

6 Likes

Hi OG!

Nearly a week after transplant and light switch!
Not much to report, the clones seems to have adapted to their new place!

I am just a bit worried about the bagseed one, I am pretty sure I considered it “sexed” as female after showing pre-flowers when I did put under 12/12 for a few days. It was last year, since that I kept a mom until I could add it to a flower run, and now I am seeing weird preflowers. Hopefully they will not turn into boys because now it is to late to replace them … Let’s wait some bigger sex.signs to see better!

Cheers

7 Likes

Things are starting to accelerate a little bit, the clones are expanding their roots : I can see some new ones reaching the side of the tote

They all seems to be starting their strech:

They just had their IPM spray. I have a recurrent issue with thrips, I managed to keep their number low by spraying a mix of potassium soap, nettle and horsetail extracts during the veg and early flower steps so they have little effect on global result but I can’t get rid of them completely. Last year I started to use swirskii predator mites, but I am afraid to order again this year: I fear that the postal delay will kill them all. The results were looking quite positive, but anyway after a while the thrips are back :frowning:

The sexing issue of the bagseed seems to be resolved: the two clones are now showing female attributes! I will now check them regularly for intersex signs…

A quick spoiler: here is the Zamaldelica #3 mother flowering under 18h of light.

The clones I took earlier rooted without issue, the just start pushing pistils since day1
It is the first time I experience such autoflowering behavior, does somebody have experience with it? Does it have any influence on flowering time?

Cheers

6 Likes

Hi @ShiskaberrySavior, I finished to dry and trim the last harvest so here are my notes:

Regarding the grow itself: out of six plants, four showed early intersex signs (male flower on lower nodes) that I removed.
All three strains ( Cannarado/Nilla Wafer & Cookie Dough Sundae and The Plug/Lots Of ZkittleZ) did show balls on at least one plant.
I saw a few seeds while trimming and testing but it is still mostly sinsemilla beside one bud really pollinated.
One of the Cookie Dough Sundae was starting to push full male flowers (not bananas) at the end of W9, I found about a dozen of them during harvest/trimming but again no incidence because they were cut just in time.
9 or 10 weeks seems to be correct for CDS and LoZ but NW should go a least one more week.

As I was aware of the possible intersex issue when choosing a GSC forum cut cross, overall I am quite happy with the results : they produced what I was looking for!

The NW and CDS produce some nice dense flowers with purple shades, easy to trim. The smell and taste is also what I was expecting: smooth/creamy with sweet dough flavor for the NW and more gassy for the CDS. One of the LoZ is very attractive with a tart fruit candy flavor, the other one is more bland. The effects are what I call hybrid: no crazy Sativa rush not couchlock Indica just a relaxing high.

NW2 and LoZ2 seems to be the winner of this round but I will try to run all them again, I am just not sure I will keep the CDS with the late male flowers to run again.

Here is the winner of this round:

In conclusion I am quite happy with the results but those hype/un-stabilized cross should all be coming with a disclaimer about those issues or breeders should start working lines .

6 Likes

Hi OG!

After leaving the clones to acclimate themselves for nearly two weeks, I switched on the side bars (140->260W) and I will start reducing the day time: first 11 ON /13 OFF.
The single cola clones ZD1,GT3 and the lanky LoZ2 one are starting really to stretch, whereas the multi top one, US1 and the “auto flowering” zamaldelica ZD3 are getting wider …

Next step in a few days will be to set the blumat drippers!

Cheers

5 Likes

Hi OG!

The stretch is real!
ZD1 and GT3 are in full strech mode, I measured up to 8cm vertical growth in 24h !
There will be no homogeneous canopy this run :slight_smile:
I was thinking of letting all of them grow without messing with them but at this speed I may run out of headroom and have to do some training soon!

I am surprised by the ZD3: autoflowering in veg, not much stretch, very bushy bottom, it is really not the Zamaldelica pheno I am used to.

The next week is going to be interesting!

6 Likes

Hi OG!

The veg side is getting overcrowded!
Being in the exhaust path of my flower cabinet where the temperature is over 30c most of the time, it is becoming a jungle which needs daily watering :frowning:
I am just finishing to root a new round of clones to replace the ones saved from last run. The one I took last round after the flip did reveg so the new ones should be easier to train into bonsais.

It is a hot mess I need to sort!
I still have a homemade seeds I want to test, they germinated a few months ago and I need to sex them
I could not resign to discard the two Golden Tiger males I have and the ZD3 seed plant still doing it’s stuff:

As soon as the roots of the new clones will hit the bottom of the pot I will recycle the moms and send the one to sex and the males in the flower cabinet.

I am still undecided about the faith of the autoflowering Zamaldelica:
I thought about pollinating her in the veg cabinet but so far from what I see in flower it is not really the kind of genes I want to keep so I may just keep it in veg and compare the way she flowers to the ones with shorter days in the flower cabinet.
Anybody have experience with such behavior?

Cheers

6 Likes

Hi OG!
I did work a little bit on the flower side this weekend:

I installed the blumat drippers.
Since I started to follow a few simple advices, I nearly have no runoff issue:

-remove all the air inside by filling them underwater
-set the drippers 8cm away from the “carrot”/sensor
-let them soak a while before setting them up
-try to avoid any porous material around the carrot by packing some Coco rich substrate around the carrot

I also started to train the taller plants so I don’t hit the roof later:

Cheers

7 Likes

Really nice setup, great work!

3 Likes

Hi OG!

We are going through a little heatwave at the moment so the temperature is a bit higher than I like: day and night it is now between 30 and 32c but without AC I can’t control it!
The plants are drinking 3L a day but humidity doesn’t go really higher than 50%… it’s a summer grow!
The plants seems to handle it well, just a little bit disappointed about my bagseed which did throw a few male flowers in the lower node flowers. I did not kill them but I watch them very carefully now.

All of them but ZD3 seem to have finished the main part of the stretch, ZD3 is still doing it’s thing, not really stretching, not really slowing down either!

And the veg cabinet is now less crowded, I am trying to root some cuttings of ZD1 and GT3.
I still have two Golden Tiger males I want to put in the flower can to collect some pollen but the heat is slowing me down too!

Now that I have space in veg and flowering is under cruise control I am itching to sow some more seeds but I fear it might be a little bit to hot… Not the right time:(

Cheers

6 Likes

Hi OG!

nature abhors a vacuum… And so do I!
The temperature did drop a little bit, tonight is the new moon , and seeds are from the tropics! Not much work to convince myself to sow a few seeds to fill in the veg cabinet.

I always wondered why there is not more Ghanean genetics around? I have seen quite a few Nigerian strains, some from Senegal, Congo… but nothing from Ghana beside CBG offering.

I haven’t been impressed if not disappointed by what I found in most of the central/west Africa countries I have been to :frowning:
I wish I could go more exploring the countryside but most of my experience is limited to the main cities, and the canna part is more about twigs, seeds and leaves than nice flavorful buds.
A common point was hearing people raving about Ghana weed when I was complaining about the local one so you can understand how curious I was before going to Accra. I have not been disappointed at all!
There is quite a big Rasta culture in Ghana, weed is easily available … It was kind of what I was expecting!
I liked what I found: spicy taste and uplifting from what I remember. I liked it enough to keep some seeds from what I scored.

I gave some to friends but I doubt they ever grew it. I grew some during an outdoor winter run to check the germination and they were looking like the ones from CBG: fast and foxtaily but they did not mature completely before starting to reveg so I had to cut them.

They are now 8 years old, I have only 8 left but they were stored in the fridge so I hope to have a good germination rate. The plan is to document the plants, and if everything goes as I wish make some seeds for anybody who wants them.
It is my time to give back: after lurking/learning, I hope now I can share something which looks special to me!

After a day in a cup of water I dropped the 8 seeds directly in the soil…

See you in a week :wink:

5 Likes

won’t be long now…gj tom. Looks like you have everything under control and plants all look happy. Finish strong!!!

1 Like

Hello Overgrow!

So far things are going as smoothly as possible.
In the veg side the last cuttings are rooted, 3 Ghana seeds broke the ground after 4/5 days, I hope to have at least a couple more…

In the flower cabinet not much to do, just fill in the tank and relax:

Zamaldelica #1 is starting to dominate:

ZD#3 seems to have stopped his stretch but not much is happening compared to ZD#1:

The two males are starting to flower. I will use the short one for sure but I am not yet sure about the stretchy one. I think I will give a try to pollinate one of each cuttings I have from ZD1 and GT3.
I like the idea of taking a cutting in flower, root it, pollinate it and eventually try to reveg it while making seeds. It would be a good way for me to make small batches of seeds without pollinating inside the flower cabinet.

In a few days I should have the final count after germination for the Ghana seeds…

Cheers.

6 Likes

Hi OG!

Germination report isn’t what I hoped: a fourth one came out of the ground but now , nothing new for 3 days and only four out of eight :frowning:

And one of them is not really opening its cotyledons

Anyway, let’s grow them, hopefully I have the good ones because there won’t be much selection!

I still keep the four last seeds warm but I have not much hope anymore.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi OG!

Not much changes for the last days:
I have 4 Ghana seedlings and still no sign of activity in the remaining pots. That will be the final count…
One of the four is slower because the cotyledons refusing to open. Because of the small numbers of seeds I decided give a little hand to force them to open.

The flower cab is doing well, the hybrids are starting to swell, the sativas are evolving at a different pace as expected.

I had to start supporting ZD3, she has the thinnest branches I have ever seen at this stage. I have never had a plant like this, I am curious to see how she will evolve later in flower.

I will soon reduce day time by one hour to 10/14.
Good night!!!

Cheers

4 Likes

Hey OG,

Things are evolving slowly, the Ghana project is down to three good seedlings and a runt.

GH2 is still really slow but I will keep it a little bit more to see if it grows out of it.

In the flower cab, one of the main cola already flopped over, they are slowly fattening but also still growing up, I move the lights up a few centimeters every few days.

The Golden Tigers :

Zamaldelica 1 &3:

Not much else to report, I am doing nothing but putting water into the tank !

Take care !

6 Likes

Hi OG!

The Ghana seedlings are growing slowly, so far they look kind of uniform but staggered:

The cuttings I took from ZD1 and GT3 early in flower are now starting to reveg:

The pollination test I did a couple weeks ago will fruit a couple of seeds. I brushed one of each cuttings while they were rooted and revegging for two weeks already.

I was waiting for the pollen so it was a little bit late, lots of pistils did shrink before pollen application: I guess I could have got more if done earlier.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Hi OG!
This is now the beginning of week 9 since transplant/flip!

The Zamaldelica ZD1 could be dubbed the octopus cut! It is now flopping all over the net:

The three hybrids in the front row should be ready in a week or two. The Zamaldelica and Golden Tiger are starting lose some leaves, but they will need longer.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Hi OG!

Quick update about the Ghana project:
The tallest already reached the LED panel

I started to top dress a bit of guano and a mix of organic inputs as they start to show some signs of deficiencies:

I am still waiting for the late one to grow big enough to be topped and I will top all of them, root the apex and sex them.
I did defoliate a little bit the tallest one in an effort to slow it down.

A couple more weeks and this project should hit another milestone!

Cheers

5 Likes