Too many flavors - ice cream & weed comparison

Well, well, I have recently concluded that for my own personal consumption, I will be confining my future grows to mostly the older strains which I think are largely overlooked by the majority of contemporary growers.

My last grow consisted of three strains from FDM seeds. C-99, Sweet Tooth #4 and Ortega Mix.

I was really pleasantly surprised by how very much I enjoy all three.

The C-99 tastes great and provides me with a delightful, long lasting motivational buzz.

The single Ortega plant produced some potent, acrid flowers which have a unique taste and intense, well balanced high. I will be buying some of the straight FDM Ortega soon.

Now the Sweet Tooth #4 is my favorite of the three. The remarkably sweet aroma is most enticing, although the smoke is not quite as sweet as the flowers, but the overall taste is great, and the high is the best body buzz I have experienced in decades, Sublimely potent to me, and I smoke this strain mostly in the late evenings because after a couple of hours, deep sleep becomes inevitable.

As I mentioned above this last grow reinforced my hunch that I may very well be best served by sticking to the foundational strains in order to maximize my enjoyment going forward.

Overall, this grow was the most satisfying crop of the new, still young century for me.

11 Likes
1 Like

Can we still do both? Running a few Pineapple Skunk at the moment!:flushed: Lol

4 Likes

I have tried out so many modern strains and looking back through the last couple of years I’ve been growing, there is a lot of sameness and a few standouts.

That’s why I’ve started concentrating on landraces. I’ll keep a couple of hybrids running all the time, but plan to run many landrace females to find something different.

6 Likes

I can get behind this!

1 Like

And I can get behind the bumper sticker! Or rather in front of one!

The one I remember best was ice cream from paradise seed group

On the first hit an overwhelming taste of vanilla ice cream it was amazing

Now that was 20 years ago but I still remember it was a great high and an amazing taste

1 Like

flavor chasing…i run 8 to 10 strains a run. i love variety. not every plant is great. sometimes just being different is good enough. i generally don’t smoke two bowls in a row of the same stuff scaling from sativa land race in the early day to full indica by bed time. when i used to make long range dispo trips i would come back with about 40 strains. my grow is a replacement for that.

5 Likes

exactly… flavor chasing I am certainly guilty of LOL At the same time I enjoy hunting through the vast array of beans availlable today. I try and make well educated decisions on the breeders and strains I aquire. My true mission in the garden is to find plants that taste fantastic and improve my quality if life… the latter is a “must”. So whether it is nerve pain relief, anti inflamitory , appetite increaser, mood enhancer, get up and get shit done effect or it puts me to sleep… It’s always a grand experiment in satisfying those needs in my life.
I don’t mind all the variety out there, one just has to be a bit choosey.
There are many modern day polyhybrids that knock my socks off just like “back in the day”.
I am also into popping beans with nostalgia and some age to them… what I like to call the pre -chem/diesel/sour/cookies ect ect. I always dedicate a portion of my plant count to hunting through and seed increasing older beans with some pedigree behind them. For the past while it has been going thru seeds sent to me by the inheritor of the late Classic Seeds. Something that breeder Genus Seeds is also doing in reproducing some of Classics noteworthy creations.
Fun times… and I’m havin a ball :wink:

7 Likes