TopShelfs trees (Part 1)

Thank you brother, I appreciate you, had a bad couple days but I realized I gotta stay optimistic for him. Can’t give up as I’m all he’s got really. Just harder as days go on, but I can’t let it bring me down anymore. I worked hard to get where I am…. I’m holding onto it as long as humanly possible and same to you, have an awesome, zero stress day yourself @crownpoodle :facepunch:t2:

5 Likes

Fresh out of high school I worked for live nation for 7 years. I started as In house Hospitality/ Production Assistant. The first couple years were fun and new. As time went on and during training to become a production manager, I realized it wasn’t for me. Now that I’m older I can notice my hearing isn’t tip top probably because of the hundreds of shows and don’t have the urge to go see a show.

The worst show for the ears had to be Bassnectar’s Tour which was marketed as the Loudest show on the Earth at the time. I remember just after the show started, I went outside and took the golf cart to go smokie a joint in the parking lot and all the cars license plates were just rattling from all the bass. It was insane. Literally homes were rattling around the venue, Started a long noise ordinance battle with the town too.

The 4-5 day stretches of back to back shows were tough. I couldn’t imagine a full tour. Everyone on tour have to dig deep to get through even the smaller legged ones.

Ill end this long post with a quote from Hunter S. Thompson that was hanging in the Production office.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There’s also a negative side.”

6 Likes

Lol. I feel the same way about that time I was locked up and played spades for a living. Fuck that game.

4 Likes

We definitely lived similar lives in our earlier years. I actually co owned a production business out here and we brought musicians to venues in Ontario mostly Toronto, Hamilton , Niagara and st.Catharine’s. We put on a huge show in Hamilton called the cookout big food/hip hop show over a few days, was epic! We also put on the most packed show for a venue in the Niagara Region ever when we brought cypress hill they had to close down streets in a 6 blocks radius around the show! Me B-Real and Sendog were walking the St.Catharines streets handing out flyers and joints! Was epic! And a day/night I’ll never forget. I made Life long friends with many legends like Sean Price RIP, (he is/was my brother always) Classified, Vinnie Paz, Ill Bill, Nems, Onyx, Jada mostly but the whole lox, Schoolboy Q, and Mobb Deep among a few others. Those are the days I cherish it was a 9-10 year period that felt like I was on a cloud the entire time and I miss every single day. Sadly drugs can ruin so much including an epic business partnership and turn best friends into absolutel enemies. (REST IN PARADISE MY BROTHER :cry:) learned a lot including just how ruthless and criminal that industry really is. Be cool to sit down and shoot the shit one day I bet we both have epic tales

5 Likes

Why is it that spades is the game of the incarcerated? That and throwing bones (dice) hey we got nothing!? Let’s gamble it away!? :man_facepalming:t2: helluva way to increase your food stash to bulk up though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Or starve…

4 Likes

I have a new HLG Blackbird with the HLG UVA 30 bar. I’m chompin at the bit to try out. Maybe next winter.

2 Likes

Next winter? I’ll make sure it works until then.

3 Likes

Gambling while incarcerated is also a way to end up “giving away” more than some ramen noodles.

3 Likes

I will also run quality control until the winter for you, no problemo :wink: make sure all the issues are dealt with before u need her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Definitely could be, I tended to have a damn stockpile of chocolate bars, cookies , fruit cups etc. The day I got out it was like Christmas for my celly and guys I considered friends. Only thing I walked out with was a picture, even left my Jordan’s . Never looked back

4 Likes

If you build it, he will come…

The people who went probably still talk about it. Thats an epic event to put on. I know the backend work to put those on and it ain’t easy one bit. Got to be a everything man. Those brutal long emails back n forth when a phone call would get it down in 15 seconds. Ahhh lol

Thats a crazy special way to market the event walking the streets with the artist and telling people them about it. I bet everyone you talked to went.
Those memories will last forever.

I’d be up for it, smoke a couple joints and share some tales.
Ill share one experience now. Tony Bennett was touring with Lady gaga at the time. After the show it was a quick out and typically the headliners head go right out to limos and head to the hotels.
As Mr. Bennett headed out, he stopped in our office and gave us a handshake and big thank you for everything. We were all shocked at his genuine thankfulness. Later found out he personally went up to all the crew members to thank them as well. He’s a class act and only one who I can remember who did such a thing.

I’m sorry to hear about your friends and the falling out with your business partner before he passed. Too many gone to soon.

3 Likes

That’s a stand up guy, and how the industry once was I’ve been told, now they treat everyone like crap, freak out for the wrong brand/flavour etc. I always got them bud and whatever they drank and I had people bitch about the QP in separate one zip bags they were given because he hates smoking the same shit twice in one day…… lol a free QP of absolute fire all around, some hash , glass tips, papers, pipe etc. and bitched it wasn’t enough, and this guy was an opener for Snak the ripper ! Well Snak set him straight when he heard, boy did he set him straight! I’ll always remember “you ungrateful f!?& FINE ITS MINE NOW, NOW IVE GOT A HALF POUND OF FIRE AND DONT ASK ME FOR A SINGLE NUG, PUNK ASS BITCH!” Once he walked out (the opener) it was a collective “PFFFFFT bahahaha Snak that was epic OMG” greedy prick , wish people would give me a QP and hash plus payment for a 3 song set to open up! 15mins max! :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Yea very different back then. Big corporation cleaned up shop real quick. You know the pain then, fuck those riders haha. I used to get everything on them then just started getting what I felt like it since 90% is wasted as the artist are in the building for only 4 hrs at most. Catering in house too 10 ft away from dressing rooms.

Loved when the openers complained. You’re lucky you get a case of water, chips n salsa and either a one bottle or a case of beer. Like you said for a 10min set and they’d want 5 bottles gtfo :joy:
A QP, hash and payment wtf. You were rolling out the red carpets haha.
I bet the thankful ones really appreciated it and you were willing to have them back.

Thats a great story. Egos run rampant if left unchecked. Probably was the openers last show too. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m the same vein, D list TV celebrities are always huge dicks while A-listers tend to be much more human.

2 Likes

It 100% was, he sucked anyway tbch , what a prick !

2 Likes

Motorbreath # 15 throwing down hard still these things are hardballs! :baseball:

23 Likes

CDLC right. BBW left.

18 Likes

Great story & the HST quote was a cherry on top :100:

5 Likes

That quote is great. I’m gonna co-opt it for construction.

4 Likes