TopShelfs trees (Part 4)

This may have been where I heard the name in fact, I think someone told me about this episode :thinking:

4 Likes

That hagfish episode in Maine really turned my stomach.
The natives along the Yukon - Kuskokwim river area also harvest sea lampreys that go up the river to spawn.

5 Likes

Don’t throw stone (silly fishermen) but do you guys like gold panning as well? I see you mention AK a few times. Another hobby that kept me at the river without fishing.

7 Likes

I don’t personally, because I’ve seen what gold fever will do to a man. :sweat_smile:

It’s definately a thing here.

5 Likes

Yup! Those slimy ones? The otehr one were those eels with teeth? those are just mean lookin’

3 Likes

I’m obsessed with the shows! Have been since the first one out there in Alaska I think it was 25-30 years ago, before gold rush even .

5 Likes

That’s badass! I wouldn’t even know where to start , other than Alaska…. But I love that stuff. Nice!

4 Likes

Work work work work work. I’ll be done with this big ass job by the end of this week, with nothing on the horizon and I love it. I’m gonna work on finishing up this old trap house.

4 Likes

That was from Kern river in Ca. I’ve got a few good “cleanups” if you would, from all around Southern Ca. It’s definitely a skill you learn over time and not at all like the shows. Sometimes you go home skunked and sometimes it’ll pay for gas. Sadly the sluice has been collecting dust since I left cali.

Was the show you’re talking about also called Gold Rush? It was on Outdoors channel right before or after… Bill Dance?

5 Likes

I worked with an electrician that had a sweet rig.
He would vacuum up the sand and run it through a sluice.
He told me he made about 200k a year from his hobby.

3 Likes

There’s geoducks here, but I’ve never seen one that size. Chowder for a small army with just one.

4 Likes

Dude, Kern River!
That’s where I’m from originally. :grin:

5 Likes

Hell yeah! We used to fish the kern all the time, as well as bishop. even Lake Elizibeth for crappie. Small world

4 Likes

Yeppers born and raised around Bakersfield.
I caught many bass and crappie in Lake Isabella, first rainbow in the Kern River.
We also fished Lake Success,
Nacimiento and smaller reservoirs.

5 Likes

There’s a sign heading up along the Kern towards Lake Isabella. The raft that a lot. Sign lists drowning fatalities. It changes EVERY year. Never goes down? Hmmm. Lifejackets might help. Kinda like seatbelts.

5 Likes

Yep, it used to be in the hundreds going back to the 60’s.
My dad said it was from all the idiots from L.A.
No offence to the good folks in LA :grinning:
Merle Haggard even made a song about it.

4 Likes

yeah! Isabella, not Elizabeth. Sadly no, the sign does not go down :frowning:

Speaking of good eating though. Crappie is tasty! I like it more than trout tbh

3 Likes

My wife looked into getting me a trip to Alaska for my big 50th but it was crazy expensive I think like 15 grand minimum each. I would sure love to do a road trip there, I would have to hit every Creek and stream I drove by It would take me months to get down the road.

4 Likes

If it helps my anxiety is through the roof today so you’re not alone. :man_shrugging:

Car repairs estimated near 6K just for the exhaust… the other things found would tack on enough that it was gonna be close to a 9-10k bill in parts and labour… :man_facepalming:

So, luck has it that there was a used 2017 Nissan Micra S with just over 62,000 (km) under it’s hood that fit all our needs for a little more investment than what the patchwork would have cost us.

All in all I now signed “my life away” and will be making payments again for a while so we are moving again…

But since this is my first “Automatic Transmission” car, it now means that Mrs. P is gonna learn how to drive so I don’t have to be the only driver anymore!

Donations welcome. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I can’t believe I have never heard of that before. Looks pretty crazy, not sure I would eat it

4 Likes