Trihalomethanes harmful to plant?

Got a notice from the water department about trihalomethane contamination and was wondering if its harmful to plants. Water comes out the tap pretty clean. 150ppm out of the kitchen sink tap 44ppm out of the bathtub faucet (weird I know)

2 Likes

Just be aware that cannabis is a bioaccumulator. It will accumulate toxins in the plant material, so it could potentially uptake the trihalomethanes and store them in the leaf tissue. Cannabis has been used to remediate radiation contaminates areas in the past.

3 Likes

Well, guess I’ll be going back to the RO water then.

Trihalomethane

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Trihalomethanes (THMs) are chemical compounds in which three of the four hydrogen atoms of methane (CH4) are replaced by halogen atoms. Many trihalomethanes find uses in industry as solvents or refrigerants. THMs are also environmental pollutants, and many are considered carcinogenic. Trihalomethanes with all the same halogen atoms are called haloforms. Several of these are easy to prepare through the haloform reaction.[citation needed]

Trihalomethanes were the subject of the first drinking water regulations issued after passage of the U.S. Safe Drinking Water Act in 1974.[1]

2 Likes

He’ll next think yaknow meth heads a crystal cookers with be trying to figure out how to process their tap water …

Peace and stay safe

Ok, so I’m no scientist(political science doesn’t count :sweat_smile:) but if it’s a byproduct of chlorination it would be a thing in most sterile setups? So I should be good?

1 Like

Haha, I’m no expert but isn’t meth made like ethyl alcohol? With yeasts…methyl alcohol.

I have no idea either I’m all mother nature

Peace and stay safe

Yes THMs are a byproduct of chlorination. They are considered potentially carcinogenic. Many constituents in water have a MAC
Maximum Acceptable Concentration.
I would worry more about those things ie lead arsenic etc… the chlorine is a necessity part of water treatment.

Not even close.

Specifically says it doesn’t bio-accumulate in fish or plants here: https://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/files/trihalomfaq.pdf

@EugeneDebs420 It’s fine, don’t sweat it. If they can handle small amounts of chlorine, they can handle small amounts of its byproducts.

Lotta worry-worts on here ready to tell you the sky is falling.

2 Likes

unfornately it doesnt always work like that with chemicals, like hydrogen peroxide for example is h2o2 one more oxygen molecule then water, one more oxygen hmm then it should be air water, but bad to drink

Just on a side note, have you tried letting the tap water sit a little bit before testing it? I have seen the numbers change as the water stands, probably due to air in the water from the aerator in the faucet head.

2 Likes

The hardness of the water wouldn’t be affected by location ie kitchen/ washroom.
To take a representational sample draw a cold water sample after letting the faucet run a few minutes. If you sample the water in lines of your house you’ll see fluctuations. Hot water in the lines being detained in copper lines is the culprit.
You can’t soften water by letting it sit.

Thms have nothing to do with hardness and more to do with detention time and chlorine concentration.

1 Like