Trinity's First Grow - Organic Lemon Ice

Those leaves are still wilting on one of the plants. The other one perked up after I misted and watered them, but still no improvement on the big leggy girl. It’s not gotten worse either, but I have been misting a couple times a day, I’ve watered her and will be feeding her again later today I reckon.

Any other thoughts as to what it could be, or how to better approach this?

EDIT: I should mention that as she has quite a few colas, and my training is at rookie level, she’s got one or two much closer to the light that definitely aren’t wilting! It’s just the ones at that back corner that, despite being part of the same plant, have a few wilty leaves.

Tx

1 Like

Anyways, we all know everybody likes pictures more than wordy posts :slight_smile:

There’s a new camera in the house… (so white balance is actually an option!)

Here are the girls today, day 21 of 12/12.

Tx

12 Likes

…and a group shot for good measure :hugging:

(note wilting leaves on right hand side towards back corner)

Tx

10 Likes

Day 34 of flower

I’ve been out of town for a little while, so my housemates have been looking after them. They’ve slowly stretched upwards, leaving one of Roberta’s colas too close to the light (you can see some heat damage to the cola back right of the above pic), so I snipped the netting away from her and rotated her round so the tall guy is nearer the edge and the light’s not too close to anything (it’s about as high as I can get it, since the carbon filter gets in the way of it going right to the top of the cab - going to rip out and refit everything after this grow).

They’re really starting to fill out, and beginning to get frosty too!

Think it might be worth getting a bit more aggressive with defoliating, although we are keeping an eye on congested areas with airflow in mind always.

Tx

10 Likes

In case anybody’s interested, the clones in the wardrobe are getting on just fine. Timing might be an issue, as I feel they’ll outgrow the wardrobe before I can get them into the flowering cab post-harvest/drying of the current crop. Gonna top them a couple of times at least in an effort to stunt them. Worst case we end up with a mother or two (gives me an excuse to try and make a bonzai mother!) and pop the Guava Hashplant x C99 seeds that @paintedfire420 generously sent me.

Tx

8 Likes

Day 36 of flower

Group shot of some tasty colas. I swear they’re getting bigger by the day :yum:

Natalie’s furthest cola in the corner by the door. I love how much her leaves have turned to face the light.

Little bit of nutrient burn showing on a couple of them. I did just give them their heaviest feed, but still in keeping with the BioBizz schedule. It jumps the TopMax dosage from 1mlpl to 4, which is what I’ve added to their last feed. Burn looks minor, I’m not too worried. Maybe drop the dosage back down a touch next round.

In other news, I noticed some white/grey mould on the surface of the soil of most of the pots. I guess this developed while I was away. I scooped it all away to the bin, and dusted the top soil with cinnamon powder as a natural fungicide. I did this after feeding them all. Humidity is proving hard to keep below 65%, and I’m getting highs of nearly 80%, so I think a little dehumidifier should help. I’ve put a bowl of Coffee Mate down in there in the mean time, it’s meant to be a decent budget diy dehumidifier, so I thought it’s worth a try for the price. Not holding my breath for a miracle haha.

I’m keeping the defoliation steady but conservative, but have chopped off quite a few of the smaller twiggy branches with the beginnings of popcorn buds, and removed several leaves to keep airflow good between them all. Next time it’s four in that box, six is a bit crowded.

You can see the heat burnt cola below. Since being moved away from the light, it seems to be chugging along with the rest of them, but definitely isn’t the thickest.

Tx

10 Likes

Sorry I’ve fallen off with the updates. Here’s a nice big one to make up for it.

Day 42 of flower

Group shot. They’re all getting on nicely. There’s some burn on a few leaves at the back, but it looks like it’s from the light not from the nutes. I can’t move the light, and I can’t really get them any further away from it. I don’t like the idea of flopping them over at this stage in flower, so I think I’ve got to live with it. It’s not major, and the buds around it are looking like some of the best.

Natalie’s looking good, putting weight on.

Trinity (rear three colas) & some of Margo (front two colas)

…aaaaand Roberta’s tallest two (and a shorter third one bottom left), heat damaged on the right. She has six main colas thanks to her weird split in veg, so none are as thick as the others, but they’re tall and covered in bud. Hopefully it’s got some substance to it, as she’s one that I cloned. Reckon if I strip their lesser branches more ruthlessly in late veg/early flower, I could focus energy into some tall, thick colas. Either way I’m hoping the stretchier fenotype leans towards the sativa lemon haze genes in more than growth characteristics, but also in effect :yum:

I’ve done quite a lot of defoliating below the canopy over the course of the flowering period. Humidity has been a problem, but between thinning the girls out, rotating them for better position and getting a little dehumidifier and two bowls of Coffee Mate in there, I’ve managed to keep it down during the day to lows of around 35%. I’m still hitting highs at night varying from 60-72% depending on the weather, but my air circulation’s improved with a second clip fan below the canopy, so I’m not too worried about mould anymore.

They’ve had six weeks of 12/12, and are listed as an eight week strain. I’m really happy with how they’re getting on, but I’m still hoping they thicken up some more!

They’ve been on their strongest feed of 4mlpl of all three nutes (BioGrow, BioBloom & TopMax) for the last week or so. Now we’re looking at the last two weeks, I plan to feed increasingly weaker mixes for the next two feeds (over the next four days or so) then give plain water for the last 9-10 days of the eight weeks. If they need to be taken on any longer to ripen, I’ll just keep them on water until a few days before chopping.

How does that sound for a plan?

Tx

13 Likes

Oh I forgot to mention, I cut the net away from all of them, as my training was pretty poor, and things were getting needlessly congested in places. So where I’ve needed a bit of extra support, or to hold a cola in place in a gap in the canopy, I’ve just used zip ties. They’re great, because you can adjust them so gradually to get things where you want them

Tx

7 Likes

They look awesome. Good trick with the zip ties, I might have to steal that lol.

I wouldn’t sweat the closeness to the light, I’m a light hog myself and almost always end up with a bit of burn. I figure the ones off to the side are better off for it. A clip fan between the canopy and light helps alot too (didn’t see if you have one or not)

Also, keep in mind that every breeder says every strain is 8 weeks or less lol. Sometimes they actually are, but often times its more like 9 or so to optimal ripeness.

Your flushing plan sounds good!

6 Likes

I agree 100%. More often than not when they say 8 weeks they actually take 9 for me and I tend to chop a little on the early side, minimal amber. True 8 week strains are somewhat rare ime.

6 Likes

Uhh my personal opinion @trinity I’d not start flushing yet. I would see where they’re at in the 14 days just because those colas still seem quite skinny still and even though I will agree that they pack weight on quick by the end of their cycle you will want the fatness before the flush. She also has no amber to her at all yet and if you want the couch lock effect of fack this is blowing my mind into next Tuesday then you want amber triches or atleast hairs to show she’s mature for the plucking.

That said it is totally upto you what you want to do, in 14 days you might have loads of amber and they will be fatter but you’ve deffo got a lot more growth to go IMO.

4 Likes

Thanks @beacher! I’m a big fan of zip ties. Most problems can be solved with a hand full of those guys :slight_smile:
I have a couple of computer fans blowing down over the canopy above the lights (they’re just out of shot in the group pics), so I think between them and the clips down below, circulation is good :thumbsup:

That’s good to know on the flowering time. I’ll take it with a pinch of salt. I’m in no real rush, and would much rather have fat, dense buds of good quality smoke a week or two later than to rush it and end up with sub-standard weed.

Which ties into what @Explorer’s saying. I think we’ll treat them as nearer a nine week strain and give another week of nutes to really thicken out.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to have a look and give me some feedback. This is tricky decision time, and I want to get it right after all the hard work that’s got us to where we are now.

I knew you guys had my back :wink:

Tx

7 Likes

Zip ties and duct tape are invaluable items for us growers but FFS don’t buy both items together at the same time otherwise you get some strange looks :rofl:

9 Likes

Looks like I have pests, I think fungus gnats!! :angry:

Just watered two of the plants and I can see tiny tiny white worm-looking things float to the top with the feed. This is bad news. Any advise before I rush out and drop lots of cash!?

Tx

1 Like

They get even stranger when your best friend is next in line with a 3 foot pry bar and a box of heavy duty lawn bags…

1 Like

Damn, that sucks! Are they too small to get a pic of? Not sure how often you’re watering right now, but might be worth it to get some other opinions before jumping the gun. Just looked up fungus gnat larvae and everything I’m seeing looks more transparent than white

1 Like

They’re tiny, but the real issue is they’re gone back below before I can get a snap, and I just over-watered by accident trying to get them to the surface (just let it run off then changed out the tray for a dry one). Let me see if I can dig some up and get a snap. They seemed isolated to small areas in both pots, I think I caught it early.

Kinda silky white, could be kinda transparent, I’m not sure… I’ll try for a pic now

2 Likes

They’re probably in all of them, but I only needed to water two. It’s getting harder to judge weight now they’re heavier up top, but I’m trying not to overdo it and let them dry out a bit

That would be best. I’m no expert, but it may help others to identify what you’re dealing with. In any case, I’m sure I’ve seen some cheap options for dealing with them around the forum. Think I saw someone say make a tobacco tea with a pouch of chewing tobacco recently, but that one honestly scares the piss out of me. I’m sure some people who have dealt with them previously can give you advice.

Thanks @ChronicMcBudz. No luck with a snap, I can’t seem to dig any up and I really don’t want to be watering any of them right now! I’ll see what I can do, but I’m not holding my breath for a useful pic.

I’ve seen weak hydrogen peroxide solution recommended for killing larvae, and I’ve got plenty of that for keeping everything clean. I also have a bag of expanded clay pellets that I use for drainage. Could treat with H2O2 then cover all pots over with a couple inches of clay pellets…?

I’m grasping at straws a bit, I really don’t want neem in there this late in flower. Sprayed as a preventative right after going to 12/12, and the stink lingered for a while. I don’t want buds that taste like that crap, it’s horrible, haha!

1 Like