Trinity's First Grow - Organic Lemon Ice

Lol definitely understandable. Check through this thread: Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

300+ posts, but lots of ways to deal with em. Maybe also put up a sticky trap and see if you can capture a flyer. Should help with identification.

Edit: would hate for you to dump a bunch of money and frustration only to find they’re something benign

1 Like

Wow that are really stunning amazing healthy and happy plants dear one! <3 Congrats!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, I have that thread open in the next tab over!

There was one fly who exited the cab when I was watering this morning :rolling_eyes: It was small and black and I squished it into the carpet with my foot. Hard to identify on my sock unfortunately, haha. Otherwise the only sign is what I saw float to the top. Guess that little bastard must have got in while I was watering/taking pictures.

And thanks, I appreciate the advise, but I’d rather be sure and kill em all early just in case. Any money I spend keeping these girls at their best I think will be worth it for my peace of mind and for my bud jar come harvest time.

Tx

2 Likes

Thanks @AUM, good vibes back at you and your beauties. Been keeping an eye on them, and I love the look of them all, lovely mix of strains.

Tx

1 Like

David Cronenberg was trying to teach us something…

Yeah I noticed that you liked my pics so I had to take a look at your ladies… :wink:

Thank you as well trinity, like the name and the movie :wink:

Yeah, Maria Johanna plants are wonderful and there are so many varieties :heart:

2 Likes

Right, so I’ve tried to treat all plants for fungus gnat larvae.

I give them all a gentle watering with dilute H2O2, just enough to cover the whole surface of each pot. They all fizzed up a bit. The larvae should be dead from the H2O2, but no doubt there’ll be survivors. Soooo, once they’d finished fizzing and calmed down, I covered them all with a thin layer of diatomaceous earth.

I’ve also put up a load of sticky traps. If I’d put some up before, this could all have been avoided… Such an obvious one to overlook, I’m pretty pissed at myself!

Tx

2 Likes

Is that layer looking thick/thin enough? Just going off instruction to treat with a layer rather than a dusting…

Tx

2 Likes

Hey @trinity the main thing is keeping the DE dry. I would bottom water until the problem is gone since the larvae tend to stay in the first few inches closer to the surface. I use a mix of neem and peppermint soap as a preventative that works pretty well to stop them from laying after watering(something to consider after the larvae are dealt with). I also spray the entire plants (veg only) periodically throughout and one last soaking when I flo them.

3 Likes

Hey thanks @Undead-Toker

Hopefully that layer I’ve put on dries up OK. One or two of them will want feeding tomorrow I think, so I’ll try bottom feeding. That’ll definitely take a while longer than normal top feeding won’t it?

Tx

2 Likes

It’s pretty rare to see a soil grow without a few fungus gnats to be honest. I think between the h2o wash, the de and sticky traps you’ve done your due diligence. I wouldn’t worry much more about them, they’re not gonna decimate your crop in the next 2-3 weeks…

3 Likes

That’s really reassuring to hear, thank you. I know they’re not the end of the world, but I would rather not give them free reign to eat my roots. Those roots got buds to feed damnit. And I don’t want flies around of any sort, they’re gross.

1 Like

Maggies farm makes a organic spray its different mints n cinnimon. Works well. Tge essential oil ipm works well too if you start early.

1 Like

Oh ya they’re definitely gross. I’ve had them on and off many times over the years and to be honest I never did anything except water less…I don’t consider them a threat on the level of thrips, mites etc.

I’ve always just considered them a sign of overwatering.

2 Likes

Yeh maybe we’ve been a bit keen to feed, but we are waiting for them to drop in weight and separate from the pots around the edges. From now on, if I think they need watering, I’ll give them half a day minimum before checking again :thumbsup:

Tx

Well you would just fill the runoff trays until they stopped pulling it up It would take a little longer but will keep the soil top dry (for the DE) and with their short life cycle you’d only need to do it over the next few days.

2 Likes

Sounds great, I’ll try it tomorrow. Thanks!

1 Like

Oh, one other thing, you said about neem and peppermint soap spray, I have some neem oil that I sprayed the plants with at the start of flower as a preventative. I used some really mild soap to break it down into the water. I could make up that same mix again easily enough. Take it that’d work…?

However, I really don’t want the smell or taste of neem on my bud, that’s super important. I hate the stuff. Is there any risk if just spraying the soil?

1 Like

Yea I used that same mix for years using dish soap and just switched to the peppermint recently.

2 Likes

Hi trinity I recommend watering BTI (bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) into the root zone next time you have fungus gnats. It’s just a type of bacteria that kills the gnats in their larval stage and is completely harmless to the plants. 3 waterings with bti 72 hours apart and they are exterminated. They are very common and you are likely to have multiple run-ins with the little buggers in the future.

8 Likes