TropicalBiophile Indoor/Organic LED Growing

I guess I should show a bit of my current growing attempts, now indoors, with recycled organic soil (and the occasional fish hydrolisate touch, plus the water in which I soak my beans and other legumes), under PCB LED boards (QBs) and some CXB3590s.

Mostly Bodhi seeds… Goji OG left and right, middle bottom a freebie 707 headband (HSO), and top middle a Jabba´s stash. Each plant was trained a bit different (some topped, LSTd, a mainlining attempt, the 707 is a twin plant, etc.) and has an slightly different soil mix. Goji on the right looks like it could have used some more [calcium?] and had a bit of bud rot. I hive high humidity at night, but those dehumifiers are expensive to buy, ship and run.

An interestig thing of this LED run is that I barely had any stretch (kept the lights very close the whole run, between 6-10", at about 70% on a 2.1A driver wired in series). I could have easily managed twice the height, but alas that was not the case.

13 Likes

Keeping those lights in nice and tight during veg will minimize stretch. Just don’t want to burn.

For many, this is a good thing. I can see these plants have plenty of head room.

They will try to fill the space. Like that!

@TropicalBiophile moved to separate topic, added some tags - feel free to edit/rename your new thread.

Nice garden! :thumbsup:

1 Like

Haha, @LemonadeJoe, you sure run a tight ship around here! I was only planning to show a picture as part of my introduction. Now I´ll have to get a dumb camera to get material.

EDIT: No chat, message board. Aye aye captain!

2 Likes

:camera: Haha, sorry :slight_smile: Hopefully I’ve not caused much trouble :smiley:

You know, there is thin line to get off topic… Introduction topic is for quick gathering of new members at one place, not meant for photo galleries… And as you can see @99PerCent has already been referring to the details of your grow room. So it can quickly turn into mess when there are multiple threads concurrent in one topic. After all we are still message board, not chat :slight_smile: .

1 Like

@TropicalBiophile if this is you current grow, keep it going here ,It looks beautifull. Do some close ups on this girls, c’mon, we are bud perverts :imp:

2 Likes

Yeah that tent pic seems like a great starting point for a topic :slight_smile: I want to go there.

Very much looking forward to what you have to share in the future :grin:

2 Likes

Journal by peer pressure, I love it. :popcorn:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, @LemonadeJoe, @sk1, @oranje, @ReikoX @99PerCent!

It is amazing how far you can go with a brew of kelp, neem, oyster shell, crab shell, rock dusts and gypsum, and bringing mychorrizae to help. Fish hydrolisate stinks, but the plants seems so appreciate it. Most waterings are just tap water.

So I´ll try to keep some sort of log of what happens on my little grow circus. Below some of the current guests, all very appreciated, but I´m very much looking forward to see what comes out of my Space Monkey oddity (Gorilla Glue 4 leaf twist taken to the extreme, doesn´t even look like a cannabis plant).

The ACE Ethiopian has crawled all along, to the point sometimes I just thought about why it didn´t die already. But she seems to be boucing back (a runt probably? or that and she is not too happy with the medium, although it is not heavy or hot). Al least this morning she surprised me with some clear female preflowers.

Zamaldelica is going at full speed! Lots of vigour in this one, although there should be one or two more in the tent.

The topped dream beaver in the center (already sexed) seems much promising and its growing with a beautiful structure (four main branches with lots of nodes). The Sunshine Daydreams on top do not dissapoint (although I did, by snapping a branch in one of them, let´s hope it recovers but I haven´t applied anything to it, other that to put a sort of “cast” of garden staples.

On top left, some suspected males, who are waiting in line to meet my new Chikamasa garden scissors (highly reccommended).

I am not a big fan or perlite, so I´m trying to experiment with other materials for drainage and keeping the soil from compacting. In this next run I´m using mixes with rice hulls, RH & perlitle, RH & and coarser pumice. Further down the road would like to experiment with substitutes for peat, without changing the overall approach, as here it is expensive and not a sustainable input.

This tent also uses PCB LEDs, a mixture of 5000k and 3000k Samsung 561C diodes that run at about 1A.

Welcome all! :coffee:

8 Likes

wow that space monkey sure does look messed up! they look like they need food and water but i don’t know organic inputs.

what do you dislike about perlite? is it not organic? you could look in to growstones - they are sustainable i believe it’s recycled glass? just rinse it off in the bag first because it’s quite dusty

I wouldn´t know what else to feed them. The other plants are using similar ammendment/soil mixes and look fine (this was before watering some of them, and some have a bit of nutrient burn as I was experimenting with how hot the mix could be, to be used for first transplant without prior “cooking”). The Space Monkey males that I´ve already chopped being vigorous, lush and green, some of the better looking plants of the run. I would say the appearance of these two has a good deal to do with freaky genetics (particularly the lettuce like leaves and the beautiful bonsai-like structure of the runt)… After all, Bodhi wrote that Space Monkey was an experiment in extreme cannabis possibilities! However, I´m open to hear what others think about this, and their suggestions re. nutrients.

i’m not sure maybe it’s the lighting but they looked droopy and yellow to me, your plants in flowering are a much healthier looking green. yes those lettuce leaves sure look bizarre! ive never seen something like that, so it’s caused by genetics?

I´ll need to take and post more pictures (with something other than my crappy cellphone), but in the meantime its nice to see how far that little Peyote Purple has come after just a couple of months. The ACE Ethiopian on which I wished death on December is also doing beautifully and gives a wonderful mango smell… this strain certainly got my attention.

3 Likes

How did the ssdd and space monkey turn out?

SSDD gave good yields, decent smoke (I did not keep them, as they made me more sleepy than I would like), next time I will run the remainder of the pack and see which is the “best”.

The space monkeys got choked, due to a very low VPD (humidity way to high for temperature, not allowing the plants to transpirate properly), and crawled and went back for months. I put some photos on the chat thread, and some people suggested to cull, but I´ve kept them next to a window and they are monsters now that VPD has been corrected (+1.5g/gallon of epsom salts) and with the long veg time (even without powerful lighting). I will upload some pics of these in some weeks hopefully.

1 Like