Under the Floorboards V 3.0

Dang, it’s been a minute. Just plodding along down in the hole. Temps have been 55-65°, slows things down a bit.
I had to thin the 7x SSDD clones down to 3x. The tent is 2x4x4, so there’s not a lot of room for them to expand. They were getting spindly, and twisty, very healthy…if that makes sense.

I thinned those 3x out pretty well, too. Got all the crossing, and branches that weren’t going to amount to much, and any fans that were in the way. Figured the less foliage there when I do the sulfur spray, the deeper the coverage, but hay, we’ll see. I hope to do it soon, honest!

A few other cuts rooted

and got plonked into yogurt cups.

I’m saving the ones in the back tray to compare scraping stems to not. TBH, I got lazy and didn’t scrape some, scraping always works best for me.

I try to get them flipped around 18-24". Then I can usually train the renegades with some stakes, wire, and string as or after they’ve stretched.

She’s 57 days from flip, about 2 weeks left, I reckon.

I’ve got to clean up this tent for the next occupant.

4 x 4.5 x 5’ 240 DIY QB and a 315 CMH, both pushed up to ceiling, so really 4’ max height. It’s made mostly of leftovers from jobs.
The dirt floor is so uneven, I hung the room from the joists… too lazy shim everything up! It’s got roll up doors front and back, and that weed wacker is for trimming!

This lassie is the next bloom candidate, maybe next week. I just cleaned out her nethers for theis photo shoot. She’s rather liking the airflow up the skirt.

I don’t really keep track of veg time. I can’t have tall plants. The bloom head space is only 4 1/2-5’. So go for bushy, no totem poles. I top or pinch a lot. I go for a ball shape, I don’t know why, other than that’s the way they always end up!

Gonna drop a few of Bodhi’s Alunas tonight.

Thanks for tuning in!

23 Likes

Damn, though, she’s looking frosty! Which one is that? SSDD?

You clone like that, just sticking the cuts in a cup of water? I’ve seen people do that, seems like probably the easiest way ever haha.

3 Likes

Yup, my grail SSDD. And, she is frosty. Just trimmed one up. I dry trim, going through 5 pairs of scissors till they are too gummed up to work. Scrape, clean, and repeat till done. Usually go through 2-3 cycles. She took 6. That was ok, I like scissor hash :yum:

Another yup, easiest, and most sure fire way I’ve found. For awhile I could clone a stick just poking it in dirt. A couple of years later, nothing worked, at least consistently. No more mojo :frowning:

Tried all the powders and potions, built an aero cloner (which worked great on peppers and tomatoes, just not weed?), got a heat mat, son gave me a 64 station EZCloner, squat! I finally gave up, and started hating anyone who could get a strike!

Then, a couple of years ago, I thinned out a plant, and stuck some cuts in a cup of water, and forgot about them. No heat mat, sitting in a shady part of the bloom area.

A few weeks later I saw them, thought I should chuck that cup, and danged if it wasn’t full of roots!

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned how lazy I’ve become when it comes to growing, but I do take a little extra effort now and give the stems a little scrape, and set them on a heat mat. Then I’ve got to take a nap :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Dude, me, too. I dunno if it’s because I’ve been unemployed for five+ years or what, but I’ve gotten sooooo fucking lazy lately. Maybe it’s just this winter weather; 55 degrees is just too dang cold haha.

Do you think the clear plastic cup is somehow conducive to getting roots? I tried the “cloning in a cup” method once, but I put them in one of our drinking glasses, which is clear, but it’s dark blue glass. I think I kept them in there for two weeks, didn’t get roots, tossed the cuts. You ever tried putting them in a solo cup or whatever? Or do you always use the clear plastic?

2 Likes

It’s weird, I guess, but I seem to have lucky glass beaker. It’s got a funky mineral crust on the bottom I can’t get out, but almost every cut I put in it strikes!

I don’t remember if I ever used solo cups, but 1qt opaque yogurt cups do ok for me, too. So I don’t really think the light is a deal. But in your case, some blue glass is light blocking, they use it for medicine bottles. I’d experiment, but as a friend says, I’m a bone idle git :slight_smile:

I have some cuts that have been sitting in a little 8 oz clear milk bottle. I took the cuts the same time as those 3x I potted up, and they have no sign of roots.

I’m staying with the lucky beaker… hope I don’t break it now!

4 Likes

I am a bit superstitious when it comes to growing, maybe too much haze and baseball in the old days! So, besides the lucky beaker, I’ve got a lucky Skunk Train shot glass I picked up years ago.

3x Alunas (Columbian Red x 88 G13 HP) went for a 24 hour swim. Lifeguard is always on duty, no drownings, yet.

It took me a while, but I’ve become a big fan of vertical germination. Makes for nice straight taproot, usually!

Lay some bumwad in a DVD case, plonk in some seeds, stand the case up on a heat mat… and Bob’s your uncle.

I use the soft stuff, gotta be Charmin, don’ want any irritation or imitation. Put the points down. After I looked at this pic, I noticed the one on the right was pointy end up, my eyes suck :frowning:

Lay on another layer of tp, exactly 6 sheets per layer… it matters!

Close it up, set it in a baggie with a scosch of water in the bottom.

Lucky DVD case, too!

Stand 'er up on the heat mat, job’s done, at least for a couple of days!

12 Likes

Fat NUGS great diary.
KEEP ON THAT WAY DUDE!
and you ll have great flowers for a long time!
Without to need go out to buy cannabis.
Drug dealers an whatever.
Great GROW!

3 Likes

haha, that’s a lot of scissors. The SSDD be like that though… she’s looking great man.

If you don’t want to deal with scraping the scissors, I like to use a thin layer of coconut oil on them and on my gloves, it keeps things from gumming up so fast. Downside is you don’t wanna smoke what does collect, but it is way easier to remove the stuff from the blades with just your hands. Also, you can keep your scissor blades in isopropyl once they get gummy and switch out the pairs, I’ve seen some people do it that way… or you know continue to do it however the hell ya want :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks man… I haven’t had to buy weed since 1978 :slight_smile:

That’s the thing, I do, lol! I didn’t mean to sound like I was whinging, how many times I have to stop and scrape is like a mental score I keep for different grows… plus it breaks up the job so I can squeeze in a toke or beer, or two.

I might have an addiction to scissors, too :wink:

thanks for looking in!

9 Likes

Live resin scissor hash is the best part about wet trimming, just unbelievable flavor from those terps less than 24 hours off the plant, it’s what has me interested in fresh frozen tinctures and bubble now.

4 Likes

It is certainly delicious, and there’s a lot more than when I trim dry!

I’m a slacker, trimming dry is just way easier, and more leisurely for me. :slight_smile: But, I do think I get a better smoke from dry trimmed… it’s just smoother to me.

I make tincs, but from decarbed, cured trim/bud. How does the fresh frozen process go? I don’t get out much, lol

4 Likes

I’m dry trimming now too, at least the sugar. I do a wet trim of fans and the obvious unfrosty tips, but it is easier to just brush them when they’re dry. The fresh frozen tinc thing is something I’ve been reading about in @ReikoX tincture thread and some discussions about bubble hash. I think it only works for the frozen tincture extraction, which is what I’ve been doing with grain alcohol. Just freeze and wash! I’ve been trying un-decarbed tinctures to see if I get better medical effects from them without jacking my tolerance for when I want to smoke.

4 Likes

I wish there was a way to get terps and decarb together but as far as I know, it’s a choice between the two. It makes me want to find a strain with less THCA and more THC to try with, it seems like the only way.

3 Likes

I guess I do a wet trim, too! I don’t brush, how’s that work? I just clip off anything that’s dead, or has no trichs, trim to the sugar! I did see an ad for a silicone brush to clean weed… but no scissor hash :frowning:

That’s kinda the way I do it, too. I freeze, and give it a bunch of shakes whenever I remember. I’m a geezer, with a lot of geezer friends with a lot of geezer pains, and they like a good buzz! So, the consensus has been, the longer I leave it in the freezer, the happier they feel.

This last batch has been sitting for 10 weeks. We’ll see if there’s a tipping point in the length of time.

I really hadn’t thought much about THCA or THC amounts, it’s just what’s on hand. No way to test here. But I’m sure there’s a lot to learn. It used to be in pretty much any pain or mood med, think of all the research that could have been done since 1937 :sleepy:

6 Likes

I haven’t actually tried one of those silicone basting brushes yet, but my last harvest I clipped the fans and trimmed the tips of big sugar leaves then washed the branches. Hung and dried them, and before I bucked them off the branches I just used my open scissors to scrape gently at the remaining sugar leaves and get a medium close trim.

2 Likes

These Alunas are eager! 36 hours in the case.

10 Likes

Here’s the Alunas today.

I’m not sure why, but this way, usually sheds the helmet head and membrane :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Damn, dude! You wait a while before you get them in your coco, huh (you grow in coco, right?)? Shit… That’s crazy…

1 Like

I might get them in tonight, lol! And, yeah, I’m a coconutter!

2 Likes

I did get 'em potted up last night. They looked ready.

Husks and membranes were off, and the tails were getting nice and fuzzy.

Dibbled a hole in the coco/perlite, and added some Mykos and gypsum. I don’t know if that really helps in coco, or not. It’s a habit from when I was faffing about in mud, and it doesn’t seem to hurt them.

Watered them in with 1/4 strength MC with added P/K and Si. About .34ec at 5.7pH.

Set them under 50W of T5’s, 16/8, on a heated tray, in an insulated box. Temps are about 77°.

They greened up overnight. Tiny tots!

Hooves crossed.

14 Likes