Understanding breeding, how to achieve the best an strongest high, false beliefs an inbreeding depresion

This is an interesting read that kinda correlates what you’re saying.

Genomic studies of several new synthase variants have been recently carried out (Weiblen et al. 2015; Grassa et al. 2018; Laverty et al. 2019; Gao et al. 2020). Initially, CBDAS and THCAS were identified as co-dominant alleles at a single locus where BT/BT and BD/BD homozygous plants are THC and CBD dominant, respectively. However, recent advances in genomic studies have suggested the involvement of multiple linked loci harboring alleles at different loci. Weiblen et al. proposed this observation based on several factors such as the presence of diverse THCA and CBDA synthase sequences in test samples, expression pattern, and loci position on chromosome map (Weiblen et al. 2015). Onofri et al. suggested that THCA/CBDA variation is due to sequence variations at the B T and (or) B D loci (Onofri et al. 2015). However, Grassa et al. reports that divergence at the CBDAS loci is mainly responsible for determining the THCA:CBDA ratio of cultivars, resulting in cannabinoid profile differences between marijuana and hemp (Grassa et al. 2018). Interestingly, variation in gene copy number of THCAS and CBDAS has also contributed to varied cannabinoid content in cultivars and is responsible for phytochemical diversity, which helps with plant adaptation (Vergara et al. 2019).

11 Likes

There is lots of information here, but nothing is like having first hand experience about the matter.
Some guys are going to miss out on a lot of good stuff as they wait on the bigger kids to tell them what they can and cannot play with.
If they had the answers, everyone would know how it’s done and we wouldn’t be having this discussion.
There are guys who are creating consistently producing plants with repeatable results… but for some reason most guys are following the advice of those who are unable to produce with this type of results.
So if I wanted to learn how it’s done, I would follow the advice of the man that’s doing it instead of listening to those who say it can’t be done. There are many plants producing consistently. Their ability to produce is why they are in so many crosses.
My advice is to grow a few of those strains so you can figure out how they are able to do what they do. Then experiment with them to learn how they pass their genes.
That puts us right back at experience. Experience is priceless.

12 Likes

Experience is the teacher of all things.

Julius Caesar

7 Likes

Good article supporting Bt/Bd heterozygous condition for alleles controlling ratios. I like how the paper said that the amount of Cannabinoids can change depending on environment but the ratios don’t.

3 Likes

I also found it interesting they said they could see the ratios in 4 week old leaves in veg. You’d know which are the strongest without even having to flower them out :thinking:

6 Likes
  1. heterozygous alleles
  2. heterozygous alleles
  3. reduction of heterozygous alleles through multiple generations of inbreeding

Bonus:
4. you need numbers to ensure you don’t lock in negative traits while you attempt to secure the traits you want (or also with selection of multiple recessive traits)

9 Likes

I wonder if trying to tie all the traits you want up in one plant is possible. 1 trait 2^2 , 2 traits 4^2, 4 traits = 256 combos and if we are looking for recessives then you need “Numbers”!

But we all know this

5 Likes

I read a blog recently of a guy who was trying to produce a micro dwarf multiflora tomato (3 recessives). 1 in 64 plants stacked all 3… pretty cool. In that case you can determine dwarf from seedling, and then further find determinant in young plants, and then 1 in 4 had multiflora when clusters formed. Much easier if you can determine traits earlier in the lifecycle.

10 Likes

Awesome need to read this bro! Link?

3 Likes

Found it:

Pretty nice read. :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Just look at Eric and Julia Roberts.
Same parents,
Different bag appeal,
only one has sparkle. :grin:

3 Likes

Awesome, planted hundreds! That is crazy but with 64 combos there is no guarantee that anything would have shown up so numbers have to be high! The other skill was the ability to know what to look for which is a talent that is something I think takes incredible skill and something I really need to develop.

Thanks for the read LH

3 Likes

Found this thought I would share :grin:.

3 Likes

Low tech solution, various moms representing traits you dig, then just blend them in a joint. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Robert Connel Clarke’s Marijuana Botany is a must have for those interested in the subject of breeding

14 Likes

Excellent reference!

Clarke’s secret identity is “Professor Pot” :shushing_face:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Some really informative stuff in here, some big swinging dicks too but hey, there is always a signal to noise ratio🤷‍♂️

I would say ‘breeding’ requires big numbers and some sort of plan; even a loose one or it’s just making crosses, which there is nothing wrong with of course but breeding? Not really.

If you think about the allele pairs being a bit of a lottery in the F2 generation, then with a big plot you will get the gamut of possibilities, some of them will just be one big cluster fuck of deleterious alleles, for some all the right things line up and they will be outstanding and then of there will be everything in between. Unless you have hundreds if not thousands then selection by definition is limited and your chance of getting freak plant advantageous ‘transgressive segregation’ is also limited by the same factor. Inbreeding suppression is also often the result of inbreeding populations that are too small, it’s the the lack of genetic diversity within the plot that means the chance of them having deleterious alleles at the same locus is significantly higher. It’s like a lottery but with 20 of the same numbers in it.

12 Likes

Not exactly a question about breeding, but I remembered something from Robert Connel Clarke’s Marijuana Botany
I think I read that there. When a female plant is prone to throwing male flowers and that if she is pollinated this trait would not be realised.
I wonder if this can be used to produce seedless buds.
If we have some good plant for use, but easily start to throw male flowers, can we prevent that with early pollination on few small buds?

2 Likes

yeah but… the seeds from that girl are likely going to do the same thing when they’re grown out :confused:

2 Likes

Great Book always giving it a look.