Unidentified Fungus or something, seeking experts

Hello everyone, I have a questions and I am kinda stumped and seeking some experience. I have some weird growth in the dirt that I think may have been brought in by my motorcycle tires I used to surround the plant.… it’s hard, yet bouncy like when you push on it it springs back… I pulled out what I thought was all of it at the beginning of the season… and it keeps growing back. Doing a google image search came back with nothing similar… anybody have an idea as to what this is. It is not hurting the plant other than I have to water this plant like 3 times as much as the others…

5 Likes

Wierd. Def looks like a fungus but no idea what for sure. Looks pretty thick too

2 Likes

It is pretty thick like it has roots, here is a picture of the plant itself, couldn’t take one last night the light wouldn’t show it right…

3 Likes

Looks to me to be a whole shit ton of little brown toadstools (not edible or psychoactive) but should make for a pretty interesting pic in a couple days

6 Likes

Where does the soil come from and how long have you been using it?

5 Likes

Do you have cellulose fiber in your soil? Lots of different types of fungus go nuts on rotting wood fiber. Any fungus gnats?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Well it was sandy dirt that had chickens living above it for 2 years, then I decided to rototill 20 bags of top soil and it’s been through 1 season so far, this is second season and nothing like this happened last season, I figured the tires must have had something to do with it as this was the first year I tried the tires

3 Likes

I did throw in coconut husk when I tilled the soil… But was told it just helped the soil retain water… no bugs, but I have a ton of lady bugs in the greenhouse haven’t even seen a fly

5 Likes

I haven’t seen fungus go after coir before. Whatever it is they have taken a liking to doesn’t seem to be affecting your plants at all. I’d guess something breaking down in the compost.

Cool but mostly harmless :dolphin:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Never seen that before. It looks the corona virus pics you see online… :thinking:

Probably related to the chicken compost?? I collected about 4 gallons of chicken shit off of my yard from my neighbor’s birds free ranging all day at my place. I wondered about it. I always heard it needs a good aging period but fungus means it’s already eating nutrients, huh. If plants aren’t burning up in it, the soil is probably just really alive right now.

4 Likes

Well its looking pretty fungal dominant which honestly is not a bad thing … as thick as it is i doubt it will affect your root zone … id say its doing more protecting your roots

6 Likes

Were the tires full of any funky water still when you filled them with the soil? Looks chunky. How does the whole plant look as a whole, is it showing nice growth?
That amount of micros should be feeding it nicely/ interesting indeed

Looks like slime mold.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t know… not to my knowledge, but there might have been a little water in each one… just weird how it affected only one plant… It is showing nice growth and looks healthy, the only negative is it take 3 times the water to get the soil saturation where I want it…

1 Like

I don’t know if this would work, but if you extracted all of them as completely as possible, then place a thick layer of sand on top, you might be able to prevent their return.

Google White slime mold Physarum leucopus.

2 Likes

As Buzz stated slime mold, if it is sounds like it is bad for the soil
It retains moisture which will lead to root rot and possibly other bad things.
I am not sure, But if your plants start looking funky and sickly you could try and do a soil change with better soil.
Maybe Buzz has a fix also.

How does the top part of plant look, any chance of a whole picture of plant? Stem looks healthy

I’ve seen that grow in mulch, that I spread around the house on occasion. It seems to bloom, then hang around for a while. But if I remember correctly, it died out during the heat of summer.

1 Like

My guess is Nidulariaceae. :v:

1 Like