Unpopular opinion thread

As someone without a degree, I find that to be a non issue in the IT field 99% of the time.

4 Likes

I canā€™t speak to IT but I know people who have had job offers rescinded.

2 Likes

most i t work will be replaced by ai in a while anyway and the only work that will be left will be the phone people and a few like me who travel around resetting things and swapping devices. right now it pays me pretty well but with the influx of displaced workers it wonā€™t be like that much longer. iā€™m already seeing a downturn on work, but it may be the seasonal drop we always have this time of year. at least itā€™s gonna be a while before ai can work a farm.

1 Like

A piece of paper in the culinary industry allowed me to work in Mexico for 4.5 years, without it i would not have been able to. I can work anywhere in Canada based on my resume alone without the need for credentials and references but to go internationally many countries will not give you a job if you cant prove that you are considered a professional and that usually requires paperwork or apprenticeships as to not take jobs from their locals. l needed to be able to prove i was a professional in order to get the job as an executive chef. Most of the jobs ive had here at home were from word of mouth and my papers were irrelavant but people still knew i was considered a profesional with papers to back it.t the few jobs that werent on reference, the people liked to see the term culinary graduate and ā€œred sealā€ on the resume. Same can be said for alot of the trade industry as well, nit just industry thatrequire degrees. i would not trust an electrician that isnt certified. The paper does mean something and so do degrees. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

Customs agents do not fuck around in this.

I think having a degree, even a useless one, is a good thing.

Like you said, international work: paperwork.
Management training program: degree.

Some of it is just old fashioned elitism. Some of it is that university is a pressure test of ā€œI have 4 major assignments and two exams all on the same day no problemā€ and employers like to see that.

The women now days look terrible compared to the late 70s and 80s. I mean itā€™s kind of funny what the look of most woman have been trying to pursue. They either look like night workers or a mix of that and bad taste. Boo

Itā€™s not that far off though. At least in the dairy industry. I have a farm near here that the only thing humans do is keep equipment running and maintain animal health. Everything else on farm is automated.

Insert image here.

1 Like

how do they put the machines on the cowā€™s tits? i can see some of it automated but not that part.

They use a camera on the ones Iā€™m most familiar with. It has 4 infrared sensors for distance and a lense for vision. Iā€™ll link a video, but it is the same camera they use in the bunker buster bombs.

Itā€™s a quick video but you can see the attachment process.

1 Like

You canā€™t really see it in that video but that is a robot on a carousel that holds up to 79 other robots. The cows ride it like a merry go round while being milked. They love it, and will push each other out of the way to get to ride first.

1 Like

that is cool as hell! my cousin got stepped on by a cow once when he slipped loading them into the milking room. damn near killed him and he had a hoofprint on his chest for the rest of his life.

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s crazy how sweat they are but dangerous. I lost a friend to a dairy cow.

Depends entirely on where ya live!
In Michigan, most places wonā€™t even accept your resume without proof of a degree for anything other than entry level workā€¦Hell- some Fast Food places require a bachelors to apply for f-ing shift manager positions-regardless of experience!
THAT is why ā€˜no one wants to workā€™ā€¦if you didnā€™t put yourself up to your ass-cheeks in debt, you canā€™t get over minimum wage!

1 Like

In my experience, if you have the background and skills the education requirement is often over looked. Iā€™m specifically talking about IT.

Uh, Yeahā€¦like the men are any better??
SO MANY Men in their 30ā€™s &40ā€™s barely out of Momā€™s basement, wearing theirObi Wan Kenobi shirt and cargo shorts hitting on everything that moves- then pitching a fit and calling names or even assaulting the women if they get turned down!
Itā€™s ridiculous how many ā€˜ā€˜incelsā€™ā€™ are out there lately!!

2 Likes

This part really hurts.

4 Likes

So am Iā€¦Son and some of his friends all went to school for ITā€¦
Those that were great students but had to drop for financial reasons are NOT working in IT because they canā€™t even get in the door-- despite the one running a business out of his home the last 10 yearsā€¦

Thatā€™s wild to me. I have no degree and once I got my foot in the door itā€™s never been a issue and my resume speaks for itself.

Like I said-depends on where you liveā€¦ .hereā€¦ damn near everyone and their brother went to school for IT because the school advisors were seeing an increase in the need-- so the job market is flooded.