Unpopular opinion thread

I think your heart is in the right place and your intentions are good, but you’re missing some major talking points. I don’t know how long you’ve been out of school, but to me, your credentials appear to be largely academic. Have you personally put into practice (with cannabis) what you’ve learned with a variety of cannabis strains indoors? Intermediate growers can grow monsters outdoors with the right soil and conditions. The sun takes care of the rest.

Experienced (and inexperienced) cannabis growers are continuously growing new cultivars and poly hybrids. Not all of them have the same nutrient or even watering requirements. Reading not only the plants but the environment is a crucial part of successful indoor growing.

You mentioned in another thread to grow multiple plants to get the same yield indoors from soil as you would outdoors. This has been known and practiced as Sea of Green (SOG) or Screen of Green (SCROG) for decades. This is nothing new, it’s just not practiced as commonly today because, as mentioned above, people like to grow a variety of strains indoors now in the same tent and they all grow at different rates and different sizes.

You’re asking people that have grown the same way, in some cases for decades, to abandon years of experience and grow the way you recommend with nothing more than the statement “I have a PhD, listen to me.”

I’m not trying to discourage you from your goal of helping people, but a little more show and a little less tell would go a long way.

This just sounds condescending. I’m certain that wasn’t your intent, but it does.

9 Likes

I’m fully capable of mixing in compost.

I choose not to. I don’t want it 3’ from my bed.

I’m not going to dixk measure degrees with you but I have one too.

3 Likes

I don’t like soil inside my house. Attracts, or already comes with, bugs and then helps keep them alive afterwards.

7 Likes

You’re all just Big AG shills. Keeping Peters in business with your 25lb bag purchase every two years or so. Not to mention all of the other nonsense additives you buy from Big AG to obviously try and chase the real fire that can only come from organic microbial activity grown cannabis. I teach middle school classes about this monthly. Trust me. Big AG definitely doesn’t own any non-salt fertilizer companies either. Only the little guys own those companies.

10 Likes

Women hate it. I love it: Limburger cheese. One of the best is made in Wisconsin. Great types of it in Europe - like Miesbacher, Backsteiner, all kinds of French stinkies. And the prohibited raw milk cheeses (in the US) - like Epoisses. Great stuff. A nice odor :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i didn’t think so at all when i read it or now. maybe that has something to do with my perspective or something. has to have an effect on how folks receive my comments. thanx for that insight, gives me something to think about.

Man. I got something from the interweb “made in Sheffield”… tools required 14mm wrench, adjusibble wrench. It has a 14 & a :man_shrugging::beers: eh something that isn’t metric or standard. Cmin people. Wars were nearly lost because of this crap :joy:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

And started.

“My wrench is better than your wrench and your leader is a twat.” It builds.

2 Likes

Let’s recap then. I posted in a thread called unpopular opinion what I considered an unpopular opinion. It’s not a controversial opinion because it is evidence based and fully backed by research trials. I get called a fake expert. Not because my opinion is wrong (again, it’s based in fact. And not from some trial I did in my closet. From well designed, professionally done experiments) but because the forums don’t understand science. Full stop. You don’t. Do you tell your doctor what your blood tests mean or does your doctor have to explain it to you? Your doctor has to explain it to you because understanding science, not just reposting something you read, is a skill you only learn from school. Can some do it without school and training? Sure. Are those people here? Not likely. “OH but I got a degree” as a response doesn’t really mean shit. Your undergrad degree is a survey of topics, my PhD is years of immersion in a singular topic, for me that was organic agriculture, specifically cannabis production systems.

My job for the last 7 years has been working with growers, breeders, consumers, advocates, and other scientists to make Canna is better for consumers and small growers. I interact with them daily, 6 days a week.

Being condescending would be me quoting all the wrong statements on here in a peer reviewed article. Spreading facts isn’t condescending. I’m not here because I need my ego inflated, I thought a community that focuses so much on science and evidence based management decisions would benefit greatly from my education and experience. But that’s not what is happening here. Confirmation bias and Duning-Kruger in full effect. Again that’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. When you give an answer but people can’t understand it because they lack the education background necessary it’s not me being a jerk. It’s you thinking you know more than you really do about a subject. If your feelings got hurt then I’d suggest rechecking your posts. I return the energy I get.

I don’t feel this series of posts is helpful. This is definitely my last one in this thread. But the issue is stubbornness and refusal to accept science when it says what you don’t want or thinking because you took a class once you are infallible in your method. You don’t understand the knowledge gap between an undergraduate or masters degree and a doctorate, it’s massive. That again is just a fact, it’s not me being arrogant or jerk, it’s a fact.

I’m more than happy to pack up and take myself elsewhere if that’d what the community wants but you only hurt yourselves by doing so. My job is literally to help small farms be more profitable and sustainable by decreasing inputs and increasing output quality and quantity. Both indoors and outdoors. And I do it all for free because my salary as a professor is sufficient. Almost all of my free time is used helping small growers become more sustainable and ensure they can continue you to operate. And I have been absolutely successful, as have the farms I work with. More product, more secondary metabolites, less inputs, more profit, more sustainability. Every time. Evidence based decision making works.

But again, if yall experts here and don’t need any help let me know, I’ve got lots of other things I can be doing with my time. It’s not gonna hurt my feelings and I’d much rather be working and helping with a small family business than posting on the internet. I post on the internet because yall complain about broscience all the time and I can help dispel those myths, my bad I guess 🤷

6 Likes

I’m glad you only work with plants.

You’re too easily triggered.

11 Likes

I don’t find quotes with links to peer-reviewed papers being condescending.
I find that as sharing science.

You talk like we should be grateful you have graced us with your presence and anything you say :bowing_man::bowing_man:
If you wanna share some papers and whatnot, knowledge, we’re here for it.

10 Likes

The arrogance is overwhelming. When I go into my doctor’s for a blood test you can be damned well sure I’m versed in the potential results.

But I don’t have a phD so it’s not worth anything.

8 Likes

Wow. And I was just about to follow this thread… lol

2 Likes

Coffee is better than tea !

6 Likes

100% tea is sludge water.

2 Likes

Monster sunrise is the superior breakfast drink… unless it’s Saturday in which case breakfast shots!

2 Likes

I used to live on Monster Java’s and those MIO water flavoring things for years until I started getting IBS type symptoms. Did some research and found that Sucralose causes leaky gut syndrome which leads to IBS and other problems. Cut anything with sucralose in it out of my diet and I’ve had waaay less issues ever since. Wife too. I do miss those Monsters tho!

4 Likes

Unpopular opinion: It’s impossible to describe what he is trying to say without sounding a bit condescending.

Difficult opinion: Though, I’m sorry. This is definitely ratcheting up the condescension whether you are factually correct or not on the original claim.
(FWIW, I do agree with much of you’ve stated re: inoculation/microbes and have experienced the benefits firsthand).

Obtaining a PhD is a huge challenge of persistence. Which means you’ve studied a lot, have endured difficulties and sleepless nights, have outperformed many of your peers, have perhaps been involved in research and the writing of peer reviewed papers. Likely, becoming an expert within a subtopic. That is truly a huge accomplishment and congratulations is well deserved.

I appreciate that you’ve joined this forum hopefully also in search of knowledge while also exchanging your depth of knowledge with others. As you are aware, one of the difficulties of expressing knowledge to others is doing it in a manner that’s convincing and with just enough information to spur longer and more detailed discussion. Conversely, just saying it is so is not teaching, that’s recitation.

My brag. I’m honored to say that I’ve know lots of PhDs throughout my career. Some of which are associated with institutions globally ranked single digits. They very much own anything they desire within their field. One had even received a Nobel in Physics. The guys that did the event horizon black hole imaging, know them too.

One of those things that differentiate (most) of these PhDs is that they never feel compelled to be called doctor. They don’t advertise that they are the science. They know where they fit, they have made comfortable lives for themselves, and people seek them out for their unique depth of knowledge. They don’t feel threatened by others questioning them or offering alternative viewpoints. The have confidence. They also know that sometimes the most unremarkable becomes the most unimaginable.

Similarly, I would never call on these folk to weld on my tractor. It would be a disaster and someone would probably die. And, even so, I wouldn’t bludgeon a PhD for trying.

They also could not design a computer. They wouldn’t even know where to start. The results would be something 1980’s style of Tandy fail with a 50% chance of catching on fire.

I’ve seen PhD’s screw the pooch more than once while Joe with his office in the broom closet had the solution the entire time.

But, they accomplish the amazing. They can lead a team towards imaging a black hole linking radio telescopes situated around the world interconnected with sub-picosecond timing resolution. And, they had nothing to do with building any of it other than saying, this is what we need to accomplish and this is how much money we have.

Lot’s of science there. Lots of experts. No one person did it all. No one person knew everything about anything. The PhDs didn’t really know what was going on behind the scenes, they just want to see the results.

We’ve chatted a couple of times, I think it went well and was interesting. You clearly have lots of detailed knowledge and have provided some excellent insights which I’ll certainly remember. I’d love to hear more. Where you are going here though seems out of character.

Are there lots of misconceptions and misunderstanding on these forums. Sure. Are there insights to be gleaned. Yes. We try to do our best. Nothing is going to be perfect even the experts get it wrong often. Also, not to forget, many within this subculture are naturally skeptical of authority …

Academic researchers determine the ‘whys’ and then will call it original research* since it’s now in academic language, is added to the academic body of knowledge, and is usually linked to the past body of academic knowledge. To accomplish this, they apply their academic knowledge to determine what is of interest, the importance to the body of knowledge, and whether it contributes towards expanding the bubble of knowledge.

A goodly portion of what the academics research / write papers on ARE based on discoveries that they had no part in originally. This occurs ALL of the time with some actively seeking these new insights … many times derived from Joe public’s experimentation and insight*.

*And, most of the times they don’t give due credit.

The original ‘inventor’ or person discovering something may not have the depth to describe those ‘whys’, may not have access to a room full of subject matter expert PHds, may not have the background to expound on their discovery, or identify key insights of importance towards expanding the bubble of knowledge such that it’s reproducible and fits within the rest of the puzzle. This is probably the ‘gap’ you’ve referred to but is it reasonable to discount the discovery?

Some of us have traditionally looked towards research papers to help in our understanding of those ‘whys’. Unfortunately, as it turns out today, you’d practically need to have all of the expertise of the authors to determine whether the authors are full of shit … or if it’s even applicable. In some of these papers, one can’t even ascertain the experimental parameters. Publish or perish is a thing and it’s not always positive.

It would be a nice opportunity call for improving collaboration between those in academia, field experts, subject matter experts, and the practical. It could be good a thing.

If these conversations turn lob sided to benefit of one over the other or if we feel the need to bludgeon each other, then such conversations is simply futile.

22 Likes

Tortillas are better than bread !

4 Likes

Stail popcorn is better than fresh.

4 Likes